Quantcast
Review: plowshare - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: plowshare

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty big generalization you are making! All of our kids are very well behaved and they just sit there quietly drawing on paper, If any food is spilt onto the ground or whatever we make it a point to clean that shit up, I hate the whole things with kids being loud and obnoxious or worse running around in the restaurant (its not a fucking playground), if one of my kids is crying and making a scene or whatever I always take her outside to calm down.
    Sorry for offending you by generalizing, but we're on the same page that there are just some people that are awful at parenting.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Sorry for offending you by generalizing, but we're on the same page that there are just some people that are awful at parenting.
    Oh I don't doubt it - we once met our birth and babies friends at Mercato west on a Sunday night (market side) and 3 of the kids got up in the middle of the dinner and started running around and chasing each other - I looked at my daughter who was about 3 at the time and said "don't you dare move from that chair!" and the parents think its perfectly acceptable.

By the way at plowshare my wife ordered some meal with 2 pancakes. One of the pancakes was burnt on both sides the other was burnt on one side and the cook/chef person had just placed this one on top of the others to cover it up.

My Ride
    V8s

Knowing how much servers make (and how little they pay in taxes), I have zero hard feelings about shitty tips for shitty service. A ridiculously high percentage of servers I've actually gotten to know are some of the most entitled people when it comes to wages.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Later this year when they get $15 an hour - Are we still expected to tip everyone?

plowshare should be a movie title.

If the service is terrible and the overall experience was no better, just refuse to pay the auto grat haha. Tips are earned and should in no way be guaranteed because that basically destroys the entire principle behind it. I do not mind tipping well for great service, but find it very difficult to reward substandard serving.

Later this year when they get $15 an hour - Are we still expected to tip everyone?
    Pretty sure it's $13.60 right now, an extra $1.40 shouldn't change much. There is no reason to be tipping 15-20% with those base wages unless the service is over the top good, IMHO. 99% of the time when I visit a restaurant, the server fills our waters 1-2 times, checks once if the food is OK, and someone else clears plates and someone else brings the food to the table. The only other thing they do is bring the bill. Also the fact that the expected % tips are directly proportionate to food cost is somewhat annoying, so if you go somewhere pricey and get a bottle of wine (which in itself usually adds $15-20 to the tip for them to bring it to your table), you might pay another $30-40++ in tip for the identical service as at a cheaper place for a dinner for 2. In that case you aren't actually paying for service anymore, you are just expected to tip higher because the menu prices are higher.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-12-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    plowshare should be a movie title.
    clicked the thread expecting it to be about either:
    a) what you said
    b) a new uber-type app for hiring snow plows / people to shovel your walk

was neither

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    clicked the thread expecting it to be about either:
    a) what you said
    b) a new uber-type app for hiring snow plows / people to shovel your walk

was neither
    100% I thought it was going to be option b) when I came in here for the first time.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Going against the grain, but the restaurant fucked up and should have handled it better.

I used to serve tables of 12+ without issues on the regular. A screw up was an exception, not the rule. It sounds like the kitchen crashed and you got the ass end of that. Sorry about your experience.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Going against the grain, but the restaurant fucked up and should have handled it better.

I used to serve tables of 12+ without issues on the regular. A screw up was an exception, not the rule. It sounds like the kitchen crashed and you got the ass end of that. Sorry about your experience.
    Oh, I agree the restaurant fucked up. However the waitress didn't, the cooks did (and even hid the burnt pancakes from view so she couldn't see it). Denying the waitress who did her job tips is punishing the wrong person. I also don't agree with the 18% mandatory tip, it should be lower now (but still mandatory) You also had more pull in your workplace Cam to give bigger discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Oh, I agree the restaurant fucked up. However the waitress didn't, the cooks did (and even hid the burnt pancakes from view so she couldn't see it). Denying the waitress who did her job tips is punishing the wrong person. I also don't agree with the 18% mandatory tip, it should be lower now (but still mandatory) You also had more pull in your workplace Cam to give bigger discounts.
    As a customer, what does one do when the food is bad though? Still tip 18-20% just because the server was polite throughout the ordeal? The server works there knowing full well what can happen with tips, and he/she is making $13.60/hr base with a possibility for tips for exceptional service. If the kitchen is costing the server his/her tips more than once in a while, why are they still working there? I don't see how the waitress is getting punished when she is making a solid base wage and occasionally loses a few dollars to tip-outs, which any server would know is a risk of the job. Most jobs I can think of, hourly or salaried, involve occasional unpaid work or unpaid overtime and you usually know that going in.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

This is really coming back to how tips are stupid.

