PDA

View Full Version : N.A 6.3 Litre AMG engine, through the range...

Hakkola
08-31-2005, 11:28 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=106510

Looks like the new 6.3 will be available in pretty much all the models, even the SLK if this is true. Edmunds I think would be a pretty reliable source.

rage2
08-31-2005, 11:29 AM
haha interesting... SLK63? Wonder if there's a waiting list yet... ;)

Hakkola
08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, 500hp with 7 speed in the SLK would be awesome.

Though I find it kind of hard to believe and I don't see anything on MBcanada... Maybe they will detune it a bit?

Interesting to think about though.

When they had the ML55 it didn't have the same hp as the new and upgraded 55 cars, (like the S class which went from old 55 to getting the new one with same body style), but the new ML is getting the new 63 for sure, so that might be a good indicator that it will be used through the range, IMO.

However, no AMG version of the ML has come out yet, while there has been an SLK AMG wit the older engine, maybe if they were planning on putting 6.3 in the SLK they would have waited. What do you think?

benyl
08-31-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by rage2
haha interesting... SLK63? Wonder if there's a waiting list yet... ;)

Yeah, I wonder who might have started one.

benyl
08-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Yeah, 500hp with 7 speed in the SLK would be awesome.

Though I find it kind of hard to believe and I don't see anything on MBcanada... Maybe they will detune it a bit?

Interesting to think about though.

When they had the ML55 it didn't have the same hp as the new and upgraded 55 cars, (like the S class which went from old 55 to getting the new one with same body style), but the new ML is getting the new 63 for sure, so that might be a good indicator that it will be used through the range, IMO.

However, no AMG version of the ML has come out yet, while there has been an SLK AMG wit the older engine, maybe if they were planning on putting 6.3 in the SLK they would have waited. What do you think?

When the ML first came out, the V8 was the ML430. Later the ML500 came out.

MB does engine upgrades/changes midcycle all the time.

Hakkola
08-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Exactly, that's why i stated that they did it with the AMG engines in the S-class and some others, just basically putting stuff out there for discussion. They however didn't upgrade the amg engine for the last 2 years of the ML, but now the new ML is getting the 6.3.

If there's already a waiting list then it sounds like it should happen. Rage, if you're getting one you're going to have to take me for a spin.

C4S
08-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Finally .. new engine for 30 more yr ... :thumbsup:

/////AMG
08-31-2005, 12:31 PM
The new AMG 6.3 engine is freaking amazing. :poosie: :poosie:

rage2
08-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by benyl
When the ML first came out, the V8 was the ML430. Later the ML500 came out.

MB does engine upgrades/changes midcycle all the time.
New engines *usually* are introduced during a facelift. Don't expect the SLK to get the facelift treatment till MY2008. C32->C55 came during facelift, ML430->ML500 came during facelift. Although the S55 and CL55 got a "hidden" upgrade... 349 to 496hp by getting a supercharger, those 2 were done purely mid model.

I don't like the SLK55. But SLK63... I'd go broke for a few years for one of those!

Hakkola
08-31-2005, 01:36 PM
What don't you like about the SLK55? I think for the money it's the best Benz you can buy, they feel great, look amazing, the only thing I don't like is the way the door looks on the inside.

benyl
08-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Damn, so many nice high powered cars coming out in the next few years... what to choose, what to choose.

A C63 would be cool when the new C class comes out. Tire shredding monster.

rage2
08-31-2005, 01:57 PM
What don't you like about the SLK55? I think for the money it's the best Benz you can buy, they feel great, look amazing, the only thing I don't like is the way the door looks on the inside.
- Fully optioned out, it's $10k more than the SLK 32 AMG optioned out.
- 0-60 is identical/very close to SLK 32 AMG
- It's a bit faster 1/4 mile but mostly cause it launches better.
- SLK55 is heavier than the SLK32
- I don't like the nose (except in white). It's tolerable in black.
- Mods? Pricey to get more power. VERY pricey.

rage2
08-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Damn, so many nice high powered cars coming out in the next few years... what to choose, what to choose.

A C63 would be cool when the new C class comes out. Tire shredding monster.
C63 is coming. Rumors are SLK63 and C63 will be detuned. Lower rev limit, 420hp only.

benyl
08-31-2005, 02:00 PM
so then with a little bit of tuning / chipping, you can get full power, no?

rage2
08-31-2005, 02:05 PM
No clue. Don't even know WHEN we'll see that motor!

Hakkola
08-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Looking at another site I was seeing MY2008 and MY2007 for S class and SLK, E etc, so latest we'll see it is 2008 model year, which I think might be likely with the SLK. I don't remember exactly which was which though, if I see the article again I'll post it up.

E36M3
08-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Word on the street is that the SL and some other cars with get a twin turbo version of the 6.3 which would help differentiate them from the other cars.

As for the SLK55 comments above, I agree with Rage.. it is a really expensive car that isn't very fast and is quite awkward looking. Seems like there are more SLK55s in town than the other new generation SLKs.

Having said that, it is a pretty fun car to drive. I couldn't buy a car that small, but to each his own.. I prefer the big cruisers.. if I was going to get another small sports car, I'd prefer something more sporty and less benzy.

Hakkola
08-31-2005, 03:18 PM
I think it is very sporty and much less Benzy then any Benz ever has been, and 0-60 in 4.9 is pretty good if you ask me.

I doubt that they'd twin turbo the 6.3 unless they could keep the torque in check, as that is the reason for the 6.3 anyway, use with the 7 speed with lower torque handling capability. Twin turbo would likely bring the torque over the 540ft/lb (if I remember correctly), limit.

E36M3
08-31-2005, 03:25 PM
Hard to say. I disagree about the benz thing, but who knows.. I think the CLK DTM is the least benzy street car ever made by them.

Also, the 7 speed box is so unnecessary, as is a six speed box really.. I have a couple six speed cars and I so rarely hit sixth speed it is ridiculous.. really I think benz should focus on simplifying their cars for reliability after their awful run lately.

I think it is very sporty and much less Benzy then any Benz ever has been, and 0-60 in 4.9 is pretty good if you ask me.

I doubt that they'd twin turbo the 6.3 unless they could keep the torque in check, as that is the reason for the 6.3 anyway, use with the 7 speed with lower torque handling capability. Twin turbo would likely bring the torque over the 540ft/lb (if I remember correctly), limit.

rage2
08-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
Also, the 7 speed box is so unnecessary, as is a six speed box really.. I have a couple six speed cars and I so rarely hit sixth speed it is ridiculous.. really I think benz should focus on simplifying their cars for reliability after their awful run lately.
Just got back from driving the SLK350. The 7 speed gearbox is geared REALLY short in the lower gears. 1st gear tops out at like 45km/h, and 2nd gear tops out at like 75km/h. You're well into 3rd gear as you hit 100km/h. It makes it really fast off the line, the SLK350 from 0-100 feels like a stock SLK 32. By 120 it feels a little peppier than the old SLK320 (really slow haha). 7th gear is very close to my 5th gear in the SLK32. So the 7-speed is pretty nice for off the line drag races.

Other than that big difference, it drives better than the old SLK. The suspension feels nice, as comfy as the old SLK, but cornering feels as nice as the old SLK with stiffer springs. And yes, it still feels very Benzy. Nothing like a M3 or a S2000 around corners. It'll corner as well as those cars, but it doesn't FEEL as connected as those cars.

And yes, a twin turbo version is coming. The AMG engine line-up by next year will be the 6.2L V8 NA and twin turbo, and the V12 twin turbo.

Hakkola
08-31-2005, 04:00 PM
I can't comment on the track thing, you guys would have more experience with that, I've only driven the cars downtown and surrounding area.

rage2
08-31-2005, 04:06 PM
I can't comment on the track thing, you guys would have more experience with that, I've only driven the cars downtown and surrounding area.
haha never driven it at the track. I do drive pretty hard on the street! ;).

Really though, you don't need to drive hard to "feel" the difference.

benyl
08-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Spirited street driving... hahahhaha

max_boost
08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Way too baller for me, been wanting one for years but just can't join the club. :( Instead I'll settle for the S2K again :D