Quantcast
Vandal or Neighbor Feud? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vandal or Neighbor Feud?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hard to confront a neighbor randomly without proof or even a reliable suspicion about their apparent wrongdoing.

As someone with a new neighbor I can say it can be frustrating when changes that impact my enjoyment of my property (in my case, an air conditioner) are installed without any kind of consultation, but I can't say that I feel it was owed to me in the first place. Life I guess.
    Wait.....consult you before installing air conditioning. Fat f'ng chance of that happening!

Hey...neighbour, just want to let you know that you need to consult me before having kids. Those things are noisy. The cry, laugh and play outside which my impact the enjoyment of me drinking beer on my deck.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

I'd get some cameras regardless, especially if you still don't know for sure what happened. Something like this is dirt cheap and effective if it doesn't have to be outside:

https://www.amazon.ca/WyzeCam-Wirele...words=wyze+cam

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    Wait.....consult you before installing air conditioning. Fat f'ng chance of that happening!

Hey...neighbour, just want to let you know that you need to consult me before having kids. Those things are noisy. The cry, laugh and play outside which my impact the enjoyment of me drinking beer on my deck.
    I agree - what are you going to do, swelter all summer if your neighbor says no? There are so many way louder and more annoying things (kids, dogs, lawn work, motorcycles, etc.) that people are free to have/do without consulting neighbors. If you never want to be disturbed by neighborly noise, move out of the city or pony up for a massive lot.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    Am I misunderstanding, you think your neighbour should have checked with you before getting AC at his house?

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    If my neighbor complained that I installed AC without consulting them, I would have to try not to laugh in their face.
    What can I say, it's about nine feet away from my master bedroom window in a side yard where the sound bounces off of both houses. It's loud. I accept that it's fully within their rights and permissible by bylaw to install it where they did. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it, and I'd certainly have preferred it in their other side yard.

We used to hear my previous neighbour banging out his girlfriend, so pick your poison I guess. City living...

Edit: now that I've rustled beyond.ca's collective jimmies, I'm accepting proposals on what to do next. Build a fence? Smash out my neighbour's security lamp bulbs? Move? Call 311?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I already have air anyway. My neighbour doesn't complain about the noise even though it is right by her bedroom window. She complains because she doesn't have one.

Name:  B3ytZ0z.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  170.4 KB
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Canyonero

I already have air anyway. My neighbour doesn't complain about the noise even though it is right by her bedroom window. She complains because she doesn't have one.
    I am not too proud to admit that there is a component of jealousy that contributes to my annoyance Particularly with tomorrow's forecast high being 37˚C

In truth if I was to install AC I'd definitely be putting it in the same side yard as my next door neighbours, and it's something we've been considering ahead of a basement finishing project.

If you can't beat em, join em, right?

edit: apologies to R-Audi for my egregious thread jacking.
    Last edited by prae; 08-09-2018 at 11:16 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I tend to consult with neighbours during random conversations like 'hey, btw ill be installing a new camera here" in passing, but not seeking approval.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Totally. I did so with my neighbours before I built a shed, and my previous neighbours used to do so before pruning trees, etc.

Not a question of permission but a question of courtesy.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    What can I say, it's about nine feet away from my master bedroom window in a side yard where the sound bounces off of both houses. It's loud. I accept that it's fully within their rights and permissible by bylaw to install it where they did. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it, and I'd certainly have preferred it in their other side yard.

We used to hear my previous neighbour banging out his girlfriend, so pick your poison I guess. City living...

Edit: now that I've rustled beyond.ca's collective jimmies, I'm accepting proposals on what to do next. Build a fence? Smash out my neighbour's security lamp bulbs? Move? Call 311?
    Name:  MRI-Ear-Plugs-MBE33-CMX.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  8.1 KB

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Name:  B3ytZ0z.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  170.4 KB
    Keep window closed (you don't have A/C so obviously opened), and put up a sound matt (basically a big fluffy curtain, does wonders).

As for the OP, whenever stuff like this happens, there is no excuse to not spend the $35 shipped for a Wyze. 10 minutes to setup, done.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Is Wyze the go to for small cheap cameras?

Next step would be figuring out how to wire the damn thing outside...

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Is Wyze the go to for small cheap cameras?

Next step would be figuring out how to wire the damn thing outside...
    Yup, I don't think you will find anything even remotely close in terms of features, quality, cost and a polished smartphone/ipad app. Free 14 day cloud storage too for 12 second motion activated clips (minimum of 5 min between clips). If you want 24/7 recording, throw a $10 micro SD card in your cart as well. Also at the price, if someone decides to destroy it you're out less than $40 and you will probably see who did it.

If it has to be outside, that makes it way more annoying to install because you need to get power to it that won't just be unplugged. WyzeCams aren't waterproof either just FYI - if you can set it up to look through a window that might be better.

when I was shopping around for ac, the salesman sales said this to me:

Salesman: We also sell a blanket for the ac

Me: what’s the blanket do?

Salesman: our tech installs it in the ac unit somewhere, it deadens the sounds and basically reduces the sound for the neighbors around you. It’s $100 or something like that. The question is this, do you like your neighbor enough to get one to reduce the noise they hear?

Me: not at all, I will pass on the blanket thank you.

So yeah I had the option, and honestly if the ac was mounted in the side beside my cool neighbor, i would’ve done it. But my neighbor on the otherside, I don’t care about. Sorry but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yup, I don't think you will find anything even remotely close in terms of features, quality, cost and a polished smartphone/ipad app. Free 14 day cloud storage too for 12 second motion activated clips (minimum of 5 min between clips). If you want 24/7 recording, throw a $10 micro SD card in your cart as well. Also at the price, if someone decides to destroy it you're out less than $40 and you will probably see who did it.

If it has to be outside, that makes it way more annoying to install because you need to get power to it that won't just be unplugged. WyzeCams aren't waterproof either just FYI - if you can set it up to look through a window that might be better.
    They aren't waterproof but you can buy outdoor housings for them now.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I tend to consult with neighbours during random conversations like 'hey, btw ill be installing a new camera here" in passing, but not seeking approval.
    Same here, the absolute worst thing is having a neighbor brooding because you didn’t even acknowledge it could potentially bother them. So many people are piss poor at common day to day interactions it’s hilarious. Most people don’t even have their neighbors phone numbers.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Night 2, lights still there.

The major issue for any sort of camera would be the power and mounting... this light in on the back of my garage facing the alley, so short of drilling through the wall, power is a no go unless tapped into the light which is easily accessible. I'll take a closer look this weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2