Quantcast
Nobody cares about brexit? - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody cares about brexit?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most recent Brexit deal voted down by British Parliament. 17 days to deadline.

So, hard brexit has to be the outcome here, doesn't it? I've seen no credible third option that would be approved by the EU.
    Im actually starting to think it wont happen. The opposition parties keep opposing on the strategy to frustrate, frustrate and grind down. Very Union style tactics from a Trade Union party.
    My bet is they will go the route of an Extension of Article 50.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Im actually starting to think it wont happen. The opposition parties keep opposing on the strategy to frustrate, frustrate and grind down. Very Union style tactics from a Trade Union party.
    My bet is they will go the route of an Extension of Article 50.

X2, also quite certain that they'll ask for an extension instead of a no deal. A no deal Brexit would destroy the UK. but then again, i didnt think they're dumb enough to vote for leaving in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I don't understand your argument about NATO and Sovereignty. NATO is a military alliance formed after WW2.
    The issue of Sovereignty is the EU having a say on British Soil. Maybe im dumb. Can someone else explain what Kert is trying to explain..?
    NATO has mandates it puts onto member states (i.e. rules an outside entity has on British soil): Requirements on defense spending, which ammo British soldiers can use (British wanted to use their 7mm cartridge, but had to switch to the 7.62mm one the Americans were using in the name of NATO standardization), mandating that Britain enter a war because a different country was attacked. All sovereignty issues in the end.

A lot of things were led by the UK in relation to Europe. Yes your right it predates the EU. I concede that. But your missing the point (as always).It does not change the fact that the Britons want to leave.

There would be implications depending on the laws passed by Brexit. You don't know what those implications are.

Its not a nonsense complaint at all. Thats the type of attitude that led to people voting to leave in the first place. Its a first step.
    Legitimate concerns were not being listened to. Your understanding of or lack of how criminal enterprises use this to frustrate UK confiscation orders pretty much sums it up.
    Right now there's only one piece of Brexit legislation which is that if Britain leaves the EU they're committed to staying in the ECHR.

Of course no-deal means the UK would still be in the ECHR as well. They could decide to leave it, but that doesn't change that they've solidified ECHR legislation into the British common law.

This being a reason people voted to leave the EU simply shows they knew even less about the ECHR than they did about the EU. Ignorance abounds.

I can't belive your still arguing about this.. Talk about continuously sidestepping the point. Ok, So you want to play English Literature when it suits you? Fineeee...Allow me to clarify. There is free movement between the countries. Apply that same logic to Canada, USA, Mexico and central America.
    There is free movement of EU citizens, but that isn't who you were talking about. You were talking about people who 'weren't stopping.' Those people can get stopped at the border as it currently is...because it isn't an open border.

Okay, I'll apply it. Canada will be like the UK in this North American Union. It has border control but allows the free movement of NAU members. USA and Mexico have free movement between them. Some Central Americans, the undesirables they are, get into Mexico, and proceed through the US to the Canadian border with the hopes to work. They're stopped, because they're not NAU citizens and can't work without a visa. Mexicans and Americans proceed through border control via the 'NAU passport' control.

Its interesting how you create a narrative that the the British are longing for the time of the British Empire. I don't know where that came from.
    You gave two examples of the impressive British history of public resiliance: the Napolenoic wars (a continental war in which the British public were virtually unaffected), and WWII (where the British public were indeed affected, but also not noticeably more than other people in Europe who were in a war zone). I'm sure you could give more, but they're examples that really pump the tires of a time when Britain was truly British, the time when it was a superpower that could actually stand up to other superpowers. When there was an Empire to call on. Good times.

You don't see much romanticism of British culture when things were on the gradual decline (particularly that bit between the end of WWII and the rise of a strong European economic community)

It think you read arguments and you create a false narrative from that to get people to argue with you. The empire post was one example. Here is another example of a post you made.

.. Nobody was arguing who was the majority. Hell my post on that was a direct read from Wikipedia. Your just picking at things to create a argument. There was no argument to be had on that, nobody presented a argument on the majority. Yet you still tried to create one out of nothing.
    So you think the reason the UK doesn't want Ireland to reunite is because Henry VIII created a church that is basically irrelevant in Ireland?

Even if it were, why would that be a reason they wouldn't want the Ireland's to be reunited? These would be important things to know considering it is only the source of the Brexit headaches, and you have at best a superficial understanding of what the issues are.

But beause it's been a while, we need to remember that amidst the Brexit panic, this happened:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...million-payout

The U.K. government reached a last-minute settlement with the owners of the Channel Tunnel, and will pay 33 million pounds ($44 million) to avoid a potentially embarrassing Brexit court case.

The government was due in court Friday to defend a lawsuit over its award of back-up ferry contracts to handle freight shipments, just weeks after one of the contracts with a startup company that didn’t own any ships fell through. The suit was brought by Eurotunnel -- which operates the undersea link between the U.K. and mainland Europe.

And this came to light:

https://www.businessinsider.com/brex...l-chaos-2019-2

The UK government is due to hold emergency talks with industry leaders on Tuesday after discovering that the country doesn't have the right pallets to continue exporting goods to the European Union if it leaves without a deal next month.

My Ride
    *The First*

It's time for some rep!

Still M.A.Y.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    But beause it's been a while, we need to remember that amidst the Brexit panic, this happened:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...million-payout

The U.K. government reached a last-minute settlement with the owners of the Channel Tunnel, and will pay 33 million pounds ($44 million) to avoid a potentially embarrassing Brexit court case.

The government was due in court Friday to defend a lawsuit over its award of back-up ferry contracts to handle freight shipments, just weeks after one of the contracts with a startup company that didn’t own any ships fell through. The suit was brought by Eurotunnel -- which operates the undersea link between the U.K. and mainland Europe.

And this came to light:

https://www.businessinsider.com/brex...l-chaos-2019-2

The UK government is due to hold emergency talks with industry leaders on Tuesday after discovering that the country doesn't have the right pallets to continue exporting goods to the European Union if it leaves without a deal next month.
    Don't worry. After brexit, UK will become become a Chinese province. Kinda like a reverse HK.

Then they will have all the bargaining power again. After all the UK already got all the firewall and surveillance hardware that integration into Chinese social credit system is simple.

My Ride

so no deal got voted down as well as predicted by most. Now they'll most likely ask for an extension. EU should say fuck you and deny their request.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    so no deal got voted down
    That's not quite what happened. This is what all the MSM either fails to mention completely or buries it in the article

The motion on Wednesday isn’t legally binding and the U.K. could still potentially crash out of the EU on March 29 if no Brexit deal is agreed on and no delay is granted by the bloc.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...no-deal-brexit

The EU has said there is no practical reason to extend the exit, as nothing will change. They have Britain/Theresa May by the balls. Its either hard brexit, accept the current proposal as is, another referendum, or elections. The EU has clearly stated they want Britain shitshow not participating in their elections this summer, they've already said fuck you (in case you didn't know this).

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    That's not quite what happened. This is what all the MSM either fails to mention completely or buries it in the article

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...no-deal-brexit

The EU has said there is no practical reason to extend the exit, as nothing will change. They have Britain/Theresa May by the balls. Its either hard brexit, accept the current proposal as is, another referendum, or elections. The EU has clearly stated they want Britain shitshow not participating in their elections this summer, they've already said fuck you (in case you didn't know this).

not quite, the vote to ask for an extension goes down tomorrow. EU never said fuck you no as they have yet to vote on it either

also, UK can actually cancel Brexit altogether without EU agreeing to let them "back" in.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...itics-46481643

Once the vote is done to ask for an extension, the following is to happen:

If a short extension was needed for a few weeks - to make sure any last-minute deal gets turned into law in the right way - that would almost certainly get the green light. Otherwise, the EU could get the blame for a no-deal Brexit.

Even a three-month extension, until the end of June, should not be too complicated. There are European elections in May, but the new parliament does not sit for the first time until the first week of July.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47031312

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

not quite, the vote to ask for an extension goes down tomorrow. EU never said fuck you no as they have yet to vote on it either

also, UK can actually cancel Brexit altogether without EU agreeing to let them "back" in.
    It doesn't matter if they ask for an extension. EU reps have stated that the package is the package, and if Britain comes to them asking for an extension, the whole extension rests on "why?" They have said they will only grant an extension if it is to allow time for elections or another referendum. Other than that, it's either accept package, hard brexit, or brexit cancelled.

I didn't include Brexit cancelled because, uh, that would cause actual riots in the streets. Over 50% voted for exiting the EU, I don't think throwing up their hands and cancelling it is really an option.

My Ride

It doesn't matter if they ask for an extension. EU reps have stated that the package is the package, and if Britain comes to them asking for an extension, the whole extension rests on "why?" They have said they will only grant an extension if it is to allow time for elections or another referendum. Other than that, it's either accept package, hard brexit, or brexit cancelled.

I didn't include Brexit cancelled because, uh, that would cause actual riots in the streets. Over 50% voted for exiting the EU, I don't think throwing up their hands and cancelling it is really an option.
    So you didn't read anything I have posted did you.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

When parenting, if you are firm and clear, it's important to allow your children to experience the natural consequences of their actions. I'm a huge believer in that. In this case, the natural consequence of "no deal" is a hard brexit. I've been pretty consistent in saying that, and honestly at this point, I think that's what will happen and what will be best for the EU.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Meh I don’t expect the vote to not hard brexit to be any more binding than the referendum on leaving in the first place.

Britain doesn’t know wtf they are doing, and I entirely blame the Irish.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Apparently, now the citizen understands the true ramification of Brexit, 80% polled today say they will stay or cancel Brexit.

That's why government should never allow votes on something like this. Voters are mostly single issue voters and rarely a majority understand the bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    When parenting, if you are firm and clear, it's important to allow your children to experience the natural consequences of their actions. I'm a huge believer in that. In this case, the natural consequence of "no deal" is a hard brexit. I've been pretty consistent in saying that, and honestly at this point, I think that's what will happen and what will be best for the EU.
    At this point, I agree that hard Brexit is also the best for EU and remaining members. The union will grow stronger because of it.

Britain doesn’t know wtf they are doing, and I entirely blame the Irish.
    Without Northern Ireland, Brexit would be much easier. Just Brexit and let the Irish unification happen.

Man, I should have toured Ireland earlier before IRA burn the place down again.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-14-2019 at 12:22 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

So you didn't read anything I have posted did you.
    You clearly haven't read what I've said either. What you are suggesting is about the equivalent of elections for a new government happening, and the current government going "...ya, no".

And polls I've seen say a referendum would possibly result in an even higher % wanting to leave the EU after seeing just how awful they are willing to treat Britain.

So yes, parliament can vote to stay, but its arguably more untenable of an option than hard brexit. And the EU has specifically stated they won't give an extension, so it doesn't matter how much the British gov wishes it.

My Ride

You clearly haven't read what I've said either. What you are suggesting is about the equivalent of elections for a new government happening, and the current government going "...ya, no".

And polls I've seen say a referendum would possibly result in an even higher % wanting to leave the EU after seeing just how awful they are willing to treat Britain.

So yes, parliament can vote to stay, but its arguably more untenable of an option than hard brexit. And the EU has specifically stated they won't give an extension, so it doesn't matter how much the British gov wishes it.
    Da fuck? when did i suggest that there's a new government? I simple outlined what is to happen next aftr a "no deal Brexit" was voted down.

My Ride
    Bicycle

When your reality distortion field say everyone want to leave and mine say everyone wants to stay, it's good to know that the average of 6 polls for last month say 53/47 for staying.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-...poll-of-polls/

I agree with this. I don't think EU want UK to still be around on summer election. So extension unlikely.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-14-2019 at 03:00 PM.

My Ride

if you cant read, maybe watch?

My Ride
    Bicycle

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Associated Press
    British lawmakers have defeated Theresa May’s Brexit deal for the third time. Here's what happens next

The U.K. now faces a deadline of April 12 to present the EU with a new plan, or crash out of the bloc without an agreement
    https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...r-delay-brexit
    So, we are rolling smoothly towards a no-deal brexit.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast