Quantcast
P.Eng Application Question - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: P.Eng Application Question

Haha no no, I'm Canadian and no fob issues. My only thing is I've bounced around quite a few EPCMs as projects have gone up/down. And a total mix of mechanical, project and process work. Included my intern experience I will have 7 EPCMs and a fab shop to list out. So thats why I was concerned about the template and how things were changing.
    I know you can expense the fee at my new place but I'm also hesitant as I don't want them to see I'm a P.Eng and try to get me to stamp packages right away. Plus as I said I doubt they would even give a raise for it.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    try to get me to stamp packages right away.
    Don't worry, no one wants that....

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    Haha no no, I'm Canadian and no fob issues. My only thing is I've bounced around quite a few EPCMs as projects have gone up/down. And a total mix of mechanical, project and process work. Included my intern experience I will have 7 EPCMs and a fab shop to list out. So thats why I was concerned about the template and how things were changing.
    I know you can expense the fee at my new place but I'm also hesitant as I don't want them to see I'm a P.Eng and try to get me to stamp packages right away. Plus as I said I doubt they would even give a raise for it.
    Expense it, its the closest thing to a raise you will ever get for getting certified. You can only be an EIT for so long, you aren't hiding anything, and once you get it they are required to register you under their permit to practice anyways.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Boring. And a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Curious, what do you guys expect for the average increase in wage from EIT to P. Eng. I'm not an engineer, but should have my P. designation for another subject shortly, so curious what the equivalent would be?
    The only time i've seen getting a P.Eng equate to a raise was when I worked consulting. It was about $10k and it was because it enabled them to charge you out at a higher rate because you could stamp things.

Working for an operator now, and rarely having to stamp things, there's no raise associated with getting your P.Eng.

------

Also - dont forget to keep track of your continuing professional development on the Apega website. I forgot and ended up getting an email saying I had a month to send in more detailed records or they'd remove my name from the register and, in order to get back on, id need to fully reapply. They make it super easy online... so dont be lazy like me.
    Last edited by zaider; 09-02-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    The Ex: 2002 Subaru 2.5RSTi w/ JDM V7 STI Swap, JDM 6-Speed Trans, Dom 1.5XTR, ST Coilovers
    The Ride: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S, Tuneboy w/ CC
    Daily: Boring Volvo.

My application is currently going through internal review, everything went fairly smooth up to this point especially since my references were easy to track down. Anyone ever get to the internal review stage and not get approved? Just curious..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That would be extremely rare for anyone who was educated at an accredited Canadian school and who's experience was also in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    FB6

That's extremely rare as Extraslow said. I had to elaborate on my experience but it only took a few more bullet points and I was approved.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by andyg16 View Post
    My application is currently going through internal review, everything went fairly smooth up to this point especially since my references were easy to track down. Anyone ever get to the internal review stage and not get approved? Just curious..
    I don't understand the part where it starts off saying to make sure to have THREE references, but then there's only fields for one supervisor and one reference?

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    I don't understand the part where it starts off saying to make sure to have THREE references, but then there's only fields for one supervisor and one reference?
    I think that just means a minimum of 3 for your total experience. For example, you can't have just one person be a reference for all four years of your experience.

I think that just means a minimum of 3 for your total experience. For example, you can't have just one person be a reference for all four years of your experience.
    Yah this. I only had 2 jobs so I have 1 person from 1 job and 2 from the other.

My Ride
    Silverado

you need to fill out separate experience forms for each reference. They can be identical except reference contact

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    you need to fill out separate experience forms for each reference. They can be identical except reference contact
    Did not do this. Submitted with just the supervisor and one ref for the same job I've had this whole time. Though I did tell a 3rd ref to be prepared to be contacted, I guess it can't really happen yet because APEGA doesn't have contact info for them .

Did not do this. Submitted with just the supervisor and one ref for the same job I've had this whole time. Though I did tell a 3rd ref to be prepared to be contacted, I guess it can't really happen yet because APEGA doesn't have contact info for them .
    Yah I did that initally and wrote the 3rd reference in the description.. they bounced it back saying i just had to copy over everything the same for a 3rd thing and change the reference.

My Ride
    08 GSR

For those who have applied for their P.Eng. recently, did they put in a time frame for the application process? I have had guys tell me that when they hit "submit" they have like 3 or 4 months (can't remember the exact time frame) for the process to go through. If there's no activity on it (meaning if one of your references forgets to fill out the questionnaire or something) beyond that time frame, you gotta resubmit and potentially pay again. Can anyone actually confirm if this is actually true? I don't remember this being a thing 6 years ago when I got my P.Eng.

My Ride
    Silverado

Anyone go to the professional member induction ceremony?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by V6-BoI View Post
    For those who have applied for their P.Eng. recently, did they put in a time frame for the application process? I have had guys tell me that when they hit "submit" they have like 3 or 4 months (can't remember the exact time frame) for the process to go through. If there's no activity on it (meaning if one of your references forgets to fill out the questionnaire or something) beyond that time frame, you gotta resubmit and potentially pay again. Can anyone actually confirm if this is actually true? I don't remember this being a thing 6 years ago when I got my P.Eng.
    I got mine a year and a half ago, total process took ~7-8 months IIRC (maybe shorter? I may have even posted it in here somewhere), but no I don't think that's a thing. Having said that, if a person can't get a reply from a reference in 4 months, there's probably a good reason for it. People should be catching up with their references beforehand to let them know their help is needed, then following up after the forms are sent.

Just checked my application status, it's showing internal review complete and "November 2017" in the comments. Then below it Case to Board in Progress again with "November 2017" in the comments. Does anyone know what the significance of the date is? Will it be going to the board in November 2017?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Anyone go to the professional member induction ceremony?
    I went. Found it meaningful.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Just checked my application status, it's showing internal review complete and "November 2017" in the comments. Then below it Case to Board in Progress again with "November 2017" in the comments. Does anyone know what the significance of the date is? Will it be going to the board in November 2017?
    Yes, it will be before the board in November AFAIK
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Thanks, sounds like I will attend.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Interesting, I was totally planning on skipping it. Might have to reconsider.
    Cos...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast