Quantcast
Anyone Driving Down to See the Eclipse? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone Driving Down to See the Eclipse?

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Default Anyone Driving Down to See the Eclipse?

So you probably heard that the Northern US is right in the path of a Total Eclipse on Aug 21. Won't be a while until another one hits land so close to us and apparently a ton of people are heading down as hotels in the line of totality are filling up and charging crazy prices.

Anyone heading down? What's your plan?

Personally I was debating it but it seems like such a huge risk if the weather doesn't cooperate. You get an overcast day and you wasted a ton of time and money to hangout in Montana or Idaho. I can't get over that risk, but I can see why it might be worth it.

There's nothing like a total eclipse. Watch this video from a recent one in Indonesia for an idea. This isn't false color or anything like that, this is actually what you would see:

It's definitely a bucket list thing for me it's just I'd rather risk travelling to an area that I'd like to be in regardless of the eclipse so I don't waste a lot money if a stupid cloud decides to roll in and block the show. Calgary will experience a total eclipse on August 23 2044 for those of us that should still be alive. You'll also see a 90% partial eclipse (https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/canada/calgary) from town when this one rolls in but a partial eclipse is nothing like totality. Even though 90% sounds impressive and is pretty close to total, it's like comparing a 2 to 10. If you have glasses it's neat to see a crescent sun but chances are unless you hear about it or catch the shadow of the sun through a tree canopy, you wouldn't even notice. It'd be like a small cloud drifting in front of the sun on a normal day.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

where can i get the glasses in town? we're driving to vancouver island that day, so could be pretty cool to time it for the ferry (i know it's not totality)

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'm pretty sure the Science Center sells them. Probably a lot of places the week it happens.

My Ride
    Hybrid

London Drugs had them in their flyer last week
    https://www.londondrugs.com/search/?q=solar%20eclipse
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Yeah online too. Or a welders mask?

When I saw a partial similar to what we'll see here when I was as a kid I'm pretty sure we used camera film. Totally unsafe but hey, that's the 90's for yeah, I think I can still see alright? Also don't know if anyone still has camera film!

It was definitely worth looking up for if you have something to look through. You can do a pin hole thing and watch the shadow. I did that last time there was a partial here, not worth it.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 08-10-2017 at 01:25 PM.

'08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

You won't get totality in Montana and only southern Idaho will get it. And Calgary won't get 90%, it's more like 75-80%

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You won't get totality in Montana and only southern Idaho will get it. And Calgary won't get 90%, it's more like 75-80%
    Yeah just checked. UofC is saying 80%.

People we're suggesting staying in Butte that's why I thought that. Guess they plan on driving south.

Anywhere further south than Butte is like $250 a night to park your RV if you can even find a spot..

I hear Oregon is expecting a million people.
    Last edited by lasimmon; 08-10-2017 at 01:58 PM.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Is it smokey in Oregon?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

We booked into west yellowstone koa rv park and its $70 a night for our pull through site. Going to drive the 45 mins to be in the path of totality.

By the way they have the glasses at best buy at the moment next to the counter

If its cloudy though are we going to see anything? my wife says yes - i have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    Is it smokey in Oregon?
    Yah I was reading that it is - on and off. Combination of their own fires and BC fires.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    We booked into west yellowstone koa rv park and its $70 a night for our pull through site. Going to drive the 45 mins to be in the path of totality.

By the way they have the glasses at best buy at the moment next to the counter

If its cloudy though are we going to see anything? my wife says yes - i have my doubts.
    You need to see the sun.

"What if it’s cloudy that day?
    Eclipse chasers don't like to use the C-word, but they do have to consider the possibility, of course. If it's cloudy, you won't see anything - simple as that. So what veteran eclipse chasers do is to plan for a viewing location that historically has given signs of having as few clouds as possible on eclipse day. But we're still subject to the whims of weather, and so mobility on eclipse day is very important. It's not unusual for die-hard eclipse chasers to keep airplanes on standby, in case they have to make a last-minute run for it to escape clouds! With mobility as easy as it is in the USA, though, we should be able to look at forecasts a day or two before, and move accordingly to try and get into a path location that promises to be cloud-free. Remember that most eclipse chasers think nothing of going into the remotest parts of the world - a little diversion such as having to relocate to Wyoming from North Carolina is NOTHING compared to the wonder of seeing a total eclipse! Again, after you see it, you will understand why."

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/faq.htm

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Damn it, the more I read about it the more tempted I am to go. 10 hours and 46 minutes to Snake River Valley, which is one of the top recommended spots for viewing. Yellowstone near by too, but I'm assuming everything will be a gongshow that weekend.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I booked two rv sites actually one is 11 hours away the other is the one im staying in. I can give the other one away though probably can transfer/ or change name. At the time I didnt even have to reserve with my credit card.

Its at the willow bay cafe and RV - i think its about 30mins south of the total path.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Girlfriend and I decided we're going to plan a trip to Argentina and Chile for the 2019 eclipse instead. That way if the weather doesn't cooperate we still have an awesome trip out of it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    Girlfriend and I decided we're going to plan a trip to Argentina and Chile for the 2019 eclipse instead. That way if the weather doesn't cooperate we still have an awesome trip out of it.
    Hmm, that's actually pretty good idea, need to check that out.