PDA

View Full Version : Holy shit the 2006 Eclipse GT is cheap!!!

heavyD
08-31-2005, 12:09 PM
I was just at mitsucars.ca and priced out a new Eclipse GT w/6-speed manual and the price is only $32995.00. Is this a mistake? I thought people were saying that they were going for $38K. Hell I would have considered buying one but thought they would be well over $35K. That's alot of car for the money when you consider it is bigger, performs better, looks better than an RSX Type-S and cost $2000 less.

statick
08-31-2005, 12:14 PM
it's $32995 after freight, pdi, tax, and all that crap ?

hollywood_35
08-31-2005, 12:15 PM
looking better than the RSX is controversial, but that is pretty cheap considering the 290hp rating.

statick
^263 hp rating you mean

pitwipe
I saw a review of this Eclipse on TV that said they only 15 MPG round town. Might be worth considering this if overall cost is a sensitive issue.

GoChris
08-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I was just at mitsucars.ca and priced out a new Eclipse GT w/6-speed manual and the price is only $32995.00. Is this a mistake? I thought people were saying that they were going for $38K. Hell I would have considered buying one but thought they would be well over $35K. That's alot of car for the money when you consider it is bigger, performs better, looks better than an RSX Type-S and cost $2000 less.

Originally posted by statick
^263 hp rating you mean

Still slower than your SRT-4 heavyD

ken-gsr
08-31-2005, 12:25 PM
ya but if you but a fat turbo on that.... then wow

Hollywood
08-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Ya that is a good price. It does look pretty hot too, wayy more sporty than the RSX since its been brought up. With that price you can expect G35/350z sales to go down for sure! Especially with women buyers.

Aleks
08-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Sticker price at Hyatt is $38,000 I went to the auto mall and the OTD price would be over 40K I was told. I would not consider that any sort of a bargain. It's got decent power but it also weighs 3560lbs :eek:
Also it outperforms the Type-s in acceleration very slightly and Type-S sticker is a few grand less...

Weapon_R
08-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Your quote is a little misleading:

Here's the prices for the 2006 Eclipse GT;

GT manual transmission - $32,998 + $995 destination + GST and/or PST = ~ $36, 372.51 in Alberta

GT Sportronic Transmission - $34, 198 + $995 destination + GST and/or PST = ~ $37, 656.51 in Alberta

There are also options to consider. The Aero Kit will run you $2500 more. Also, if this car proves to be in demand or mitsu limits production, dealers will probably sell for more.

heavyD
08-31-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Your quote is a little misleading:

Here's the prices for the 2006 Eclipse GT;

GT manual transmission - $32,998 + $995 destination + GST and/or PST = ~ $36, 372.51 in Alberta

GT Sportronic Transmission - $34, 198 + $995 destination + GST and/or PST = ~ $37, 656.51 in Alberta

There are also options to consider. The Aero Kit will run you $2500 more. Also, if this car proves to be in demand or mitsu limits production, dealers will probably sell for more.

Since when were cars advertised with taxes and destination? $34450 is a taxable base RSX type-S according to their site so the Eclipse comes in cheaper still as it's the closest example. If Road & Track says it's more refined than a 350Z or 2006 Mustang GT we can assume that it's more refined than the RSX at a better price. I know the Honda lovers will defend any "H" car to death but you can't deny that it's a bargain.

heavyD
08-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Sticker price at Hyatt is $38,000 I went to the auto mall and the OTD price would be over 40K I was told. I would not consider that any sort of a bargain. It's got decent power but it also weighs 3560lbs :eek:
Also it outperforms the Type-s in acceleration very slightly and Type-S sticker is a few grand less...

The CDN pricing was just officially released this week. I'm assuming that people that bought the initial shipments got ripped off.

88CRX
08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
but it still looks like a 4x4 dune buggy :thumbsdow

heavyD
08-31-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
Still slower than your SRT-4 heavyD

My SRT-4 ACR isn't much faster and listed at $31900.00:dunno: which isn't much less when you consider the crappy interior Neons have. Thank god for employee pricing.:D

heavyD
08-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
but it still looks like a 4x4 dune buggy :thumbsdow

When you consider the RSX may be killed off and how ugly the new 2006 Civic coupe looks inside and out, an Eclipse GT with lowering springs will look pretty good.:rolleyes:

dmtx
08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
When I was at the dealership 2 weeks ago, they were asking 39,000++ for their top model.

Xtrema
08-31-2005, 12:57 PM

When you consider the RSX may be killed off and how ugly the new 2006 Civic coupe looks inside and out, an Eclipse GT with lowering springs will look pretty good.:rolleyes:

I just test a RSX this week. What a piece of crap. Sure it looks good (but dated) from outside. Inside has material that Hyundai won't even put in their Elantra. God horrible consider this is made in Japan.

Thanks HeavyD, I never though about the Eclipse but the MSRP is making me have a second look.

Do you have any links to how the factory body kits looks like? And which Mitsu dealer I should approach?

philipoo
08-31-2005, 12:59 PM
the new eclipse looks dead ugly.

plus the rsx type s looks better and it's cheaper

88CRX
08-31-2005, 01:00 PM
an Eclipse GT with lowering springs will look pretty good.:rolleyes:

yup, 3.5" lowering springs would go along way :D

heavyD
08-31-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by philipoo
plus the rsx type s looks better and it's cheaper

Not according to the CDN websites and I happen to think the RSX looks dated and even when it was new never turned my crank.;)

rc2002
08-31-2005, 01:04 PM
I saw the comparison of sport compacts yesterday (I'm pretty sure it was Canadian Driver) that finally included the RSX-S along with the Cobalt SS, SRT4, and WRX. RSX-S was one of the worst performing but it took top spot because of how refined it was and how it was put together overall.

Only thing is, the RSX is WAY too common. Seems everyone and their dog has one. The Eclipse is definitely more novel since you don't see one on every second corner.

heavyD
08-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I just test a RSX this week. What a piece of crap. Sure it looks good (but dated) from outside. Inside has material that Hyundai won't even put in their Elantra. God horrible consider this is made in Japan.

Thanks HeavyD, I never though about the Eclipse but the MSRP is making me have a second look.

Do you have any links to how the factory body kits looks like? And which Mitsu dealer I should approach?

Platinum Mitsubishi was pretty good to my wife. If you look at one please let us know why the cars at the lot have had higher pricing than what the internet site now shows so we can all be more informed.

Aleks
08-31-2005, 01:07 PM

LOL are you sure you drove an RSX-s? I have yet to find a nicer interior in a car for less than 35K. The huydai's interior CANNOT compare!

b_t
08-31-2005, 01:08 PM

personally I thought the entire car was crap, in almost every aspect. it felt like my friend's 1992 Civic hatchback.

heavyD
08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I saw the comparison of sport compacts yesterday (I'm pretty sure it was Canadian Driver) that finally included the RSX-S along with the Cobalt SS, SRT4, and WRX. RSX-S was one of the worst performing but it took top spot because of how refined it was and how it was put together overall.

Only thing is, the RSX is WAY too common. Seems everyone and their dog has one. The Eclipse is definitely more novel since you don't see one on every second corner.

Biggest BS article ever and I have a subscription to C&D. They said the SRT-4 ACR was really fun until you wanted to sip a mocha on the way to work. The article says "cheap speed" and the slowest and 2nd most expensive car wins. If you look at the performance part of the comparison the ACR wins every speed category and goes through the course fastest. I know the RSX is a better put together vehicle but the article wasn't about "cheapest & most refined".

They should have titled it "cheapest Mocha commuter vehicle for a fat ass old man":rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rc2002
08-31-2005, 01:25 PM

They should have titled it "cheapest Mocha commuter vehicle for a fat ass old man":rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Haha. Well, who do you think is doing the driving for these comparisons?

BokCh0y
08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Car and Driver will always give TOP spot to anything with the "H" symbol even if it is disguised as an "A".

benyl
08-31-2005, 01:45 PM
I wonder how mitsu reliability will be on this generation.

Aleks
08-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Well the reason acura won C&D comparo is because of the things they judged. All out performance counted for about 25% of the overall score! So maybe the test should have been called something else all together.

heavyD
08-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Well the reason acura won C&D comparo is because of the things they judged. All out performance counted for about 25% of the overall score! So maybe the test should have been called something else all together.

It's misleading because maybe someone looks at the title and flips to the end of the article, sees the RSX win and buys one based on that. On his way home from the dealer an SRT-4 does circles around him while he is drinking his mocha and he goes WTF? Through the straights & the twisties at WOT he can faintly see the taillights of the SRT-4, then a Cobalt SS passes him, then a Saturn? Guy flips out goes back to the dealership and demands his money back. Dealer goes why? Guy says because this car was supposed to be cheap speed but Neons & Saturns are faster and cheaper. The salesmen goes "Hey, at least you got to sip your mocha in comfort.":rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BokCh0y
08-31-2005, 02:01 PM

It's misleading because maybe someone looks at the title and flips to the end of the article, sees the RSX win and buys one based on that. On his way home from the dealer an SRT-4 does circles around him while he is drinking his mocha and he goes WTF? Through the straights & the twisties at WOT he can faintly see the taillights of the SRT-4, then a Cobalt SS passes him, then a Saturn? Guy flips out goes back to the dealership and demands his money back. Dealer goes why? Guy says because this car was supposed to be cheap speed but Neons & Saturns are faster and cheaper. The salesmen goes "Hey, at least you got to sip your mocha in comfort.":rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

very nice i must admit:thumbsup:

Mr_ET
08-31-2005, 02:15 PM
you bastards your talking about the article in sport compact car aren't you.

let me buy the magasine first then talk about it !

:P

there are so few pages in there now that if you take this article out there is like nothing left to read :P

Aleks
08-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Car and Driver ^

Xtrema
08-31-2005, 02:56 PM
LOL are you sure you drove an RSX-s? I have yet to find a nicer interior in a car for less than 35K. The huydai's interior CANNOT compare!

I didn't test the S because performance isn't in my mind for this car. I tested only Premium auto and manual.

For over $4K premium over the Civic, you would've though it would have better material used inside (the is the 06 BTW, I remember 02/03 has better material than this one).

Very hard, very low grade plastic on doors and dash. The airbag cover remind me of 02 Civic. It's not flush with the surface of the dash and has uneven gaps on all side like if someone tried to ply it out.

The glove box as always has been low grade plastic but it wasn't trimmed properly and has sharp edges through out the rim. If I slid my finger thru, I know that I'll be cut. Where plastic meets has uneven gaps.

Stock HU is weak. Power plant can't really drive an auto tranny. It's noisy inside and both windows causes whistling noises.

Not really worth it for $28K. I expected plastic material of TSX/TL for (in the end) a $28K Civic.

I checked out the Eclipse. The interior material is WAY, WAY better than RSX and way easier on the eyes.

Xtrema
08-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Platinum Mitsubishi was pretty good to my wife. If you look at one please let us know why the cars at the lot have had higher pricing than what the internet site now shows so we can all be more informed.

Well there's definitely some gouging going on but the website left out the most important option of all.

GS Sun & Sound Package
Adds
- Rockford Forsgate Audio system
- Sunroof
MSRP: $3000
Dealer Cost: $2625

GT Premium Sport Package
Adds
- Rockford Forsgate Audio system
- Sunroof
- Leather seats
- Aluminum pedals
- 18" Rims instead of 17"
- 8 way power driver seat instead of 6
- Auto Climate control
MSRP: $4200
Dealer Cost: Unkown

I used my remaining report credit @ CarCostCanada.com to check out the GS's dealercost:

(M.S.R.P/Dealer Invoice Cost)
2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Base Price ($25,498.00/$23,963.00)
Optional equipment selected
-GS sun & sound pkg ($3,000.00/$2,625.00)
-premium paint charge (sunset pearlescent) ($160.00/$140.00)
-transmission - 4 spd sportronic automatic ($1,200.00/$822.00)

Freight+PDI $925.00 $925.00

Air Tax $100.00 $100.00

Totals including all items above: ($30,883.00/$28,575.00)

So the profit is about $2K for GS, and probably $3K on GT fully loaded.

But just talked to Platnium, they have no GS in stock and about 6 GT on the lot. Their stock are fully allocated til Nov (take it with a grain of salt). But seems like people are buying at gouging price, there is very little chance of a discount. And no availability of factory body kit yet.

I sat in the demo of load GT (they want $42K) in the show room. I find plenty of room and dash material are usually good except the center transmission column/armrest.

Guages looks hot. The center audio/HVAC column is cool if a bit feminine. No telescoping wheel which could be a issue for some with long legs, only height adjustable.

Didn't test the V6 since it's not what I want (But I know I'll want it if I tested it :D ). But since they have no GS, I'll have to wait for my test drive.

4doorj
08-31-2005, 07:25 PM
i like both cars!:thumbsup:

Aphextwin911
09-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Wow, I'm not sure where you guys are from, but I happened to be browsing some forums and saw you guys talking about the price of the 2006 Eclipse GT. I've had mine for almost 2 months now, and I love the hell out of it =) I had test driven 350Z's, G35's, and have friends who have let me drive their G35 the way it should be driven..hehe, and I just liked the feel of the Eclipse much better. With that said, the quotes you guys are getting I thought were really high... I got my UV Blue, 2006 GT, Sun/Sound package, upgraded wheels/tires (18inch) full power, all leather for $28,600. On top of that, we have 3 Mitsu dealers here in the Kansas City area, and according to all 3 of them I've got the only UV Blue one known to be around from here to Chicago. I don't have any way of really validating that other than the dealers word..but I've had well over a dozen people on the road ask me how I got my hands on a blue one =) Anyone know where you can get body kits for these things at? Apparently there is a shortage of the Aero Kit that comes from Mitsu, and when I finally saw one on a GS I was definately glad I didnt spend the extra $1500 for one, as I was not very impressed with it at all. Please let me know if there is anywhere selling custom ones yet. Thanks!

bspot
09-29-2005, 12:18 PM
We live in Canada. We have our own money here. Our prices are different than yours.

guessboi
09-29-2005, 12:19 PM
^ US dollars.
:dunno:

Mr_ET
09-29-2005, 12:21 PM
god bless us residents lol

lastprodigy
09-29-2005, 12:23 PM
yeah OTD price on the eclipse was heard around 38-40K whihch still seems accurate, porbably a couple more than the rsx....its not a bargain for 40K but i mean you are getting a lot for your money no doubt...ill stay out of the rsx Vs. eclipse part though :nut:

Moonracer
09-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Is it just me or does almost every thread heavyD starts or posts in turns into a HONDA bashing sesion? No offence heavy, I know you hate hondas. There IS a reason they are so popular. :angel:

Seanith
09-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by bspot
We live in Canada. We have our own money here. Our prices are different than yours.

:werd:
I swear, before being able to register people should be able to point Calgary out on a map of the globe :rolleyes:

guessboi
09-29-2005, 02:24 PM
^ I still think the fully load Eclipse is over priced...there was one behind me the other day and I didn't like the front looks of it.

heavyD
09-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
Is it just me or does almost every thread heavyD starts or posts in turns into a HONDA bashing sesion? No offence heavy, I know you hate hondas. There IS a reason they are so popular. :angel:

Not true. I've owned a couple of Hondas (1994 Civic Si & 1995 delsol VTEC) and they were great cars, not the best I've owned. I just think that their cars are overhyped when you consider that with the exception of the S2000 the rest of their line is one of the blandest in the industry, they have never built a car that had best performance in class, and their reliability while excellent still isn't as good as Toyota's. It doesn't help when you are walking down the street and hear a car go by with a loud, truly horrible sounding exhaust note, and there is a 95% chance that that car will be a riced out 127hp Honda.

They are popular because of the 90's hype. Their popularity is on the decline if you pay attention to trends as Civic & RSX sales have been on a steady decline.

Genjuro
09-29-2005, 03:30 PM
i was actually considering to buy one a month ago before i went to the dealership. when i got there ( i think it was hyatt? at the automall) price for the GT was 38+ without the aero package. (the guy also told me that the aero package that you see on the net is for toronto only... and what i see at the dealership is the only sport package they offer...?)
anyways that turned me off so i'll either wait till they have all wheel drive, dohc and turbo or i'll just get my audi RS4.

A2VR6
09-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Hmm i must say that it's a very good deal even at around 36-37k for that kind of car. Especially with that warrenty that they're offering. I actually kinda like how they look, but I really wonder if 263 hp to the front wheels a bit much? Like what about torque steer? Anyone driven one yet?

Seanith
09-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
Hmm i must say that it's a very good deal even at around 36-37k for that kind of car. Especially with that warrenty that they're offering. I actually kinda like how they look, but I really wonder if 263 hp to the front wheels a bit much? Like what about torque steer? Anyone driven one yet?

It would be comparable to the TL i think.. i've driven one, and torque steer is significant if your accelerating and turning at the same time, thats for sure.

Redlyne_mr2
09-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Aphextwin911
Wow, I'm not sure where you guys are from, but I happened to be browsing some forums and saw you guys talking about the price of the 2006 Eclipse GT. I've had mine for almost 2 months now, and I love the hell out of it =) I had test driven 350Z's, G35's, and have friends who have let me drive their G35 the way it should be driven..hehe, and I just liked the feel of the Eclipse much better. With that said, the quotes you guys are getting I thought were really high... I got my UV Blue, 2006 GT, Sun/Sound package, upgraded wheels/tires (18inch) full power, all leather for $28,600. On top of that, we have 3 Mitsu dealers here in the Kansas City area, and according to all 3 of them I've got the only UV Blue one known to be around from here to Chicago. I don't have any way of really validating that other than the dealers word..but I've had well over a dozen people on the road ask me how I got my hands on a blue one =) Anyone know where you can get body kits for these things at? Apparently there is a shortage of the Aero Kit that comes from Mitsu, and when I finally saw one on a GS I was definately glad I didnt spend the extra $1500 for one, as I was not very impressed with it at all. Please let me know if there is anywhere selling custom ones yet. Thanks!
How can you even compare an eclipse to a 350 or G35? It doesnt even stand a chance against either of those. Its fwd, its heavy as hell, its fwd and oh yeah its fwd.

93hustler
09-29-2005, 06:29 PM
I would buy a WRX over that eclipse anyday. The new Mitsu's don't seem to hold their value compared to Subaru, Toyota etc. Still a very nice car though.

Moonracer
09-30-2005, 02:28 AM
Not true. I've owned a couple of Hondas (1994 Civic Si & 1995 delsol VTEC) and they were great cars, not the best I've owned. I just think that their cars are overhyped when you consider that with the exception of the S2000 the rest of their line is one of the blandest in the industry, they have never built a car that had best performance in class, and their reliability while excellent still isn't as good as Toyota's. It doesn't help when you are walking down the street and hear a car go by with a loud, truly horrible sounding exhaust note, and there is a 95% chance that that car will be a riced out 127hp Honda.

They are popular because of the 90's hype. Their popularity is on the decline if you pay attention to trends as Civic & RSX sales have been on a steady decline. [/B]

Fair enough you've owned a couple, i'm on number 5 now...lol We certainly don't see eye to eye when it comes to hondas thats for sure. I think they have one of the nicest interiors and always get rated as so in tests and whatnot. And I do believe they are currently #1 in reliability and customer satisfaction above toyota. I'll take my 127hp and use it wisely thanks...;)

ps. I do like the new eclipse though but haven't had a chance to drive it or look over the stats to closely yet. If it's somewhere in the 3500lb realm then that is a real downer :thumbsdow

Orbie
09-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

How can you even compare an eclipse to a 350 or G35? It doesnt even stand a chance against either of those. Its fwd, its heavy as hell, its fwd and oh yeah its fwd.

Agreed, HeavyD best thing you can do and I'm sure you've already figured it out is test drive the car. I test drove the GT Eclipse back when it first hit Calgary and I was almost 99% sure I was going to buy it, but the test drive left me very very unimpressed!

First the interior isn't as great as they advertise, very very comparable to the SRT-4, cheap materials and cheap look. Without a stiffer suspension, and a lower center of gravity the car feels 'floaty' all the time. Not to mention it looks like a 4x4 and when you sit in it you feel like you are sitting in one too! As for room? well if you want the sunroof you have to get the stupid 600watt system which puts a huge honkin subwoofer in the already puny trunk. Rear seat room is nothing, if you are over 6' the back of the front seats is touching the back seat. The 2G Eclipse has more rear legroom when I'm sitting in the front. I know people will rag on me for talking about interior room in the Eclipse, but if I'm spending 40000K on a car that advertises a back seat, it better be usable! My G35 does a much better job of that!

Now as for power, it feels more like it has around 220hp. You can really feel the weight of the car taking a toll on the power. With 260 lb.ft of torque you would think this car would have plenty off the line, but it feels like my 98 Honda Accord up to 4000rpms. Once you reach 4000 though the car takes off like a bat out of hell! way way too uncontrollable, Torque steer out to wazoo! With a FWD layout and the light suspension the car floats under hard acceleration and needless to say the tires break loose very easily. The OEM tires are also crap, they can barely handle the power and weight of the car on cornering. When the salesman was driving us out of the lot, he tried to show off the power of the car on a left turn in a four way intersection. All that happened was the tires squeeled like pigs and we ended up going the same speed as the people that turned normally...very embarrassing. This car is crying for a LSD.

Now some people are probably thinking how you could fix all these things with aftermarket mods. Which is true and would add a lot to the car, but the one most annoying thing for me that made it undrivable and that you cannot change is the field of view from the drivers seat. The A-pillar is placed so far forward the resulting placement of the sideview mirror and window frame greatly restrict the field of view and are just downright annoying. All you see while driving is these two annoying black window frame pillars in the corners of your eyes. Rolling down the windows makes it more annoying since that one piece of glass between the A-pillar and window frame doesn't go down, sort of like the SVX but much less stylish.
Oh well enough blabbling, just my 2 cents about the new Eclipse.

takeshi
10-01-2005, 09:31 PM
lol haha the eclipse is beautiful minus the front bumper? The rsx however is very fuel efficient, If i had to chooooooose, i don't know they both have their ups and downs.
I think the Eclipse by a nose :thumbsup: