Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

Name:  346B5456-7A15-45C7-9E25-B09D8E22F174.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  66.5 KB

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the group's practice and thoughts on gate valves over winter? totally empty black & grey with open gate valves, or closed with a few litres of antifreeze in each tank?
    Totally empty, valves closed and then dump a few liters of antifreeze in each. Make sure to hit all the P-traps and put a cup or two on the toilet flapper as well. Anti-freeze is cheap and using a few extra liters is always cheaper than a split line.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Totally empty, valves closed and then dump a few liters of antifreeze in each. Make sure to hit all the P-traps and put a cup or two on the toilet flapper as well. Anti-freeze is cheap and using a few extra liters is always cheaper than a split line.
    Thanks all for the shared personal experiences. I ended up just disassembling all the p-traps and hand-emptying them (well, with the exception of the bath/shower which is antifreeze'd) seemed easy enough.

I left my gate valves open and tanks totally dry but i might go for the antifreeze-in with closed-gate valve approach to keep the gate valve seals wet.

My biggest concern was ensuring that i had the freshwater tank totally empty, even jacking the trailer to tilt it various directions left me worried i was still mixing antifreeze with water. the youtubes showed me how to actually get at my pump and direct plumb an antifreeze bottle to the intake so i'll probably give that a quick run during the same trip.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can never get the holding tanks completely empty, so I always assume the few litres i I pour down the drains doesn't dilute enough, so I leave my valves open in case there is plain water sitting on top of them.

I also don't put ANY antifreeze into my freshwater tank.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 09-24-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thanks all for the shared personal experiences. I ended up just disassembling all the p-traps and hand-emptying them (well, with the exception of the bath/shower which is antifreeze'd) seemed easy enough.

I left my gate valves open and tanks totally dry but i might go for the antifreeze-in with closed-gate valve approach to keep the gate valve seals wet.

My biggest concern was ensuring that i had the freshwater tank totally empty, even jacking the trailer to tilt it various directions left me worried i was still mixing antifreeze with water. the youtubes showed me how to actually get at my pump and direct plumb an antifreeze bottle to the intake so i'll probably give that a quick run during the same trip.
    Don't put antifreeze into your freshwater tank. Jesus, you will taste it FOREVER. Why the hell are you anyways?

Don't put antifreeze into the hot water tank.

Antifreeze is > 50% water. Adding a bit more water does jack shit.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Don't put antifreeze into your freshwater tank. Jesus, you will taste it FOREVER. Why the hell are you anyways?
    lol this is the help kind helpful, blameless and objective advice i love using beyond for.

Honest answer? hadn't a clue where to locate my freshwater pump or run a bypass on the pump intake. I doubt it'll make a huge difference in how much I taste it. Will report back in spring for y'all's entertainment.

edit: and before anyone tells me i should have RTFM, I did, it was well written but super generic, and did not offer any countenance on where to locate the freshwater pump.

I'm winterizing the family cottage and well system this weekend, so my opportunities to fuck this type of operation up are multiple this fall.
    Last edited by prae; 09-24-2020 at 04:03 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you can, drain the fresh water tank now so you aren't leaving that stuff for 7 months to impregnate the plastic with its taste. Serious.
    Drain the hot tank if it's got any in too.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

lol this is the help kind helpful, blameless and objective advice i love using beyond for.

Honest answer? hadn't a clue where to locate my freshwater pump or run a bypass on the pump intake. I doubt it'll make a huge difference in how much I taste it. Will report back in spring for y'all's entertainment.

edit: and before anyone tells me i should have RTFM, I did, it was well written but super generic, and did not offer any countenance on where to locate the freshwater pump.

I'm winterizing the family cottage and well system this weekend, so my opportunities to fuck this type of operation up are multiple this fall.
    You can't put antifreeze into the freshwater tank from the pump, you can only fill the freshwater tank from the opening on the outside of your trailer. Don't put antifreeze in there!

You can hear the pump, it could be under one of the sinks or under a seat.

How did you fill the lines with antifreeze if you didn't use the pump???

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    You can't put antifreeze into the freshwater tank from the pump, you can only fill the freshwater tank from the opening on the outside of your trailer.
    I agree do NOT put antifreeze in the freshwater tank but your statement is not true for some models. I have a "sanitize" setting that draws from the city inlet to the tank via the pump. This is to be able to put bleach into the tank for yearly sanitization. It also comes in handy when dry camping and refilling your tank via an aux tank.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I have to replace my trailers jacks, they are not scissor jacks currently and are getting super stiff to put down. That being said is princess auto the best place to get these at $100 a pair or amazon or is there somewhere else in town scrapping trailers and selling these things cheap?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I have now bought trailer jacks but I have also broken two drill bits trying to drill pilot holes into the trailer frame, any tips or what should I be buying to get this done?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Drilling hardened steel is a bastard. Get a centre punch to make a "dimple" and then go slow-ish with not too much pressure. Or buy expensive bits, that actually is the best way, but I'm a cheap ass.

,for those camping this weekend, looks like reasonable weather. But time to winterize after this.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Sunday doesn't look nice enough for my taste. That's good weather at the start of the season, but not at the end. I think I'm going to winterize this weekend.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I had intended to winterize 2 weeks ago, but got sidetracked. I'm sleeping in the trailer this weekend but in my in-laws driveway, so I'll winterize while I'm there.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Drilling hardened steel is a bastard. Get a centre punch to make a "dimple" and then go slow-ish with not too much pressure. Or buy expensive bits, that actually is the best way, but I'm a cheap ass.

,for those camping this weekend, looks like reasonable weather. But time to winterize after this.
    Yeah after breaking two bits I got a titanium bit and a corded industrial drill thing from a friend and it still took ages to get through it, but they are all mounted on the trailer now and I put it away for the season this afternoon.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Awesome winterizing weather
    Name:  IMG_20201010_143609603_HDR.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  79.2 KB

My Ride
    Canyonero

Thanks to all in this thread for giving me shit about antifreeze in the freshwater tank. It was the nudge I needed to go and find the mysterious third drain on my trailer and I probably had 3 litres of freshwater sitting in the tank. I feel much better about the quality of the winterizing I've completed now. Will report back in spring if any carnage.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Giving people shit is what beyond is for.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Thanks to all in this thread for giving me shit about antifreeze in the freshwater tank. It was the nudge I needed to go and find the mysterious third drain on my trailer and I probably had 3 litres of freshwater sitting in the tank. I feel much better about the quality of the winterizing I've completed now. Will report back in spring if any carnage.
    I still have about 3L of fresh water sitting in my fresh water tank although I have winterized the rest. I thought it would be alright just leaving it in there because the water level is below where the pump can drain it but I did notice there is a 3rd drain too. Should I drain it completely @ExtraSlow or is it ok leaving a bit of water in there?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I you can drain it, go ahead. if you cannot, no biggie, because it's got lots of room to expand as it freezes.

Page 101 of 150 FirstFirst ... 91 100 101 102 111 ... LastLast