PDA

View Full Version : A Serious Volkswagen Rant

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 12:51 PM
I am FUCKING THROUGH with Volkswagen and their shoddy customer service tactics. I'm sorry usually I'm pretty calm but after spending the last hour with incompetant "customer "care" representatives" I've gone through the roof.

Basically the rant is because if you are a Volkswagen owner, did you know that some people are getting free repairs/reimbursements for jobs that you are paying for?

As a loyal customer of Volkswagen since I bought my car, I've followed their maintenance schedule religiously, and taken everything to the dealership with the exception of oil changes. I've followed through on any of their recommendations for service and trusted them with my money. It's always nice to think if you keep all your records and go back to the same place continously, maybe they'll help you out somewhere down the road. Not true.

It's regarding a part in the power window mechanism, a couple plastic clips caused me to have to put a new $180.00 panel in my door. Now I'm waiting for the other side to break. Soon after I bought the new panel I did some research and found out that many other people had been given the service out of "good will" for free, and also their other side was replaced free of charge as well.

Maybe if they didn't give so many "good will" exceptions out, they could charge less than $180.00 for a sheet of metal with two arms on it.

I've talked to the warrenty representative at South Centre Fine Cars, then the 1-800 number, then the warranty rep again, then the 1-800 number and they keep see sawing me back and forth.

I am so pissed off right now it's not even funny. Maybe if this was Joe's Automotive Repair I would expect some customers being treated better than others, but not Volkswagen Canada.

My personal favorite piece of dialogue from the conversation was

(me) "So you expect me to just forfeit this $180.00, install it myself, keep taking my car back to your dealership to have it serviced and maintained, and patiently wait for my drivers side window to break, and graciously take it back in and pay another $180.00 and go through this all over again?"

(customer rep) "Sir, I don't expect you to do anything"

I know this rant isn't going to do a lot, but if you've followed through the whole post perhaps I could have brought something to your attention here. It really makes me wonder how many other repairs I've had done there that have been given free to other customers out of this "good will".

As far as what I'm going to do, I am absolutely through with dealing with Volkswagen. I'm not as much pissed off about not getting reimbursed as I am upset about the customer service I have been given by this mysterious 1-800 number where they know everything about me and I can't even know the guys name I was talking to.

My Jetta has been one of the best things to ever happen to me, but this will be the last Volkswagen I will ever own, and I will be going elsewhere for my repairs and maintenance. I know I alone wont make much of a difference, but I'm sick of taking shit from these complicated corporations who are designed to fill in time from 9-5 rather than taking care of the customers who built their financial health.

Anyone care to comment... I think I really need a hug.

QuasarCav
08-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Corporate BS at it's finest.

I cant offer much help in the way of fixing your problem but my mom says I give good hugs.:thumbsup:

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Corporate BS at it's finest.

I cant offer much help in the way of fixing your problem but my mom says I give good hugs.:thumbsup:

Yeah no problem. All I care about is that the more people who read this thread, the more people will be aware of this "good will" service. I think it's dishonest, unprofessional, and upsetting considering the amount of money I've spent at that dealership.

heavyD
08-31-2005, 01:01 PM
This type of VW thread is starting to become all too common. You don't have to worry about me buying a VW.:thumbsup:

01RedDX
08-31-2005, 01:04 PM

rc2002
08-31-2005, 01:09 PM
^ Customer service at dealerships is always hit and miss. Seems like it misses a lot more for German cars - there's always horror stories for VW and BMW and Mercedes...

Moral of the story: Buy a quality Japanese import. :D

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
This type of VW thread is starting to become all too common. You don't have to worry about me buying a VW.:thumbsup:

No kidding hey? It makes me wonder how many owners are suffering in silence and don't even know that other owners are getting things for free.

Anywho I quick update, I've now got my dad involved as he is a typical "executive business man" so perhaps he can handle this corporate battle a little better. He's been on the phone with the manager of Southcentre Fine Cars and the manager told him he see what they could do and call him back.

If nothing works then, we are headed straight to the Better Business Bereau... maybe they'll hear us then!

Please don't anyone tell me I have too much time on my hands, that's not what I want to hear right now!

Originally posted by 01RedDX
I consider VW owners nazi sympathizers j/k I mean it's no secret the company was founded by Hitler :thumbsdow

In the past I would have disagreed with you and called you an idiot, now you've got me wondering...

R-Audi
08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
You should post on www.newveedub.com there is a tech from SCFC on there, and he is usually quite helpful..

Lo)2enz0
08-31-2005, 01:22 PM
deleted, by myself...

Aleks
08-31-2005, 01:25 PM
I owned a Jetta for a month, then I saw the light...

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Screw you guys with your nazi horseshit in this thread. Thats just ignorant and insulting.

Yeah sorry I agree that was definitely uncalled for. I don't want it to stray the intentions of this thread.

Anyway you can delete those replies Ben?

finboy
08-31-2005, 01:29 PM
i like vw, but i'm taking a LOOONG break, the mk2 gave me a worse time then ANY car i have ever owned, maybe i'll snag a tdi when i have lots of spare cash for when something does go wrong.

Ben
08-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Anyhow, sucks ass about your luck, having family and close family friends high up in the VW industry, it's always rough to see people getting hosed. Seems to be more common too which is no good.

I'll make a few calls and see what I can accomplish.

Cheers.

benyl
08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Japanese reliability and bland styling over Euro styling and bad reliability.

I will keep buying japanese.

Weapon_R
08-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Preferential customer treatment happens in all walks of life.

brandon
08-31-2005, 01:44 PM
I consider VW owners nazi sympathizers j/k I mean it's no secret the company was founded by Hitler :thumbsdow

Yeah I agree man, They are all nazi sympathizers!!!!! lets go burn all VW's. Wait lets not stop there! Let's burn Audis, Porsches, Lamborghini's, Bugattis!! BURN THEM ALL

:banghead: :rolleyes:

EDIT: btw nice commie flag :rolleyes:

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I'll make a few calls and see what I can accomplish.

Cheers.

Okay thanks, although I'm not sure how far you'll be able to get.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Preferential customer treatment happens in all walks of life.

That may be true, but it doesn't mean I have to stand for it.

Fivewayradio
08-31-2005, 02:02 PM
I've always liked VW as a brand but have grown to loathe them. My parents owned a diesel MkI a number of years ago and it was awesome, but impossible to keep running in the winter, so it had to go.

I recently owned a MkII and it was a total piece of shit. I replaced the entire ignition system and spent more on it in parts (I do my own work) than I paid for the car. I can only imagine what repairs would have cost if I'd taken it to a mechanic to fix. That fucking sack of shit left me on the side of the road three times in the year I drove it.

My parents bought a Mk4 but sold it after just two years because it was a total piece of shit. They spent close to $3k in repairs on a two year old car that was on warranty. The warranty apparently doesn't cover a whole lot and they don't recall things that should definitely be recalled. And the customer service was brutal when trying to sort these problems out. My dad felt that VW simply had no interest in trying to solve his problems.

My folks still own a Westfalia and it's piece of crap too. The Audi motor is impossible to find parts for and I'd really hate to have it break down while travelling in it, because you'd definitely be stuck whereever you are for several days while you waited for parts. Get this--a week to order fucking spark plug wires from Germany. Can you even believe that? My dad still takes it to Northland, who have proven themselves to be totally inept. There was a problem with low auxilliary voltage and after spending $500 troubleshooting it, still couldn't tell what the problem was. They took it to an RV repair shop only to find out that there was an auxilliary battery that had bought the farm. Dumb fucks at Northland didn't even know there was a second battery.

I can't say that I'll never own another VW, because I'd definitely like to have an older project car. But I'll never buy a new one and I'll certainly never support their service departments. Not to mention the new Jetta looks like ass.

That's my rant.

sputnik
08-31-2005, 02:08 PM
I hope you get your $180 back so that I dont have to listen to you rant any longer.

GoChris
08-31-2005, 02:14 PM
that sucks to hear. fortunately (for me) I learned this already about VWs and have never owned one and never will.

hope it works out for you.

Mr. Burns
08-31-2005, 02:15 PM
I had the same problem you did, and they fixed it (not becasue of good will, because of warranty) I see your Jetta is a 99.5 meaning your warranty expired quite some time ago

You get no sympathy from me. An expired waranty means you have to PAY for your repairs.

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Before things get too far off track, I just want to remind everyone that the point of this thread was to bring attention to these "good will" exceptions being give to some Volkswagen customers and not others, and to state my disatisfaction with the customer service I had been given by the 1-800 number.

Lets keep it on track to that, and save the break-down stories for future threads. Things break...I understand that, but I do expect consistancy in the care of the needs of customers.

I don't know maybe I'm just dreaming:dunno:

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by mrburnsvw
I had the same problem you did, and they fixed it (not becasue of good will, because of warranty) I see your Jetta is a 99.5 meaning your warranty expired quite some time ago

You get no sympathy from me. An expired waranty means you have to PAY for your repairs.

I really don't want sympathy from you.

I realize my car is out of warrenty, but so were the 6 other cases I found where cars were aged 1999-2002 and were given the repairs for free out of "good will".

Mr. Burns
08-31-2005, 02:21 PM
I can see how that would piss you off. I think that those peeps should've had to pay for it too.

sputnik
08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

I really don't want sympathy from you.

I realize my car is out of warrenty, but so were the 6 other cases I found where cars were aged 1999-2002 and were given the repairs for free out of "good will".

So because a handful of techs at VW know about the issue and you got the "new guy" or the guy that "didnt get the memo".... that you have the right to complain that you had to pay for your repair and it is somehow a deficiency in the entire Volkswagen Auto Group? Perhaps if you did some research prior to running to the dealership you wouldnt have had this so-called "problem". That being said, if you didnt know that you could get the clips for free why should you expect the tech you dealt with to know as well?

Face it. It happens all of the time. Cars break and sometime people end up paying for parts that they didnt need. This isnt just a problem with Volkswagen, it exists everywhere. Suck up the $180 and move on with life.

euro tang
08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
That's :bullshit:

I was just reading a thread called What do you think has been VWs biggest mistake in the past 5 years? and a lot of people seem to be complaining about VW customer service.
Biggest mistake is NOT HAVING A CLUE ON WHAT QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE IS. They don't have a grasp on the power of gaining loyalty from owners.

Volkswagen customer service is the WORST in the industry. The service agents and their attitude toward VW owners turns off current owners and motivates these owners to warn future VW buyers.

I sold my golf and can't wait to get rid of my Passat.

And VW buyers BEWARE!!!!!

source (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2164051)

I can't say I've had any issues with Audi. In fact they've given me great service thus far. Get an Audi :)

sputnik
08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
^

How can you consider a post on VWVortex to be a reliable source? You might as well take Hockeybronx' opinion from Beyond and post it on VWVortex.

BTW - Audi is owned by VAG and shares many mechanical parts and engineering with other VW cars.

Lo)2enz0
08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Screw you guys with your nazi horseshit in this thread. Thats just ignorant and insulting.

it was a joke from another thread when I explained why the called it the peoples car. sorry if I offened anyone, but since ben won't delete it I will.

Sure VW has a really bad warrenty policy, when I got my transmission fixed (the CB joint snapped) they said that this was a regular problem with the automatic transmissions and than they charged me $600 to repair it. If its a problem that is occuring in the transmissions why wouldn't they warrenty it and why would I have to fork out money for a problem.

This is why I stopped bringing my car there and now the tranny is getting worse, and I don't so anything stupid in this car and its seems like when it shifts when I am taking a turn it joilts. i am sick of VW myself, but I need a car thats better than my 240sx with reliablilty.

euro tang
08-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
BTW - Audi is owned by VAG and shares many mechanical parts and engineering with other VW cars.
:rolleyes:

That's why I was suggesting that if you like VW but dislike their service then get an Audi instead. Both makes have similar styling, only Audi probably has better service.

Mr. Burns
08-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Audi's rate way higher on the pimp scale too... and if you are going for an A3 they arent much more than an fully optioned out GTI.

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 03:39 PM
I hope you get your $180 back so that I dont have to listen to you rant any longer.

Face it. It happens all of the time. Cars break and sometime people end up paying for parts that they didnt need. This isnt just a problem with Volkswagen, it exists everywhere. Suck up the $180 and move on with life.

Listen I don't know much about you, so I'm not sure if you have a direct problem with me or if you are just coming across as bitter. First of all you don't have to listen to my rant, you clicked on the thread and read through it all.

Secondly I totally realize that cars have issues every single day, from every manufacturer. You are totally missing what I am saying. What I'm saying is:

- VOLKSWAGEN specifically gave these "good will" repairs to other VOLKSWAGEN customers. I know it happens with other dealers but since my car is a VOLKSWAGEN I'm only going to talk about my personal business

- I had no problem paying for the part since it was out of warrenty, until I realized that the replacement part had been modified from the original, and until I realized that others were getting the repair for free. Keep in mind I do have a drivers side that I am just waiting for it to break.

I thought I've spelt it out clear enough, but you seem to be ignoring it every time. I'll take your point (pay the money and shut up) in mind, as long as you walk your own talk and never complain about any type of repair job you have to pay for again.

And I'm not in your face at all, we're just discussing what we're writing.

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
but since ben won't delete it I will.

Thanks I appreciate that man:thumbsup:

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 03:41 PM
A QUICK UPDATE.

My dad has been on the phone with the manager at Southcentre Fine Cars and they have tentatively agreed to reimburse $90.00 out of the $180.00.

I am very thankful for that, and I will again mention my beef is with corporate Volkswagen customer service not neccesarily the parts or the dealership.

tictactoe2004
08-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Wow, I feel bad for all you guys... i'm on my fourth VW, I had a 83 GTI - 91 GTI - 93 Jetta and 2001 GTI. They've all been excellent cars, I have about 85K on my GTI now and have not dished out 2 cents other than oil changes and gas. Sorry to hear about the problens you guys have had, it's just aweful luck that you got a lemon.

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
Wow, I feel bad for all you guys... i'm on my fourth VW, I had a 83 GTI - 91 GTI - 93 Jetta and 2001 GTI. They've all been excellent cars, I have about 85K on my GTI now and have not dished out 2 cents other than oil changes and gas. Sorry to hear about the problens you guys have had, it's just aweful luck that you got a lemon.

Again, I wouldn't consider my car to be a lemon. I've had zero mechanical problems since buying the car, this is the first problem I've had and the problem begins with a faulty part, continues on when some customers are getting replacement parts for free, and ends when customer service representatives wont help you out at all.

I absolutely love my car, it's just the sporadic customer service that has me ranting.

Khyron
08-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Well for what it's worth, I do believe there was an 8 year goodwill warranty extension for both coils (1.8Ts) on Audi/VW as well as VW window regulators (your problem). However, I don't think 1999.5 was covered. Mass airflow sensors are also covered for very specific year runs.

The dealer really has no say in the matter - he shouldn't have to eat the cost, even though he's agreeing to take half as a show of faith.

You need to hammer VW Canada, speak the lingo, and ask what years are covered on for window regulator replacements and re-embursements.

As for that vortex article having no weight, if it's the one I'm assuming was posted, it actually is read and posted in by one of the VPs of VW America.

Khyron

Khyron
08-31-2005, 04:53 PM
http://is.rely.net/2-1060-10191-l-STw7wJ9bKUDLiuJZ7VwQ.jpg

Whups, guess it's 7 years. Now, VW USA and VW Canada have nothing to do with each other, but I'm pretty sure Canada has something similar. Phone them back.

FYI if it happens on your other side, it's 10 bucks for the metal clips - can do it yourself if you're feeling bold.

Khyron

hockeybronx
08-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
[BFYI if it happens on your other side, it's 10 bucks for the metal clips - can do it yourself if you're feeling bold.

Khyron [/B]

Thanks for posting that letter, that just might come in handy as I continue this!

Where do you get these clips from? Not the dealership? They told me the only option I had was to replace the entire inner panel.

I ended up installing the panel myself, so if I could have found these clips then none of this would have happened in the first place.

Khyron
08-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Well as you probably gathered, this was a BIG deal 2 years ago and VW tried to ignore it. US people launched a class action suit which made the extended warranty. However it technically doesn't apply in Canada. So really all it shows is that VW is aware the part is shit which might give you some bargaining power. (The clips are plastic until 2002.5ish)

I think the dealers were more into faith warranty when it happened 2-3 years after car purchase. Yours is 5. While regs should last a lifetime, they can argue you didn't have a "faulty" part as it lasted 5 years.

Anyways, you will learn to avoid dealers as much as possible. I've had 2 garbage bags, a roll of tape and 2 spare coils in my car ever since I bought it for exactly this reason.

For the regs:

Tutorial: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107

Part number for just the clips should be: ZVW-269-202

Owning a VW is like being in prison. You either join a gang (club) and work as a team, or you end up getting raped in the laundry room by Bubba.

Khyron

nismodrifter
09-01-2005, 03:34 AM
They broke in my dads Jetta....were replaced with no questions asked when the car was still under warranty.

I don't think they've been done in le pimp whip....and I'm hoping the stupid window doesn't drop on me one day when its -5444 outside. Maybe the duct tape+garbage bag is a good idea....

FiveFreshFish
09-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
[BMaybe the duct tape+garbage bag is a good idea.... [/B]

Clear poly is the way to go or the clear garbage bags for leaves.

nickyh
09-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

Owning a VW is like being in prison. You either join a gang (club) and work as a team, or you end up getting raped in the laundry room by Bubba.

Khyron

LOL! Good quote Khyron.:thumbsup:

I call it VW Roulette - you know you have the loaded gun and it's a matter of time......

Fingers crossed - two more years on my lease that nothing else happens to my VW.

Khyron
09-01-2005, 08:50 AM
I actually like mine and won't be trading it in, unless it's for the new MKV. But I have time to keep up on the forums, I bought the factory scan tool and don't mind doing small stuff myself. That's a pain for many people though. At least you don't need to worry about trannys falling out or blowing head gaskets.

Khyron

ricosuave
09-01-2005, 10:40 PM
ah, its true what they say, pay for the car once, pay for the car twice in parts and service!

ive had to learn a lot of dumb, little fixes myself, and find a backyard vw tech to do the other dirty work for me.

if only diesels were more prevailant in other models, id be hooked.

as it is, im sticking with my 97 diesel jetta for now.

http://www.myvwlemon.com/
http://www.suckercars.com/index.pl/lemon_cars

and, sputnik, there are probably twice as many people who have a beef with vw can or vw of usa over their shoddy parts, workmanship and service than there are satisfied, willing to buy another customers.

if you dont believe me, look it up.

google is your friend.

hockeybronx, sorry youre having to learn the hard way - like i told you in pm, hook up with my vw tech on the side - he'll help you out if he can.

rico

BubbaSTi
09-02-2005, 08:33 AM

Khyron

Hey, how did you know I was in prison?

But I love VWs but I never had any problems with mine. Although mine was an 86, so it doesn't really count much. There is a girl that comes through the drive thru at Tims and the only problem she has with her 2000 1.8t Jetta is that her windshield wiper motor went on her.

hockeybronx
09-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by BubbaSTi
But I love VWs but I never had any problems with mine. Although mine was an 86, so it doesn't really count much. There is a girl that comes through the drive thru at Tims and the only problem she has with her 2000 1.8t Jetta is that her windshield wiper motor went on her.

Yeah I agree, with my Jetta I haven't had a single mechanical problem or even close call since I bought the car. It seems like it's just these minor problems that you don't expect to break that cause so much grief.

hockeybronx
09-02-2005, 05:58 PM
ANOTHER HUGE UPDATE:clap:

After my dad absolutely lost it in a message to the owner of Southcentre Fine Cars, he phoned my dad back and left a message apologizing for the inconvenience and:

"we will be happy to refund all of your sons $190.00, and my service manager would like to replace the drivers side free of charge".

In return, my dad was so pleased with this result he has put a hold on an 2002 Cabrio for my mom... chances are they'll buy it on Wednesday.

So the trade-off was us having to scratch and fight to get a refund, they give us a refund and my dad buys another VW from them:dunno:

Well I guess after all the complaining I did, the end result makes me a satisfied customer.

Weapon_R
09-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Yeah I agree, with my Jetta I haven't had a single mechanical problem or even close call since I bought the car. It seems like it's just these minor problems that you don't expect to break that cause so much grief.

I think that's the biggest complaint with most VW owners - mechanically, I think the 2.0L engine is one of the best and most successful designs ever used by VW and has been in service for decades now. The little quirks are the ones that get VW owners, however. Glad that you got things worked out, but rewarding VW after your ordeal with another purchase? LOL, not sure I get your dad's rationale

hockeybronx
09-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
but rewarding VW after your ordeal with another purchase? LOL, not sure I get your dad's rationale

Not sure if I do either, but it's his $25,000 and not mine:D

Alpine Autowerks
09-02-2005, 08:47 PM

how about the Mitsubishi fighters & Nakajima (fuji heavy metal industries(aka Subaru) bombers used in Pearl Harbor ?

EK 2.0
09-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
how about the Mitsubishi fighters & Nakajima (fuji heavy metal industries(aka Subaru) bombers used in Pearl Harbor ?

Why you gotta talk all bad bout the Mitsu's...haha;)

BUT that does explain the whole DSM's being "bombs waiting to blow up owners wallets"

hockeybronx
09-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Khyron
09-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Haha hope he used the warranty letter!

Khyron

B Dubbin
09-04-2005, 11:13 PM
For me it was easy - I did my research on the vortex and basically the consensus was that replacing the window clips was covered by Volkswagen of Canada. The first step is phoning VW Canada and explaining the situation

As I understand it, Volkswagen of Canada is the one paying for these repairs and the dealerships charge it back to Volkswagen of Canada. Otherwise the dealership is eating the cost themselves (I think). Which looks even better for the dealership you're dealing with.

In any case, my car is a 99.5 as well and was out of warranty when I had both clips replaced and the MAF as well (I've got a VR6).