Quantcast
Climate change discussion. - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate change discussion.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you sure? All I see everywhere is that oilsands oil is the most carbon intensive on the planet, which makes sense. I haven't been able to find any good data to refute that either. Kind of paints us with a shitty brush. Undoubtedly we keep our environment the cleanest, but in terms of CO2 emissions, are we actually better than anyone?

Look at saudi, they poke a hole in the ground and make 1000-10000 bbl per day. We need mega fracs and oilsands to approach their productivity
    They also flare oil and vent gas everywhere. What's even reported?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Works great in remote or third-world situations where you either live without backup or you maintain your own energy storage solution.
    Like those remote, poor, northern Reservations where they have limited infrastructure and solar panels all over.
    -devil's advocate

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    They also flare oil and vent gas everywhere. What's even reported?
    Might be tough to flare oil... some gas plants at my companies have tried (oil / condy) and it doesn't burn too clean in my experience lol

I mean sure they do but my point stands, we need a shitload more inputs to get our oil out of the ground and into a usable form. Your observation doesn't change my point. I am actually looking for proof that maybe its not as bad as people point out.

My Ride
    4x4

https://insideevs.com/news/373805/ch...electric-cars/

So... China made millions of electric cars that are worthless a year later. (35% residual)

How much ghg was created to make those? What's the carbon offset?

Just asking

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    https://insideevs.com/news/373805/ch...electric-cars/

So... China made millions of electric cars that are worthless a year later. (35% residual)

How much ghg was created to make those? What's the carbon offset?

Just asking
    No time for questions or data, if we just pay more Carbon Tax here it'll all work out.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here's a fun Rasmussen poll.

https://scottrasmussen.com/51-of-you...thin-15-years/

Half (51%) of voters under 35 believe it is at least somewhat likely humanity will be wiped out in the next decade or so. Only 12% of senior citizens agree (and only 4% of seniors believe it is Very Likely).
    Fucking kids lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

what's Santa gonna do? lay off all the elves? that's crazy!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Here's a fun Rasmussen poll.

https://scottrasmussen.com/51-of-you...thin-15-years/

Fucking kids lol.
    Can't blame impressionable minds when it's all they see and grew up with online. A simar poll could have had similar results when it came to the cold war before the USSR collapsed.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Can't blame impressionable minds when it's all they see and grew up with online. A simar poll could have had similar results when it came to the cold war before the USSR collapsed.
    Global cooling.
    Hole in the ozone layer
    USSR is going to nuke us.
    Loss of Amazon rainforest.
    Acid rain will kill us.

Our generation got the same

BTW: Solar power in the desert is totally utilized in the wrong way. What you really want to do is use a solar reflector array made up of kitchen sink like stainless steel panels on the ground all focused at one spot, melting sand into ingots for PV cells for maybe 8 hours of the day.

Why convert heat into energy (steam), when you can convert it into movable energy generation (silicon ingots)? The main reason we use oil is because it is transportable to where you need the energy. If you simply use ultrathin stainless steel reflectors (a section or two of land in the middle of an empty desert) and slowly drop sand into the focus point, you can then transport the silicon to where you actually need energy via good old fashioned truck.

Molten salt? Idiots, you want molten silicon that can cool overnight and then be trucked off and cut to make solar panels. All you get heating up molten salt is a whole lot of molten salt in an area where you probably do not need any energy.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-02-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Global cooling.
    Hole in the ozone layer
    USSR is going to nuke us.
    Loss of Amazon rainforest.
    Acid rain will kill us.

Our generation got the same
    Ya climate change is happening though... it's just whether we're the cause of it that's debated.

Sorry I haven't been following this thread.. some of you actually believe it's not happening?

Humanity is not going to die out in 15 years. In fact I'll wager that everything will be pretty much the same in 15 years.

Dunno how that dummy Thurnburg is going to be like when someone interviews her in 10 years. At least she'll be rich.

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Ya climate change is happening though... it's just whether we're the cause of it that's debated.

Sorry I haven't been following this thread.. some of you actually believe it's not happening?
    Don't get sucked into the climate dogmatists web. They are trying to create an illusion that if you debate the merits of the man made climate change theory, you are a fool who is denouncing climate change period. This gives them the opportunity to discredit you based on your made up denial of basic observable science. It should be assumed whenever a debate on climate change takes place, we are talking purely about the merits of man made climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post

One day when I have some free time I'm going to take a look at the source code for some of the climate modelling software and the input data.

The problem with computers is that they do exactly what you tell them to do. The other problem is GIGO.

My Ride
    Edge

Very interesting article about the use of different forms of energy:

'Now, as the world faces the daunting challenge of trying to curb climate change by weaning itself from fossil fuels, Smil's work on energy transitions is getting more attention than ever. But his message is not necessarily one of hope. Smil has forced climate advocates to reckon with the vast inertia sustaining the modern world's dependence on fossil fuels, and to question many of the rosy assumptions underlying scenarios for a rapid shift to alternatives. "He's a slayer of bullshit," says David Keith, an energy and climate scientist at Harvard University.

Give Smil 5 minutes and he'll pick apart one cherished scenario after another. Germany's solar revolution as an example for the world to follow? An extraordinarily inefficient approach, given how little sunlight the country receives, that hasn't reduced that nation's reliance on fossil fuels. Electric semitrailers? Good for little more than hauling the weight of their own batteries. Wind turbines as the embodiment of a low-carbon future? Heavy equipment powered by oil had to dig their foundations, Smil notes, and kilns fired with natural gas baked the concrete. And their steel towers, gleaming in the sun? Forged with coal.

"There's a lot of hopey-feely going on in the energy policy community," says David Victor, an expert on international climate policy at the University of California, San Diego. And Smil "revels in the capability to show those falsehoods.'

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...s-about-energy

There's a lot of money to be made being a climate alarmist. Math is hard, so people literally believe that slapping some solar panels and putting a couple of lead acid batteries in the basement is enough for them to tell "The Man" to fuck off.

And metallurgical coal will be burned until the end of civilization.
    Last edited by suntan; 10-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    very interesting article about the use of different forms of energy:

'now, as the world faces the daunting challenge of trying to curb climate change by weaning itself from fossil fuels, smil's work on energy transitions is getting more attention than ever. But his message is not necessarily one of hope. Smil has forced climate advocates to reckon with the vast inertia sustaining the modern world's dependence on fossil fuels, and to question many of the rosy assumptions underlying scenarios for a rapid shift to alternatives. "he's a slayer of bullshit," says david keith, an energy and climate scientist at harvard university.

Give smil 5 minutes and he'll pick apart one cherished scenario after another. Germany's solar revolution as an example for the world to follow? An extraordinarily inefficient approach, given how little sunlight the country receives, that hasn't reduced that nation's reliance on fossil fuels. Electric semitrailers? Good for little more than hauling the weight of their own batteries. Wind turbines as the embodiment of a low-carbon future? Heavy equipment powered by oil had to dig their foundations, smil notes, and kilns fired with natural gas baked the concrete. And their steel towers, gleaming in the sun? Forged with coal.

"there's a lot of hopey-feely going on in the energy policy community," says david victor, an expert on international climate policy at the university of california, san diego. And smil "revels in the capability to show those falsehoods.'

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...s-about-energy
    fta:

in 2000, fossil fuels provided 84% of germany's energy. Then the country embarked on a historic campaign, building 90 gigawatts of renewable power capacity, enough to match its existing electricity generation. But because germany sees the sun only 10% of the time, the country is as hooked as ever on fossil fuels: In 2017, they still supplied 80% of its energy.
    bwahaahaha!

My Ride
    *The First*

There sure are a lot of tonnes of CO2 being produced by burning fossil fuels. So many tonnes! It's obvious that this should be contributing to a noticeable problem.
    I can't help but wonder where the chaGillions of tonnes of water produced by burning fossil fuels goes. Where does it all go? Why aren't we drowning? Why is there not more rain? Why does potable water remain so scarce in vast regions of Earth?
    Since science is so clear that "we live on an apple and the skin is the atmosphere," shouldn't the flesh of that apple be getting a lot more moist?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    fta:

bwahaahaha!
    FWIW it’s down to 50% in 2018. Cherry picked to use 2017 numbers.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast