Quantcast
Nest Thread - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Nest Thread

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Lol, I’m pretty done with nest’s thermostat tbh. Probably going to swap to an ecobee4.

I do like the cameras though, and might still pick up a Hello. I was going to get a ring elite but I don’t want two ecosystems.

Google really has shit the bed with nest. It’s kinsof hilarious really.

If the sensors work with Gen 2 then it’s likely cheaper than an eco bee replacement so I will probably go the route if possible. But no way I’m going to buy a super old gen3 right now.

I might look into recording subscription again if I get a Hello.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-13-2018 at 02:50 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

Well google also did recently announce that nest was being folded into the google hardware team so things should come out faster now unlike under Fadell.
    Subscription gives you face detection/memory and all that so I think it is worth having, especially for $5/mth. I don't subscribe on my kitchen cam anymore, just my driveway one so I will bundle both for all the comings and goings infront of my house.

How do these doorbells actually work? I mean, can't someone just take it off your house?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

$299 US or CAD for that hello ? and it comes with a free google home mini. How would we know if our current door bell is compatible though? - 2006 built house chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    How do these doorbells actually work? I mean, can't someone just take it off your house?

Sure I mean they could rip it off your house but they could also do that with your nest home outdoor camera above the front door too, however their face would probably be seen before and maybe they would think twice about that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I assume check the doorbell voltages with a multi meter?

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I mean your average joe isnt going to do that is he.

Regarding the temp sensors - thats all well and good but without automated vent covers that open and close to respond to where the heat or cold is required they are pretty useless.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Those exist. From what I understand they are just crap.

End of the day none of this really replaces a more advanced hvac system. But they are cheap and easy to retrofit.

fact.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I mean your average joe isnt going to do that is he.

Regarding the temp sensors - thats all well and good but without automated vent covers that open and close to respond to where the heat or cold is required they are pretty useless.
    The idea is that the thermostat would try to match your requested temp in the room you're in, not all the rooms at the same time. It would be handy in some cases, such as my own, as my master bedroom is the first one to heat up when it kicks on in the morning, so while the rest of the house is trying to warm up 2*, the master warms up by ~6*.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    The idea is that the thermostat would try to match your requested temp in the room you're in, not all the rooms at the same time. It would be handy in some cases, such as my own, as my master bedroom is the first one to heat up when it kicks on in the morning, so while the rest of the house is trying to warm up 2*, the master warms up by ~6*.
    How does it direct the heat there though? Ie in my house if that was the case it would pump out heat so the house is 6 degrees warmer everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by redevil View Post
    anyone try this yet for a temp sensor in another room? Works with Nest :
    This isn't the first works for nest 3rd party sensor. The problem is Nest doesn't really do anything with that data properly.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    How does it direct the heat there though? Ie in my house if that was the case it would pump out heat so the house is 6 degrees warmer everywhere.
    By default, that's what it does. You can integrate Keen smart vents to open/close for each particular room as well to regulate temperature in each room, but that gets pretty expensive.

I regulated my fan through the day to minimize the temperature difference in each room, so targeting based on activity is a lot quicker when it's within 1.5C everywhere.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

This is the guide to see if your doorbell will work
    https://nest.com/ca/support/article/...k-in-your-home
    Price is $229 USD/$299 CDN

I am going to have my hello recording 24/7, so you would have to be pretty sneaky to steal that, and if you have made it past the driveway camera already like solid snake, there isn't much I can do.

My Ride
    Grimace

Nest x Yale lock is now available, $320 but at bestbuy it is $360 so I bought one from nest
    https://nest.com/ca/lock/nest-yale-l...lock/overview/
    Temperature Sensor is up for pre-order, ships in April. $49 for 1 or $125 for 3
    https://nest.com/ca/thermostats/nest...nsor/overview/
    Looks like you can change it up a bit and do certain times of the day use certain sensors. I don't think the times can be adjusted though.

Morning: 7am to 11am
    Midday: 11am to 4pm
    Evening: 4pm to 9pm
    Night: 9pm to 7am
    Also looks like the doorbell cam gets a replacement if stolen like the ring with a police report
    https://nest.com/support/article/Wha...bell-is-stolen
    Last edited by schocker; 03-15-2018 at 10:28 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Well the Temperature sensor sucks. Once you add it to the Nest (newest versions only), you have to manually set ideal temperature for each room, priority, and schedule priorities. There is no motion sensor to detect occupancy and prioritize/average based on that, which is what Ecobee does.

So stupid.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Well the Temperature sensor sucks. Once you add it to the Nest (newest versions only), you have to manually set ideal temperature for each room, priority, and schedule priorities. There is no motion sensor to detect occupancy and prioritize/average based on that, which is what Ecobee does.

So stupid.
    Yeah, I didn't fully understand not having occupancy. Also doesn't detect humidity. Not sure if the ecobee does that. I would only set mine for upstairs at night, downstairs during the day.

Found the reason for it not working with Gen 1 & 2 is due to it using bluetooth le for power efficiency, as I am guessing weave would require more power.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ecobee remote sensors does not detect humidity. Just Temperature and Occupancy.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

The thing to keep in mind is that the ecobee just aggregates the temp across the temperatures that are active for the specific program then based on occupancy. So, really the only thing I change is that my nighttime ignores the sensors except those upstairs. You could have the daytime program ignore the upstairs sensor. Being that your second floor takes the most amount of effort to heat and cool then you would just focus or ignore it to save costs on heating/cooling it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    The thing to keep in mind is that the ecobee just aggregates the temp across the temperatures that are active for the specific program then based on occupancy. So, really the only thing I change is that my nighttime ignores the sensors except those upstairs. You could have the daytime program ignore the upstairs sensor. Being that your second floor takes the most amount of effort to heat and cool then you would just focus or ignore it to save costs on heating/cooling it.
    Yea, and that's all Nest needed to make this truly "smart" and adjust based on actual usage.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Yeah, they could have basically copied that approach. Adding the humidity sensor on top would have been an added bonus. I don't see any reason to switch from ecobee, other than to maintain a single product ecosystem. Really though, I would end up with a Lorex camera system, ecobee thermostat and ring/nest doorbell. I guess home assistants are supposed to be the bring together of all that, but it doesn't work that way yet.

Are there any kits to make the indoor Nest cameras see through glass more easily? From what I know about IR, chances are these things glare like crazy through a window especially at night.

I need to buy a nest cam, and the outdoor one would be ideal, but having to run a power cord down to ground level kind of ruins it. Had a look at the Arlo wireless cameras but they don't record continuously and battery life in our winters would be garbage.

Maybe the Nest doorbell would be the best bet for frontyard monitoring?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-15-2018 at 03:08 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Are there any kits to make the indoor Nest cameras see through glass more easily? From what I know about IR, chances are these things glare like crazy through a window especially at night.

I need to buy a nest cam, and the outdoor one would be ideal, but having to run a power cord down to ground level kind of ruins it. Had a look at the Arlo wireless cameras but they don't record continuously and battery life in our winters would be garbage.

Maybe the Nest doorbell would be the best bet for frontyard monitoring?
    Logitech Circle has a window mode where it doesn't fire the IR as bright. Nothing for Nest AFAIK.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast