PDA

View Full Version : accident repair question

GoChris
08-30-2005, 11:00 PM
some lady hit my wifes car in the parking lot at her work the other day...at least the lady didnt take off.

so we have her insurance information. my question is, she nailed the quater panel (and drivers door) and the rear quater had some existing rust on it.

i am going to go get an estimate this week, but how does that work? do I ask how much it is to fix without the rust, or does it get fixed as part of getting the damage she caused fixed? she dented and scrated it up real good so, its not minor damage i would say.

thx

lastprodigy
08-30-2005, 11:50 PM
lol....so you want them to fix it but leave the rust.....:thumbsup: for the honesty, but i dont think its really possible......just take fgor an estimate and see what they say...rpoly jsut wont guarantee the work on the rusted area...

Weapon_R
08-30-2005, 11:58 PM
INSIST that the entire area be repaired. I am sure most body shops will do the whole panel. Make sure they cut and weld a new piece of metal there. Keep looking til you find a body shop that will do it, since they are going to do the work anyways.

dmtx
08-31-2005, 12:27 AM
When my wife had and accident with our minivan, the shop said they will leave the rust! the damage was below the rust... and not part of the damage. I was kind of hoping they will include that in the repair but they didnt. If the damage is on the rusty part, I guess they wil lfix it. There's no sense pressing the rusty body.... just see what the shop will have to say.

dooman24
08-31-2005, 12:32 AM
ouch.. parking lot..
depends.. did you get the other insurance company to confirm they'll pay? cause the insurance may say.. parking lot.. so 50/50.. meaning.. you pay for 50 of her damage.. and she'll pay 50 of your damage.. depending on teh insurance company...

GoChris
08-31-2005, 11:09 AM
well, what I meant was would I have to pay for the rust repair myself. the damage was on the rust area as well so it needs to be fixed to repair the damage.

also the car was parked, no one was driving our car, so it can't be 50/50 as she hit it while parking her van. she also wants to not go through insurance so chances are she will pay the entire estimate.

thanks for the replies, I will ge them to make sure they weld in new metal. maybe I will get the other side of the car done at the same time as well.