PDA

View Full Version : rock chip repair

funkthat
08-29-2005, 02:18 AM
anyone know of any good shops for repairing all the rock chips on my car and a ballpark figure on how much. also how long should i wait till i get 3m installed

Supa Dexta
08-29-2005, 07:41 AM
most any glass shop can do it, but your supposed to get it done right after it happens.. or within a short while.. It doesn't work right if dirt gets in there...

:)

BokCh0y
08-29-2005, 08:39 AM
i'm assuming you are speaking about rock chips on the hood? i went to a few places and most of them suggest just redoing hte whole hood. :dunno:

as for the 3m - install it after your front end is ALL redone.

funkthat
08-29-2005, 10:38 AM
haha funny photochopped IS! same color as my ride! do u own an IS???

well since i bought the vehicle with all these rock chips there IS dirt settled in there and thats why it looks so horrid!

so i guess i;m gonna go for the whole hood re-paint. u guys know of any reputable shops to do this (my car is a millenium silver metallic so i'm not too sure if just ANY shop can paint it) and what it will cost.

Laaaaaaaaterz

BokCh0y
08-29-2005, 10:58 AM
yeah dude i have an IS. Same color as yours.

I actually brought mine to Contemporary Coachworks to have an estimate done. They said about $1300 to re-do the hood and front bumper. Kinda pricey as some of the guys here said for that money you may be able to just buy a new hood and have it painted. Guess the best thing to do is just shop around. I do know that Contempary Coachworks does some excellent job and they do deal with a lot of the higher end cars. I had a spoiler and some other work done by them before. It came out really really good.

PM me pal. I have an IS Grill for sale - already painted too. Millenium silver. Looks like this:

dmtx
08-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Chippy down south do the chip repairs... Hyatt suggested them for chip repairs... they said to me they had no problems with the repairs done there for their preowned cars... might be worthwhile to check them.

Sorry, I can't guarantee them as I haven't used them yet. I'm just passing this info.

Mr. Burns
08-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Chippy does an OK job. I would just get the hood resprayed.

sullygully
09-11-2005, 03:30 PM
take the hood off, wet sand it down with 400 grit, then 600, then bring it to a paint shop. You should save at least a 1/3rd off your original estimate.

I'd paint it for ya for the cost of paint plus 2 hours labour(aprox. $300), but i live in banff, so that probably wouldn't work out eh?. :nut:

wally719
11-17-2005, 08:35 PM
before you repaint the hood you should check out www.touchup123.com i used it on my 94 black civic before i sold it and it turned out really nice. it is worth a try. it is definitely cheaper and less work than a repaint and standing off the car, it looks like new again.