Quantcast
Hong Kong vs China 2019 - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong vs China 2019

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess that's why they only know how to react by shooting a citizen in the eye, pulling the underwear off a female bystander, hiring triads to slash and smash random people on their head? In my perspective, I think HKPF has gone too far. But they are also only doing their job and want to put food on their table.
    Clearly you’re buying into the narrative. That’s ok, I was partially there when I started the thread haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Clearly you’re buying into the narrative. That’s ok, I was partially there when I started the thread haha.
    when it comes to politics, facts make sense only within an ideological framework.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Lol it's pretty hard not to especially the way Carrie Lam 'answer' the questions from the journalist. My blood boils from watching her press conferences!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    If you want to pin it as kids are acting out before they can afford a home/life, you can both blame China and HK's tax policy.

Chinese's communist government and currency control is why everyone in China is trying to get money out of the country and HK ended up to be the closest safe haven. Even with limited amount of $ getting out, it's already caused havoc on GTA, GVR and Sydney's real estate prices and many other places around the world. HK is unnaturally boosted by this out flow of $.

The no/low tax regime of HK is advertised as competitive advantage to business but you are right that it basically offload the burden to the people for paying high rent/housing cost.

Now street rumor is that these protesters are paid around $500US each to riot. These are not the original protesters and the 2M+ that is actually fighting for something. If anything these violent protesters are counter-productive to the cause.
    I doubt the original 2M+(numbers claimed by protesters) really understand what they protest for, or just under peer pressure and a fear-of-China complex commonly found in HK people. Someone mentioned above the bill was brought up by a HK guy who murder his GF in Taiwan and fled back to HK, he cant get charged with murder as long as he stays in HK since HK and Taiwan has no extradition treaty. HK gov wants an amendment so that they can transfer suspects in a case by case manner to other countries currently has no treaty with HK. Then this bill amendment becomes controversial because inclusion of mainland China is avocated by pro democracy side of the legislative council as a fear of merge with Chinese law.(yes, HK has extradition treaty with countries like the Philippines, Indonisia, but not Taiwan, Mainland China and Macau).Under this avocacy this movement now becomes a ideological confrontation. Anyone who opposed to the protest, are deemed pro-China, gets bullied then side with those protesters. Personnally I suspect the amendment will actully affect any of the protesters daily life, whoever gets extradited to China if any, would be those hiding in the fourseasons, now they just sit and chill with a cigar, watching these idiots put on a show in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Chinese already got the old people on their side because they have too much to lose and will just do whatever CCCP say for stability.

They are already inject patriotic value and some propaganda into the education system so kids younger than 10 doesn't really know what HK was.

They are also allowing mainlander to reside in HK to have a pro government mix in there to further assimilate. I had relatives that got yelled at by mainlanders for speak Cantonese and that HK should speak Mandarin or Cantonese are 2nd class.

This is why the 20 something to 40 something that has an axe to grind about being assimilated.

Without democracy, China can really play the long game instead of appeasing people every 4-5 years.

Yeah, sucks but following that's been happening for 2 months now, I am surprised people think this won't escalate to the point today.
    My experience is totally the opposite to yours. During my school days I travel from HK to CA a lot, I speak Cantonese with no accent but my Mandarin is a bit northern influenced, I can easily tell the difference of service provided everytime I speak Mandarin intentionally. Your reletives probably encountered some stupid mainlander tourer.

As of assimilation, why would young generations want to isolate HK from China in the first place? Like you said before, HK is of benifit to China as a money laudering center, boosted by Chinese money, from trade business to utilities. I see no reason to isolate HK from China economy-wise. If you are talented young man you will find many decent oppotunities upnorth in China, or when you work with mainlanders you are more competative with language and local background. Is it really a good chioce denying everything with China? What would HK left if situation gets escalated and money flow and financial industry get shifted to place like Singapore?

My step dad is from Hong Kong, originally fled from Shanghai with family in the 1950s, called him a "deep blue" cause he grew up during hard times and lived through HK booming days, wathcing how HK become a maga hub city from a shithole after war. He worked his whole life in HK and southern China. After seeing protesters waving UK and USA flag on TV he told me he would not support any of these protesters demand.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Attachment 87145

HKG shut down. All flights cancelled. You know, I’m almost starting to side with China here. There are protests, then there are illegal protests.
    I was stuck in the middle of this in what was supposed to be a 4 hour layover on my way back to Canada. It led to a night sleeping on the airport terminal floor with no airport or service staff in sight, with a friendly group of Australians. We would take turns charging our phones and watching each others bags so we could sleep for a few hours. I finally got a hotel room for tonight (August 13), and have a flight home via Tokyo on the 14th. Longest layover I have ever experienced. That being said it was a sight to see and I don't know if the pictures do it justice. The floors were packed right from the arrivals up to the departure levels and from the McDonald's above (which ran out of food). There was barely any room to walk and move around, nor was there any real information given to us as the flights started getting canceled. The protesters for the most part were polite, and were bringing us the passengers food and water in the middle of the night.

From a financial perspective. There is no denying that for some goods, China produces the same quality as the USA at 10x less cost. Comparing to Britain, probably closer to 20x cheaper. This probably does scare the bejeebus out of the young generation in HK, as it should. As is under a British system, you can bake a cake call it "European Artisan" and sell it for $20, but China will probably net you $1.

Why "should" China scare young people in HK? Because when you start out in the workforce, you are not part of the machine yet - you are literally the guy doing the basic jobs to keep things running, and its near impossible to compete with mainlanders on that based on that. The opposite side of this financial divide is a Barista in Vancouver who can't afford rent because a HK tourist has bought a shack of a house for $5 million.

But I will add this: USA knows China is winning, Britain is just trying to keep up with the USA. There might be initial shock, but Hong Kong is incredibly lucky to actually be handed over to China at a time when it is firing on all pistons. I would not protest too hard, because its literally complaining about being tied to the team that is year on year trouncing every other nation. Literally HK is the luckiest nation ever, unlike places like French Guyana - of which the French did nothing to improve the jungle hundreds of years later (IE: You can still literally die on a one week vacation from a bug crawling into your bed)

I still say the USA will eventually campaign into South America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown "Jonestown resulted in the largest single loss of American civilian life in a deliberate act until September 11, 2001."
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-13-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by bob9979 View Post
    My experience is totally the opposite to yours. During my school days I travel from HK to CA a lot, I speak Cantonese with no accent but my Mandarin is a bit northern influenced, I can easily tell the difference of service provided everytime I speak Mandarin intentionally. Your reletives probably encountered some stupid mainlander tourer.
    Nah, I talked about this 5 years ago. My cousins who moved here last year says it’s definitely getting worse.

I think it's a shitstorm that's been slowly brewing since '97. HK is very different than pre-97, the city has been Mandarin-ized significantly in the last 17 years, and native Hongers are slowly losing their identity. This whole deal with the appointments is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

The economy has shifted significantly towards mainlanders and Mandarin speakers. Want to get promoted? You better know how to speak Mandarin, and have ties back to the mainland to get ahead. Go shopping for expensive stuff? Mandarin speakers will get preferential treatment, and Cantonese only speakers gets ignored. I feel like a 2nd class citizen in HK when I go shopping because I don't speak Mandarin, even though I was born there. It's only a matter of time before things shift down to the middle class, where something as simple as going out for dinner will be a PITA for Cantonese folks.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

This was at the airport/

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

It's fucked, by the afternoon no one can check in or make their way to security, while flights are still "departing". flights in the morning got lucky and took off before the protesters get there.

As a Honger I'm all for fighting for the future and all, but this stunt at the airport is too much. So many travelers got fucked over couldn't come or go.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The future is inevitable in another 28 years. Dunno if they realize that.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

I'm of the same opinion... it was agreed upon generations ago now. Why are people risking their lives for this? On top of that, China and Russia these days will do whatever the fuck they please...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Nah, I talked about this 5 years ago. My cousins who moved here last year says it’s definitely getting worse.
    Yeah, I have to say all my relatives who are still there echo the same sentiment. Their identity is being erased. You don't speak Mandarin, you will NEVER be promoted.

Just look at Cathay Pacific. Government is basically interfering with them now and bankrupting the business unless they fire all protesters in their company. Then again, we as Canadian is also on the receiving end of this policy, should not be surprised how authoritarian government works.

Probably less than that now. HK is only 3% of GDP of China. I can see CCCP burn it to the ground just to save the other 97% and make sure they don't try anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    It's fucked, by the afternoon no one can check in or make their way to security, while flights are still "departing". flights in the morning got lucky and took off before the protesters get there.

As a Honger I'm all for fighting for the future and all, but this stunt at the airport is too much. So many travelers got fucked over couldn't come or go.
    Leaderless movement will fail. It's now just uncontrolled dumb kids doing dumb shit.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-13-2019 at 09:18 AM.

My bad, I should've made it clear, I mean everytime I spoke mandarin intentionally I feel like I'd been treated worse, and this was compared in regular places I went to. In my case I feel like Mandarin Speakers are somehow discriminated by local people. They do treat mainlanders like god when it comes to shopping luxury stuff, which is understandable cause they are the biggest buyer.

If this happened anywhere else in the world I think those cops would have shot a few people:

I understand they're upset, but why do they think violent protests and shutting down the airport will get them what they want? I feel like that will just piss the people in power off more. Excuse my ignorance but I haven't been following this story very closely - just been reading about the airport shutdown, protesters beating up people they suspect are cops, etc.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I understand they're upset, but why do they think violent protests and shutting down the airport will get them what they want? I feel like that will just piss the people in power off more. Excuse my ignorance but I haven't been following this story very closely - just been reading about the airport shutdown, protesters beating up people they suspect are cops, etc.
    I think it changed when it turned violent and movement is virtually headless.

Occupy movement was huge and lasted a while and it went nowhere. Protestors can drag it out all they want but all they're gonna do is piss off Beijing even more and annoy local HK citizens who just want to go to work in peace. I don't think there's much risk of protests spreading to mainland because unlike the '80s living standards have vastly improved and there's too much at stake for people to risk it all on a protest.

And yes HK and police in Asia in general are big time wussies. Or maybe we're just used to super aggressive and violent American/Canadian style policing.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Geez, that cop was getting his ass cornered and beat.

Good thing he pulled out that pea shooter haha.

Asian police are soft but when they call in to the military for reinforcement you are effed.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast