Quantcast
Cordless mower /trimmer /blower kits - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cordless mower /trimmer /blower kits

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Cordless mower /trimmer /blower kits

Have a tiny urban yard. Like 200 square feet of grass. Thinking of a cordless mower. Maybe the 18v mower/blower/trimmer kit from home depot.

Know a bunch of beyonders have the 40v ryobi. What's the difference? What do I need to know? Like the idea of a kit because I will probably use the blower more days than the mower.

I coukd actually use a new cordless impact driver for wheel swaps, so if the company makes one of those that's nice.

School me.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

I don't have a ton of specific advice, but if you want something that can leverage batteries/chargers for a bunch of other tools it's probably worthwhile to consider Makita.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I have a Makita blower/trimmer and cordless tools. KMS tools has cordless outdoor power kits that aren't too bad on sale. No idea about their mower. But the blower is serious. If you go that route, you need at lease 5ah batteries. Also, I like the system, since it uses 2-18v that can be used in any 18v Makita.

I wish i went with a kit or one where they all used the same battery. I have the Kobalt 40v and a black and decker wacker and its annoying having one battery per tool. Every other mow i swear im having to stop half way because ones dead and needs a charge
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I have a similar size lawn. I use a reel mower from lee valley. Works great and just as easy as a powered unit
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    I have a similar size lawn. I use a reel mower from lee valley. Works great and just as easy as a powered unit
    I am familiar with the unpowered reel mowers. I have owned. I want powered.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Works great and just as easy as a powered unit
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 772
Size:  1.31 MB

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I have Milwaukee 18V string trimmer and blowers. You don't really need a lawn mower if you have a string trimmer. That's how the Aspenites do it.
    The blower works well for light snow in the winter. Battery packs seems to be durable. My cheap ryobi string trimmer battery died after 5 uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

If I still lived in Aspen, EGO all the way.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Aspen people do their own lawn care?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Aspen people do their own lawn care?
    Sounds like #fakenews

My Ride
    V8s

@ExtraSlow let us know when you come to a decision, I'm curious to see what you wind up with.

I'm committed to gas blower/trimmer/mower, and I'm sure my neighbours hate me... but I'm curious nonetheless.

I have a similar yard to you, not much grass in the back yard but maybe a bit more grass with the front yard. I'd go at least 40V, the 18V kits have such little power if your lawn ever gets really long or a bit wet they tend to struggle. That being said the 18V kits have so many other tool options, since all the hand tools take the same batteries. For non-professional 18V I'd still go Ryobi, the sheer amount of choices for their "One" series hand tools is ridiculous, so if you ever need anything in the future you can just grab the cheap bare tool. Warranty is 5 years, they are very cheap, surprisingly well made for the price, and you have 90 days to return them to Home Depot if needed. Otherwise I would go at least 40V so you get more power for your mower/trimmer/edger. I was going to buy an EGO until I saw how big they were, and you need to spend around $800 just to get a brushless motor - they make good stuff, just overkill for small yards.

As for the difference, with 40V system you are getting a lot more power and longer run times, but fewer overall tool choices should you want to expand (most of the 40v tools are yard-care related, whereas the 18v system covers pretty much everything).

I would look at the Greenworks 60V ecosystem. I have a few 80V outdoor tools and would recommend it, but seems like their 60V is their latest and greatest that they are pushing and probably more suited to lighter applications like you have.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm out of town for two weeks now. Probably not getting anything soon. For sure need to be able to get trimmer that uses same battery. With our small yard we spend more time trimming then mowing. Actually considered that "use your trimmer as a mower" thing. Pretty do-able for a lawn that's smaller than many area rugs.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 07-27-2020 at 10:22 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

I have a similar yard to you, not much grass in the back yard but maybe a bit more grass with the front yard. I'd go at least 40V, the 18V kits have such little power if your lawn ever gets really long or a bit wet they tend to struggle. That being said the 18V kits have so many other tool options, since all the hand tools take the same batteries. For non-professional 18V I'd still go Ryobi, the sheer amount of choices for their "One" series hand tools is ridiculous, so if you ever need anything in the future you can just grab the cheap bare tool. Warranty is 5 years, they are very cheap, surprisingly well made for the price, and you have 90 days to return them to Home Depot if needed. Otherwise I would go at least 40V so you get more power for your mower/trimmer/edger. I was going to buy an EGO until I saw how big they were, and you need to spend around $800 just to get a brushless motor - they make good stuff, just overkill for small yards.

As for the difference, with 40V system you are getting a lot more power and longer run times, but fewer overall tool choices should you want to expand (most of the 40v tools are yard-care related, whereas the 18v system covers pretty much everything).
    This doesn't apply to Makita (no idea about Milwaukee). The bigger makita tools (e.g. mower, twimmer, chainsaw, etc) run two 18V in series to make 36V. (Mower can even do 2s2p for long run time at 36V)

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This doesn't apply to Makita (no idea about Milwaukee). The bigger makita tools (e.g. mower, twimmer, chainsaw, etc) run two 18V in series to make 36V. (Mower can even do 2s2p for long run time at 36V)
    Well yeah, if you want to use multiple batteries you can get similar power to the higher voltage systems. Dewalt, Mastercraft, Ryobi etc. all make 18V yard tools too. The higher voltage systems do the same thing, for example the Ego mower that takes 2X 56V batteries. From all the testing I have seen though, the 2X18V systems never seem to have quite the same power or run time as the 40V+ systems, which was one reason why I went that way. Things may have changed since I last did my research at the end of Winter. The advantage of the 2X18V systems though is if you're already invested into the system for other hand tools like drills, etc., you can just buy bare tools since you already have the batteries, so that's nice.

If you aren't already invested into an 18V tool system, I would still just go 40V+. If you already have a ton of 18V tools, and can use the same batteries in the mower (or vise versa), and have a small yard, then that is a good option too.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Do any of the 40v+ manufacturers make anything other than the yard tools? Like an impact for tire swaps?

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Do any of the 40v+ manufacturers make anything other than the yard tools? Like an impact for tire swaps?
    Not that I've seen - above 2.0-2.5Ah, the batteries get too large/heavy for any smaller hand tools, so they are more suited for mowers/chainsaws/blowers/trimmers/etc. The smaller tools seem much more suited for the 18V systems.

I have a 40V 6.0Ah battery and I can do my lawn, my neighbors lawn, the front yard, all trimming, all edging, and all blowing 3 times before it needs a charge. The trade-off is it weighs 3.5lbs, which is as much or more than some of the tools haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-27-2020 at 11:38 AM.

My Ride
    Corvette

Having been buying Toro 60V yard tools, very happy with their performance. Going to try their 60V snow blower in the winter.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast