Quantcast
Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Well a power spike killed my iMac this morning ( and subsequently shut down my controller ) and now my network is a bit goofy ( random disconnects and cannot connect to internet type stuff periodically ).

Seems the network really likes to have the controller online despite what they say about the controller not "needing" to be there.

Should have got a CK...

Learn from my mistake...

On an entirely different topic, anyone on here ever actually take advantage of the insurance that comes with a surge protector before?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    Those US-8 switches look pretty cool!
    Yeah, I will pick up a couple and get rid of my trendnet/tplink ones I have currently. Not requiring the dumb power bricks is great and also being 8 port. Looks like my US-8-60W isn't coming until next week though so it will have to be next weekend I set it up. Newegg has good prices but shipping is so slow from Ontario.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Well a power spike killed my iMac this morning ( and subsequently shut down my controller ) and now my network is a bit goofy ( random disconnects and cannot connect to internet type stuff periodically ).

Seems the network really likes to have the controller online despite what they say about the controller not "needing" to be there.

Should have got a CK...

Learn from my mistake...

On an entirely different topic, anyone on here ever actually take advantage of the insurance that comes with a surge protector before?
    Well that sucks but now you can get the CK
    I have been running ups on my computers for a while now since sage hill power was (Sometimes still) flaky at times. I believe though from what I have heard that they are pretty reasonable with the warranty but have never tried it myself.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I got a bunch of free sonicwall stuff so that's going to be replacing my equipment when I get around to it, wireless isn't the best but for home use should be no issue

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Well that sucks but now you can get the CK
    I have been running ups on my computers for a while now since sage hill power was (Sometimes still) flaky at times. I believe though from what I have heard that they are pretty reasonable with the warranty but have never tried it myself.
    Yea I have no idea how an insurance replacement on a 6 year old computer will work. Fuck.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

Set mine up today. Was expecting it to take hours, but got it all set up in about 45 mins. Should've set it up in the proper order as my cloud key couldn't see my AP until I reset and adopted it. Just used my old SSID and password for now so everything on wifi just switched over without doing anything. I do like the one network instead of having 2.4 and 5ghz as well. Seems like there is a lot of logging and features to explore within the controller. My only issue was my one nas was using a static ip that was 192.168.1.8 which is the ip of the cloud key, so the nas would boot the cloudkey offline and it took my a bit to figure out. Overall I am very impressed and looking forward to adding some more switches and aps once I get my wiring done.

edit: seem to be having a few issues with devices on wifi, maybe the auto channel is not doing a great job? Will have to change it as it is too congested.
    Last edited by schocker; 09-16-2017 at 05:15 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I never use 5 and 2.4 on the same ssid.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I never use 5 and 2.4 on the same ssid.
    What is the reason for that, congestion?

I did notice that auto channel is garbage on 2.4 as it only chooses a channel if the AP is rest. Since I only have one AP, it ends up congested after a while which causes some issues with the nest outdoor cam...which.....
    In Europe and Canada, Nest Cam Outdoor is regulated as an outdoor Wi-Fi product, which means it can’t use some of the 5GHz bands. So we designed it to only use the 2.4GHz band.
    so I can't use it on uncongested 5ghz.

I think when I am doing my ethernet wiring though I might install a couple of the unifi in-wall pros as they are more attractive than the ap ac pros.

My Ride
    Grimace

Anyone have any hot tips on dealing with 2.4ghz devices? Nest outdoor cam is 2.4 only, no 5 ghz, so it is decently close to the AP (2nd floor ap above and a bit back from nest outdoor cam mounted at garage door). Having issues with it disconnecting seemingly based on interference on the channel since the auto channel sucks. I turned on balanced band steering for now to try and push devices to 5 ghz but I might have to make 2 separate ssids like rage said. Had been looking at maybe putting one of the mesh devices in the garage and it would help cover more of the house for now: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX67908

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

If anyone has two 802.3at compliant power supplies, I am interested in them.

My Ride
    Grimace

Has anyone installed the UAP-AC-IW-PRO? Can't seem to really find it anywhere, only the non-pro version? Have been mainly looking at newegg to avoid any issues with sellers.

I did solve my issues though, apparently if you put the AP ontop of a subwoofer, next to a UPS and desktop pc above a nas box/router/modem/switch, it gives you some signal issues. Shoved it on the floor under my desk for now and all my issues went away

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Has anyone installed the UAP-AC-IW-PRO? Can't seem to really find it anywhere, only the non-pro version? Have been mainly looking at newegg to avoid any issues with sellers.
    CDW has it...I don't know if they sell to the public though. Looking at it through my company account...I bought my Ubiquiti gear from them, actually.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I did solve my issues though, apparently if you put the AP ontop of a subwoofer, next to a UPS and desktop pc above a nas box/router/modem/switch, it gives you some signal issues. Shoved it on the floor under my desk for now and all my issues went away
    I have one, maybe two, AC IW units that I am looking to sell if you are interested. Not the pro, but they are very new.

just a heads up, IT shop in banff has like 35 ubiquity uap-ac-pro access points for sale $150 obo, i got mine from them for $120 each.
    came with power injector, mounting brackets amd screws.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1282293854

Does anyone have an NVR, POE camera setup they're using and can recommend? I switched my WiFi to Open Mesh a few months ago and love it. Now I'm looking for something of similar quality to replace the shitty trendnet webcam I have in the garage.

You guys lost me pages back in the tech talk.

Any thoughts on Google Wifi?

I just want simple plug and play.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post

Google Wifi works well for what you need. Not going to be mega speeds for say 4K streaming, but it'll do the job for everything else.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Google Wifi works well for what you need. Not going to be mega speeds for say 4K streaming, but it'll do the job for everything else.
    IS there anything else out of the box plug n play that would meet that threshold?

Eero works well too.

IS there anything else out of the box plug n play that would meet that threshold?

If your house is under 3000 sq ft or so just buy a good router like the R7000. Cheap, plug & play (2-3 minute set up), and an easily does 180Mbps (the Shaw deal most people have) on all 3 levels of the house. Tested it in multiple houses now with identical results.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just my own personal rant. Picked up a cloud key since my desktop shit the bed again and I have been running my controller on an old laptop.

Unifi’s controller migration tool. Fake news.

Wiped everything out, and because my pie switch reset all my AP’s went dark which meant a hardwire into my switch to reset every setting from memory. Holy fuck there went my night.

Moving the configuration from my iMac to a laptop was fine but moving to cloud key did not go well for anyone considering it.

fact.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast