Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 34 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 34 of 192 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    Exploded.

The notch looks so weird because it kills the clean line IMO. How will face recognition be able to tell a real face vs. a photo?

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The notch looks so weird because it kills the clean line IMO. How will face recognition be able to tell a real face vs. a photo?
    tons of test and online reads will tell you. photos have tricked similar systems before. now they worry about 3d printing of faces. nothing is foolproof.

Yeah the notch looks terrible IMO. The Essential phone has it too and it just looks bad. Even worse is Apple isn't letting developers use trickery to reduce the eye-sore factor, but of course having people more easily recognize the iPhone X trumps usability. You can't even look at a photo without it looking like someone took a bite out of it.

The Face ID won't be easy to fool, it looks at depth as well. It projects thousands of dots onto your face and analyzes the distortion of the grid (kind of like CGI enhancements). You might be able to fool it with a 3D printer, but that is far beyond the effort any normal person would go to. The problem is that it seems to work from a distance, and just having to point the phone at someone to get it to unlock is a pretty major security concern. Getting someone to look in your direction is far easier than forcing their finger onto the home button or forcing them to tell you the passcode. The counter argument of course is you don't have to use biometrics at all, but that is very inconvenient. For the average user though it probably won't matter either way.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How will face recognition be able to tell a real face vs. a photo?
    Photos only work on Samsung's ridiculously stupid implementation of facial recognition. Other systems that are single camera, at least they look for motion which then can be tricked by a video. Both of which easy to steal on Facebook.

The first real good consumer grade facial recognition was the Surface Pro Windows Hello setup. AFAIK it hasn't been hacked yet, and even identical twins can't unlock the device. That's a simple 2 camera (normal + IR) setup to map things in 3D. The iPhone X setup is way beyond that in terms of 3D detail. The closest hack to Windows Hello is the theory that enough FB photos and video can 3D print your head to unlock. That's in theory, it has never been accomplished on the Surface Pro yet.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yeah the notch looks terrible IMO. The Essential phone has it too and it just looks bad. Even worse is Apple isn't letting developers use trickery to reduce the eye-sore factor, but of course having people more easily recognize the iPhone X trumps usability. You can't even look at a photo without it looking like someone took a bite out of it.

The Face ID won't be easy to fool, it looks at depth as well. It projects thousands of dots onto your face and analyzes the distortion of the grid (kind of like CGI enhancements). You might be able to fool it with a 3D printer, but that is far beyond the effort any normal person would go to. The problem is that it seems to work from a distance, and just having to point the phone at someone to get it to unlock is a pretty major security concern. Getting someone to look in your direction is far easier than forcing their finger onto the home button or forcing them to tell you the passcode. The counter argument of course is you don't have to use biometrics at all, but that is very inconvenient. For the average user though it probably won't matter either way.
    I think you would get used to the notch fairly quickly regardless of its relative big size. I don't even notice it on my Essential phone anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I think you would get used to the notch fairly quickly regardless of its relative big size. I don't even notice it on my Essential phone anymore.
    I think you would be right if it didn't take a chunk out of things you are trying to view - for me that would be impossible to get used to, especially since we've all spent our entire lives looking at uniform screens. If they allowed developers to cut off that area of the screen or mitigate it with a black bar, I agree it would be much less noticeable. The iPhone's cut-out is way worse than the Essential phone too, so maybe that one is easier to get used to and developers probably have a lot more leeway to skirt it. Or if they just kept that space reserved for notifications or something, it wouldn't be as bad.

iOS 11 is out.

If they allowed developers to cut off that area of the screen or mitigate it with a black bar, I agree it would be much less noticeable.
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw the picture that Flipstah posted. It's seems like a no brainer to just black out that small horizontal area, but perhaps we're missing something.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Clever. Unfortunately, won't be allowed by Apple. They are doing everything possible from a UI guidelines perspective to force acceptance of the notch.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

Clever. Unfortunately, won't be allowed by Apple. They are doing everything possible from a UI guidelines perspective to force acceptance of the notch.
    Shit, even MS retracted with the "notches" of W8.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    iPhone 8/8+ is the new 5c. Don't be caught with the poor people model.
    haha okay sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw the picture that Flipstah posted. It's seems like a no brainer to just black out that small horizontal area, but perhaps we're missing something.
    Yeah like rage said, probably won't be allowed. And even if it were allowed, you would be intentionally removing screen real estate from your ~$1500 phone just so it didn't look weird haha. Crazy.

In other news I am looking forward to trying out iOS 11's file system on the 10.5. I'm going to buy one of these and see what I can do:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...fb7ec794307778

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    haha okay sounds good!
    So much cheen laaa

My Ride
    This and that.

Downloading iOS 11 on my 7 Plus right now. Any special features I need to look out for after it's done?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Downloading iOS 11 on my 7 Plus right now. Any special features I need to look out for after it's done?
    Download ikea place. Try a bunch of shit in the house. Then buy shit from ikea haha. There’s a plan builder app that uses AR to map your entire house down to every corner and shit. Then you can modify the house and see how it looks in 3D.

Really, the only 2 useful ARkit app so far. Some of those games are just forcing AR for the sake of it.

There’s a plan builder app that uses AR to map your entire house down to every corner and shit. Then you can modify the house and see how it looks in 3D.
    That's cool- definitely going to check it out

iOS 11 is pretty good, but I have found some bugs. If you try to swipe-close two apps vertically from the task manager, it glitches out and one stays stuck at the top of the screen, then it re-opens itself later. Also, the file manager cannot access certain files in Google Drive which is pretty useless. Some apps don't play nicely with the floating app or split screen, but that is probably the developer's fault not Apple. I picked up the USB 3.0 camera connection kit and will try get some RAW files on it tonight. Anyone know how I can easily get the files off of it if I use the iPad for backup purposes? That's the part I am not sure of yet, assuming they go on smoothly into file manager.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Some apps don't play nicely with the floating app or split screen, but that is probably the developer's fault not Apple.
    I picked up an iPad Pro 10.5 over the weekend, and my biggest gripe are apps that won't let you split the keyboard. Full sized keyboard covering more than 50% of the 10.5 inch screen is ridiculous. Google Hangouts being the main culprit for me right now as I use that to chat with Android peons.

I picked up an iPad Pro 10.5 over the weekend, and my biggest gripe are apps that won't let you split the keyboard. Full sized keyboard covering more than 50% of the 10.5 inch screen is ridiculous. Google Hangouts being the main culprit for me right now as I use that to chat with Android peons.
    I've never really noticed that with the keyboard, I usually don't do much typing but when I do, I'm holding it with one hand and pecking the keys like a senior citizen with the other I do like the drag down feature on the new keyboard for punctuation.

Is your screen yellow/warm and/or darker at the bottom? A lot of people are having issues with that on the 10.5 and I went through 3 of them to get a half decent screen. It might be fixed now though if you got a later build, and some people don't seem to notice. It's most noticeable with white or off-white backgrounds like the Gmail Inbox.

Overall I am very happy with it, it's very fast and there is nobody else making premium tablets right now.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I bought a 12.9 Pro over the weekend, man this thing is fucking huge. I downloaded Duet Display which is an awesome way to turn your pro into a Wacom tablet.

Page 34 of 192 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 44 ... LastLast