PDA

View Full Version : Is the car a write off?

LudeRoca
08-30-2005, 09:17 PM
K my friend got into an accident on deerfoot the other day. She was in the very left lane. The car infront of her slowed down really quick so she changed lanes to the right. Only there was a car there that had been in a previous accident. His headlights werent working but i guess its okay for him to be driving the car at nite cause he had a sticker on there from the privous accident. anyways when she saw that car she turned back hard to the lane she was in before and spun out her car and hit the gaurd rail. now her car needs about 4-5k dollars worth of work done. She had it checked out and i guess the frame shifted. So i need your guys help to find out what she should do. Is the car a write off?? or should she take the chance and go thru insurence and get it fixed or get it fixed herself. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Davetronz
08-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Well, knowing what the car is (year, make, model, km's) might be helpful...

LudeRoca
08-30-2005, 09:34 PM
sorry.. its a 2000 integra se

illeagle
08-30-2005, 09:39 PM
that's just an estimate price.. it will go up..

If she don't mind waiting FOREVER for her car to be repaired, and doesen't need a rental, or loaner car, she should pay herself.. but for that amount of money, a new car would be better..

Chances are the car is now a write off...

I vote, leave the insurance out of this, and buy a new ride...

edit: if the car is drivable, tell her to take the car for a few more estimates at random shops, big and small... people lie.

LudeRoca
08-30-2005, 09:41 PM
hmmm i agree with you about buying a new car. but shouldnt she atleast get the insurence money for it. i mean she spent quite a bit on the car and i think taking the loss is not an option for her.

dooman24
08-30-2005, 09:42 PM
shit.. 200 integra..
sweet car..
that badly damaged..
just get a new car..

illeagle
08-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
hmmm i agree with you about buying a new car. but shouldnt she atleast get the insurence money for it. i mean she spent quite a bit on the car and i think taking the loss is not an option for her.

there's a good chance her car insurance will go up if she bothers them with the accident... accidents are not easy.. there's always a loss

LudeRoca
08-30-2005, 09:46 PM
thats true and thats what i told her. Only the problem is she shares the car with her mom. and now if its written off her drive carreer is done.

Seanith
08-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by dooman24
shit.. 200 integra..
sweet car..
that badly damaged..
just get a new car..

word... pm me with her number i'll take the wrecked car for a blowout price haha

but i'd definitely go through insurance. you pay out of your ass for years for nothing, but when something does happen why wouldn't you use your insurance? who cares if it goes up is it better to spend $10k of your own money to get another car?

SteveMo600
08-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Depending on the damage I would see if you could sell the car for parts. Is it a lot of body damage? Is the engine fine?

Maybe there is somebody on here that is willing to purchase the car as in order to replace parts on their integra?

LudeRoca
08-30-2005, 10:08 PM
the engine is fine. the car is still drivable. the motor pulses when you start it. the front bumper on the passenger side is pushed in and the hood is pushed up. i was thinking that it needed a new bumper and hood an maybe a lil bit fixed on the inside. but the quotes she got are pretty high. 4-5 thousand

ThinkAboutIt
08-30-2005, 10:19 PM
She deffinatly did the right thing in hitting the wall rather than either of the other vehicles since she now has the chance to not tell her insurance company. If the damage is just 5-6k she is likly much better off paying for the repairs or just buying a new car as I would bet that she will easily end up spending an extra 10k+(conservative estimate) over the next 5 years on insurance.

SteveMo600
08-30-2005, 10:21 PM
What did they say needed replacement on the estimate? If it's just a bumper and a hood then there are many places that could do that for much cheaper or else you could even do some of that yourself!

LudeRoca
08-30-2005, 10:24 PM
yea thats what i was thinking is get a new bumper and hood and the job is done for a lot less then 5 thousand. but she took it to two places and both said that the fram is shifted.

MrPid
08-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Get rid of the car. It'll never drive the same ever again if it's gotten twisted - no matter what assurances you get...

tapout
08-31-2005, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
yea thats what i was thinking is get a new bumper and hood and the job is done for a lot less then 5 thousand. but she took it to two places and both said that the fram is shifted. g&s frame repair ask for bob he will give you a kickass deal

lastprodigy
08-31-2005, 10:26 AM
not everyone on beyond is a bodyman, although some pretend to be...take it to several shops for estimates