The waitress doing a good job is part of the price of the food.

If the restaurant wants to incentize it’s employees it can pay them a bonus based on good performance.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

15% would still be the norm. I don't expect that will go down soon.

Chinese restaurants that I frequent has already all adjusted their prices accordingly.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-12-2018 at 04:48 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

My tipping is down to 10% if a good job. Once we hit $15/hour, no tip unless service is exceptional.

People make good money for being able to bring dishes out. Everytime I go out I am reminded how stupid tipping is, because my service feels equivalent to ordering food at a fucking mcdonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This is really coming back to how tips are stupid.
    Agreed.

Now we're starting to see debit tip prompts at any type of store, and even fast food drive thrus. The fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    Agreed.

Now we're starting to see debit tip prompts at any type of store, and even fast food drive thrus. The fuck?
    The worst is the iPad Pay places, where they flip around the iPad and the entire lineup can see what you're doing, and you have to hit "Tip" or "No Tip". It's deliberately set up for maximum pressure to tip and it's BS. Another ridiculous place that asks for tips are those Froyo places where you literally do all the work yourself

Even now ($13.60/hr), tips should be 0-10%, maybe more for a ridiculously good job. At $15/hr I can't see how anyone can expect a 15-20% tip for simply doing their job.

Servers in Calgary are lazy. They just expect the 20% and think something's wrong if they don't get it. I've got better service in a TGIF In the USA than I have in pretty much every high end restaurant I've been to in Calgary - they actually work for their tips there and it shows.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-13-2018 at 09:30 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The worst is the iPad Pay places, where they flip around the iPad and the entire lineup can see what you're doing, and you have to hit "Tip" or "No Tip". It's deliberately set up for maximum pressure to tip and it's BS. Another ridiculous place that asks for tips are those Froyo places where you literally do all the work yourself

Even now ($13.60/hr), tips should be 0-10%, maybe more for a ridiculously good job. At $15/hr I can't see how anyone can expect a 15-20% tip for simply doing their job.

Servers in Calgary are lazy. They just expect the 20% and think something's wrong if they don't get it. I've got better service in a TGIF In the USA than I have in pretty much every high end restaurant I've been to in Calgary - they actually work for their tips there and it shows.
    You get better service at In&Out than you do in restaurants in Calgary.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    You get better service at In&Out than you do in restaurants in Calgary.
    I don't doubt it. I often just don't understand what I am paying for. The typical experience is this, even at a high end place:

1) Server greets, fills waters, and takes premium drink orders.
    2) Server returns to take menu orders, and informs of any specials
    3) Someone else brings your food
    4) Server asks while passing en route to other tables if the food is good. Offers premium drink refills.
    5) Someone else refills waters and clears plates
    6) Wait around until you can ask for the bill, as you are no longer a priority since you are done ordering

Now say that was a $200+ dinner, what did I just pay the expected $40+ tip for? Total time spent working on the table/order was probably under 2 minutes. And if the table orders a bottle of wine, it increases the expected tip by ~$20 for them to pop the cork out and put it on the table.

Or at two different restaurants, maybe for one the bill is $60, the other is $300. Server does the exact same amount of work, yet the expected tip jumps from $12 to $60 for no other reason than the menu prices are higher, and the bottle of wine you got was a 4X markup instead of a 3X markup. I know it's just how it's always kind of worked, but I have always thought tipping a worker making a fair wage so significantly for doing almost nothing is silly. Other countries seem to agree - it's a North American thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The worst is the iPad Pay places, where they flip around the iPad and the entire lineup can see what you're doing, and you have to hit "Tip" or "No Tip". It's deliberately set up for maximum pressure to tip and it's BS.
    It gets easier and easier each time you hit 'No Tip'.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast