Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 505 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 505 of 985 FirstFirst ... 495 504 505 506 515 ... LastLast
Results 10,081 to 10,100 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's amazing what physical distancing, regular hand washing, working from home, and wearing masks can do, isn't it? Reduces the number of cases of flu and COVID.
    Agreed, our society has not valued hand washing and working from home enough - there will definitely be some positive outcomes from all this as well. More people and businesses will recognize the value in staying home when you are sick.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Agreed, our society has not valued hand washing and working from home enough - there will definitely be some positive outcomes from all this as well. More people and businesses will recognize the value in staying home when you are sick.
    People maybe, businesses.....tbd

I think the argument on work from home is a really interesting one as a result of COVID. I work for a company that already did this and can say in my own experience that it is a productivity killer and I would much prefer being able to get back in the office. Far too much time in meetings talking about work rather than collaborating in person and doing work. The other question also has to be asked about “what is the right number of employees who can be offshored” if an employees job can be done from anywhere.
    Last edited by finboy; 11-16-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post

I get that, and I also understand the position of politicians to say “we are making science based decisions” (you and I agree they only are when it’s convenient) rather than “we don’t know, so let’s be overly cautious until we know more.” But I think where we might align is on that credence of an abundance of caution might not be best enacted by policy makers who only seem to know how to use the bluntest of instruments.
    I wouldn't hold out hope for data on long-covid being available in a timeframe that is useful for policymakers somehow. The picture on the impacts of the various organs by covid will not be well understood until long after the population has been vaccinated. It will provide an interesting foundation for a lot of basic science when it comes to physiology and viral infection eventually.

As for policymakers in general, I agree. They are restricted by slow moving bureaucracies, politicians who have to consider their re-election requirements in their decision making calculations, a limited set of tools, and the fact that the public likely doesn't understand the more technical side of the discussions. My biggest problem with the policymakers is that they aren't being creative. There is NO reason who couldn't make a big push for rapid antigen testing, which has been on the table for months.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I wouldn't hold out hope for data on long-covid being available in a timeframe that is useful for policymakers somehow. The picture on the impacts of the various organs by covid will not be well understood until long after the population has been vaccinated. It will provide an interesting foundation for a lot of basic science when it comes to physiology and viral infection eventually.

As for policymakers in general, I agree. They are restricted by slow moving bureaucracies, politicians who have to consider their re-election requirements in their decision making calculations, a limited set of tools, and the fact that the public likely doesn't understand the more technical side of the discussions. My biggest problem with the policymakers is that they aren't being creative. There is NO reason who couldn't make a big push for rapid antigen testing, which has been on the table for months.
    Full agreement there, daily rapid testing might be the biggest lost opportunity when all the dust has settled. How many businesses could have been saved, jobs prevented from being lost, suicides avoided, etc. if policy makers took the risk to approve a less than perfect test. More data we will not find out until long after the vaccines are widely distributed, and COVID is long since in the rear view before the next election cycle.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No it isn't larger than I think. Even if assuming these long term effects, the amount of people that get them doesn't really change. So it's a moot point. I would bet my 3rd nut that the potential economic damages from our healthcare system dealing with long term health effects of covid would be far less than anything we have artificially forced ourselves to endure to date. And even if it was comparable, it would be better to spread that societal cost out over time instead of slamming it all on us in one year.

It's great to have 100% faith in a new unknown vaccine. But in reality covid is still considered a virtual inevitability until a vaccine is released and proves to be effective.
    You're choosing to ignore the recent information on vaccine development and related basic science.

Name:  6DC5DA80-16D2-467D-B9C1-589092084ADE.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  399.6 KB

Good thing they completely missed the mark and shut down studio’s providing fitness classes!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ the info was for AB gyms - which was then added to the canada chart

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Kenney hates cyclists.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Name:  6DC5DA80-16D2-467D-B9C1-589092084ADE.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  399.6 KB

Good thing they completely missed the mark and shut down studio’s providing fitness classes!
    Good thing they completely fucked up the rules and now every company out there is changing the name and getting around the closure
    Sig nuked by mod.

This should probably be in the pet peeves thread, but that calculation is NOT 0.00006%. It’s 0.006% or 0.00006.

Got my first test today. Awaiting results. Scraped my brain though which was rather unpleasant.

Yes that infographic isn’t perfect, I noticed the math right away too.. lol.

But it’s mainly to point out the fitness industry is being scapegoated. Not to mention their verbiage is shit.
    We are currently looking at options and I shit you not this is a potential solution from an AHS rep I chatted with today.

“You can have everyone in your studio as long as they are 6’ apart, your instructor cannot be in the same room and everyone would need to follow a class from their smart device”

What a crock of shit.
    Anyways, we are looking at options to do just this.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Kenney hates cyclists.
    Who doesnt?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Who doesnt?
    @Toilet_X has a thing for spandex

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You're choosing to ignore the recent information on vaccine development and related basic science.
    You've been choosing to ignore all the data up until today. And even now you're ignoring the cost of vaccinating 30 million people, and the fact that the vaccine has the potential to not be the smoking gun you want it to be. I'm at least being realistic about the potential outcomes.

Regardless, even if you're right, this only bolsters my argument that things should be left to the individual to determine what they're willing to risk.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Got my first test today. Awaiting results. Scraped my brain though which was rather unpleasant.
    Yeah unpleasant indeed. Eyes watered all the way home.

So Kenney's COVID-19 tracing app only tracked down 20 cases in 6 months. At a cool cost of $30K+/case. Can't make this shit up lol...
    Last edited by kobe tai; 11-17-2020 at 12:18 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

And the feds blocking the development api's had nothing to do with that?

https://globalnews.ca/news/7171872/k...acing-app/amp/

Interesting article about the benefits and drawbacks of both types of apps.

CBC.ca: Alberta reveals its COVID-19 app has been used to trace only 20 cases over 6 months.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...sues-1.5799537
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 11-17-2020 at 01:11 AM.

My Ride
    Model S

Haha this is crazy

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThatsInsane...hankx_covid19/

I guess most people get their taste/smell back after a few weeks, but some take months. One person in the comments says theirs has been screwed up since March.

Sure that's not worse than dying, but it's not nothing either...

Page 505 of 985 FirstFirst ... 495 504 505 506 515 ... LastLast