PDA

View Full Version : Breathers

HK2NR
02-04-2003, 09:18 PM
what exactly do those breather filters do?

Daddymax
02-04-2003, 10:38 PM
looks....

Ummm it's supposed to cool teh vavle cover more I think. But pretty much it's just looks.

HK2NR
02-04-2003, 10:58 PM
oh serious, hmm.. pointless to get then huh

THREE40SEVEN
02-04-2003, 11:46 PM
To vent crankcase pressure in HIGH hp applications. Just for show on most cars......

R-Audi
02-05-2003, 06:27 PM
But if your car has it originally hooked up to the intake, wouldn't it be harmful not to have one with an aftermarket intake?
Its not like there expensive ( $20 at most I beleive)

Glowrider
02-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Not really.

CanadaCivicSIR
02-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Mainly for looks or if you don't want the oil getting into your intake. But these never seems to happen, only usually on older cars.

R-Audi
02-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Wouldn't it be similiar to getting dirt or other crap in your intake, since it goes right inside the case?

THREE40SEVEN
02-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
But if your car has it originally hooked up to the intake, wouldn't it be harmful not to have one with an aftermarket intake?
Its not like there expensive ( $20 at most I beleive)

Wouldn't it be similiar to getting dirt or other crap in your intake, since it goes right inside the case?

Can you reword these man...:dunno:

R-Audi
02-05-2003, 08:10 PM
OK, re-worded:
My old Civic had a hose from the intake connected to the valve cover, and thats where the breather filter would alternatively be placed. Do you want dirt or anything else for that matter in your engine?

My Current A4 has the same set up. The original hose went into the airbox to keep out unwanted dirt etc. With the Aftermarket intake, I have a breather filter on that hose. If it didn't matter whether or not it was covered, why would it come covered from the factory.

Most people with Aftermarket intakes place the breather filters on so you can get rid of the excess hoses in your engine compartment. It does look pretty good, plus some cars actually need them. Typically, you either have the hose from the intake, or replace it with a breather filter. Either way, it "filters" unwanted material from getting into your engine.

HK2NR
02-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by CanadaCivicSIR
Mainly for looks or if you don't want the oil getting into your intake. But these never seems to happen, only usually on older cars.

my car's a 90 yr model, haha is that considered to be an older car? haha, it runs fine to me... cept for my bloody muffler!:thumbsdow

m@+CH
02-07-2003, 11:33 AM
OK, re-worded:
My old Civic had a hose from the intake connected to the valve cover, and thats where the breather filter would alternatively be placed. Do you want dirt or anything else for that matter in your engine?

My Current A4 has the same set up. The original hose went into the airbox to keep out unwanted dirt etc. With the Aftermarket intake, I have a breather filter on that hose. If it didn't matter whether or not it was covered, why would it come covered from the factory.

Most people with Aftermarket intakes place the breather filters on so you can get rid of the excess hoses in your engine compartment. It does look pretty good, plus some cars actually need them. Typically, you either have the hose from the intake, or replace it with a breather filter. Either way, it "filters" unwanted material from getting into your engine.

just a question about the breathers??
the hose to the valve cover..
if u were to put the breather right on to the valve cover hose, that would mean that its sucking air from under the hood
the hot air under the hood would be taken in...does that hurt performance???or does it affect it at all??:confused:

m@+CH
02-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by HK2NR

my car's a 90 yr model, haha is that considered to be an older car? haha, it runs fine to me... cept for my bloody muffler!:thumbsdow

i heard your muffler HK...
sounds bad ass haha ... tym 4 a new one....
during the break we'll get your muff fixed
haha i still gotta get my CAI

R-Audi
02-07-2003, 11:51 AM
I don't believe that the hose from the valve cover actually takes in that much air, since the main air intake is from the airbox. The little amount that is taken in, if hot, shouldn't really hurt performance at all. Saying that, mine is right beside my Cold air inlet, right beside my main filter:D

Sketch
02-17-2003, 11:01 PM
The filter is soft of a ghetto equivalent of an oil catch can. Basically that little fitting on your valve cover is a PCV (positive crankcase vent). Occasionally hot combustion gasses will seep paste the piston rings and into the crankcase, those gasses are expelled through the PCV. For emissions purposes those precat combustion gasses are vented straight into the intake manifold to be reburned. However this can cause problems as those gasses move a lot of oily vapours back into the manifold which gumms up the inner walls.

The breather valves just prevent shit from getting sucked into the crankcase should you decide to block off the PCV inlet on the manifold, as there is occasionally negative pressure acting on the PCV.

Pretty elementary shit, you guys should maybe buy a Haynes manual or something.

THREE40SEVEN
02-18-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Sketch
The filter is soft of a ghetto equivalent of an oil catch can. Basically that little fitting on your valve cover is a PCV (positive crankcase vent). Occasionally hot combustion gasses will seep paste the piston rings and into the crankcase, those gasses are expelled through the PCV. For emissions purposes those precat combustion gasses are vented straight into the intake manifold to be reburned. However this can cause problems as those gasses move a lot of oily vapours back into the manifold which gumms up the inner walls.

The breather valves just prevent shit from getting sucked into the crankcase should you decide to block off the PCV inlet on the manifold, as there is occasionally negative pressure acting on the PCV.

Pretty elementary shit, you guys should maybe buy a Haynes manual or something.
Professor,
Blowby (or seep paste) happens more often than occasionally.
Maybe try not be be so condescending next time;)

HK2NR
02-18-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

Professor,

:werd:

SRBURG13
02-18-2003, 02:31 AM
I had one of these on my car. Was an APC product, adn it was free, so I threw it on. (there was a nice place for it in the SR engine), and after about a week, the thing ripped in half. Peice of junk. Maybe some of the other brands are stronger.

HK2NR
02-18-2003, 02:39 AM
lol.. what did you mean rip in half? the gasses out of a crankcase shouldn't be that forceful haha

Superesc
02-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Here's an article I saved on these products from SUPERHONDA:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Debate: Should I get a K&N valve cover breather filter? less oil in intake?

the $12 culprit in question:

Now you've heard the reason to get these right. It lets your engine breathe better, less oil vapour from crankcase into the intake so your intake charge has less contamination and less risk for detonation.

let's clear up the facts shall we?

Get this pic from your Helms or Acura service manual in the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) section.This is where all the controversy happening:

Now this is the diagram to pay attention to from Honda in the manual. Note the direction of flow for the crankcase oil vapors and the flow from the intake:

On the right is a blown up oversized disproportionate version of your stock intake for clarity purposes. On the left is a cross sectional view of your engine.

Start on the left at the engine crankcase at the bottom. Note that your crankcase vapors including blow-by travels (black arrow) up the breather chamber to the PCV valve and then back to the cylinder head (intake side).

Now let's follow the different flow from the intake. Fresh air (white arrow) travels down the TB and after the TB can take 2 paths: 1) to your intake manifold and then cylinder head where it dilutes the crankcase vapours and 2) to the intake breather hose to the valve cover and then down directly to the crankcase to feed it fresh air.

So, this debunks a lot of misconceptions:

If you disconnect the valve cover breather and slap on a k&n filter what happens?

Your crankcase loses its source of fresh air to replenish it. The crankcase loses its vacuum and the ring seals don't seal properly. You get even more blow-by. A vicious cycle starts where less and less fresh air is being delivered to the crankcase and more blow-by occurs. Less compression means less power boys.

Secondly, the valve cover breather has nothing to do with the oil crankcase vapour route. It does not prevent the oil crankcase vapours from going into the cylinder head. What it does do is reduce the amount of fresh air going to the valve cover and then the crankcase such that more air is delivered to the cylider head to dilute the crankcase vapour and more fresh air intake charge.

To prevent the oil vapour from going into the cylinder head you need an oil catch can (Moroso, Cusco, Greddy, Summit) placed at the PCV valve and hose to filter out the oil.

We can discuss oil catch cans, oil intercoolers, and remore oil filters in another segment later.

So, would I put a k&n breather filter on and disconnect the valve cover breather hose from my intake ? No. It's like making your engine crankcase breathe by exhaling only. I can guarantee you will fail emissions with this puppy too.

ls/vtec-crx
02-18-2003, 12:19 PM
I would say for a turbo car that you shouldn't use a breather but a oil catch can. The breather is mostly for look, doesn't do anything but release pressure from your motor. But after time the breather collects so much oil that it drips from the breather and onto the motor (which happened in my case). That's why an oil catch can works better and looks more racey. (if thats what your tying to achieve).

CLiVE
02-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
I would say for a turbo car that you shouldn't use a breather but a oil catch can. The breather is mostly for look, doesn't do anything but release pressure from your motor. But after time the breather collects so much oil that it drips from the breather and onto the motor (which happened in my case). That's why an oil catch can works better and looks more racey. (if thats what your tying to achieve).

Just find a $3 fuel filter from cdn tire. Will do the same job...and won't drip, since it will act as a catch can.

If anyone really wants a breather I have one still in the package....been sitting in my basement for about a year.

HK2NR
02-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

Just find a $3 fuel filter from cdn tire. Will do the same job...and won't drip, since it will act as a catch can.

If anyone really wants a breather I have one still in the package....been sitting in my basement for about a year.

Hey man, i think Weapon R my need one

ACS-e36
02-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by m@+CH

i heard your muffler HK...
sounds bad ass haha ... tym 4 a new one....
during the break we'll get your muff fixed
haha i still gotta get my CAI

hahaha go 626... lol

Sketch
02-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

Professor,

I was puttin it in elementary terms. : P

R-Audi
02-19-2003, 12:09 AM
Either way, it would go through the intake or the breather. Where would that make a difference?

SRBURG13
02-19-2003, 01:48 AM
I have a catch can too. And the breather filter is at the end of a tube about 8inches long that comes off the catch can. Literally the thing ripped off. Just popped the hood one time, and the thing was just hanging there. So I tore it off before it fell off. Obviously it didn't nothing to performance.

HK2NR
02-19-2003, 01:59 AM
That is whacked man!!