Racing Simulator Setup - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing Simulator Setup

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMHO Fanatec > Thrustmaster > Logitech
    Your first mistake was taking this thread seriously.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Your first mistake was taking this thread seriously.
    It was a 100% serious thread. I really do want to be a better driver.

Logitech has a new wheel for PC/Xbox/PS, I haven't seen or tried one, reviews are decent though, G923.

Fanatec has a good starting bundle, but it only comes with a 2 pedal not 3 pedal set, so that's sort of bo-jang, and you need to upgrade it to get a clutch and then buy a shifter on top of that. I'm far from expert on driving sims, I bought setups/games mainly for the kidlets we look after now and then to mess with, the older ones fly mainly flight sims, but the youngest like the driving games. The online racing communities are huge though, people take it pretty seriously, which I too find funny, but there are stupider hobbies out there for sure (golf).

Thrustmaster makes some decent wheels, but after having gone through 4 of their Warthog hotas (3 Cougars over the years as well), and having to deal with the French customer service - tabarnac doesn't cover it.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I have been debating building a whole sim racing setup, all the way to building a custom pod, and moving arms and screens. Building it is the easy part, I have to figure out how to code an arduino or PI to get the automation though.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    rally pig

if my TSLA stock pops then I would love to have these in my basement

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    if my TSLA stock pops then I would love to have these in my basement
    You bought one stock? attaboy! Way to yolo!

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    You bought one stock? attaboy! Way to yolo!
    there’s another split coming right?

My Ride

Got a G29 on sale this week to see if I like this racing thing. Any reason to upgrade to the 923?
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 10-16-2020 at 05:51 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Got a G29 on sale this week to see if I like this racing thing. Any reason to upgrade to the 923?
    I don't think it is really different enough especially if you got the G29 on sale. Didn't really add anything except true force which doesn't even work on all games. It is a good wheel to decide if you use it enough to pony up for a fanatec or something. I haven't used mine enough so I am still using my G920.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    I don't think it is really different enough especially if you got the G29 on sale. Didn't really add anything except true force which doesn't even work on all games. It is a good wheel to decide if you use it enough to pony up for a fanatec or something. I haven't used mine enough so I am still using my G920.
    Very solid advice - I tried out the new 923 since the last post, IMO not worth the $ to upgrade (for the reasons mentioned above) if you already have a G29/etc Logitech wheel and it's working well. The $500 the 923 costs is money much more wisely spent on a Fanatec, IF you have a need, or burning desire to upgrade. I think that if you're going to go Logitech in fact, it's better to wait for the sales that come around and pick up the G29 or similar model for $250 to $350 than spend $500 on the 923.

My Ride

Playing Asseto Corsa, I am woefully disappointed in the lack of trucks. What's this elitist bullshit?

If you upgrade from a G29, go straight to a Fanatec CSL Elite or similar - you will be much happier I think.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If you upgrade from a G29, go straight to a Fanatec CSL Elite or similar - you will be much happier I think.
    That's exactly what I did. G29 and a cheap Xlerator wheel stand to a CSL Elite Wheel, Club Sport V3 Pedals and a GT Omega Cockpit. Quite literally night & day.

Last edited by 94boosted; 10-20-2020 at 07:22 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I've been really back and forth on the idea of giving racing sims a go. Especially interested in playing F1. Unfortunately, I don't have room for a dedicated set-up. How do you guys without a cockpit have your pedals set-up?

On a side note, if anyone has a G920 they are looking to sell, let me know.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

This guy with a G27 wheel. I also use a Vive for VR for monitor. I did use a samsung 48 inch TV on the wall, but the vive makes it infinitely better.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

No need to start a new thread i guess...

Anyone know of racing games you can have split screen on 4 screens? one computer? is this a thing?

i have two xbox 360 wheels that were useless, and figured out how to get them connected to a computer, i think it would be fun to be able to race each other on a computer at work at two desks haha..

EDIT: it works, i just commited and bought Dirt 5 to test it haha... Steering wheels have almost a dead spot when you first start turning them though, and it's in the game because when i run the controller setting i can see it see's them turning immediately so i need to fuck with that. so if anyone isn't too concerned about the quality of their sim setup, here's a super cheap alternative lol
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 11-17-2020 at 04:31 PM.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Haha ended up getting a g920 on sale, stand comes from Amazon tomorrow, ikea chair for a racing chair.

Playing with the shitty 360 wheels at work gave me the itch. What other games than forza are good?

My Ride
    This and that.

I passed on this idea for a setup in my empty room in the basement which was supposed to be a golf simulator but I changed my mind and want to make it a games room with a racing simulator and some arcade machines. What is the best sort of setup to do? Computer with three monitors? PlayStation with a big tv? I would likely only play F1, if I could like NFS then why not. Also recommendations on steering wheels, pedals and racing seat? I have never really done PC gaming and used my PS4 every now and then.

Also any recommendations on where to look for some arcade machines available for sale?

My Ride
    This and that.

So guys I am ready to order my setup and have narrowed things down but just wanna confirm a couple of things. I am not big time gamer or anything so keep that in mind - would a 55" smart tv 4K LED but with 60hz RR be good enough as a racing simulator TV and also just other general PS4 and maybe PS5 down the line gaming?

For the seat itself, I am torn between a Playseat style seat where the TV can be mounted on a wall or placed on a table and your rig just has the steering wheel/pedals and seat vs the type where the rig also has a TV mount installed. I feel the latter would provide a more immersive experience but the former would be handier when I wanna regular games on the PS4 without the use of the rig and from the couch instead.

Thoughts? Experts please chime in.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    So guys I am ready to order my setup and have narrowed things down but just wanna confirm a couple of things. I am not big time gamer or anything so keep that in mind - would a 55" smart tv 4K LED but with 60hz RR be good enough as a racing simulator TV and also just other general PS4 and maybe PS5 down the line gaming?

For the seat itself, I am torn between a Playseat style seat where the TV can be mounted on a wall or placed on a table and your rig just has the steering wheel/pedals and seat vs the type where the rig also has a TV mount installed. I feel the latter would provide a more immersive experience but the former would be handier when I wanna regular games on the PS4 without the use of the rig and from the couch instead.

Thoughts? Experts please chime in.
    You seem to get bored of cars at an insane pace (and I thought I had car ADHD ). Based on that I would recommend you pick up a used G29/T150 wheel, used Playseat and a used PS4, then grab a copy of F1 2020. If after a few months you're still passionate about it then you can upgrade.

IMHO a Thurstmaster T300 wheel & T3PA pedals are the best of the "cheap" setups, if you've got the room grab a proper cockpit as the flex of a Playseat can get old fast, as for TV's get a 4K with 120Hz.

Making the jump up to PC & iRacing is a big step up, you'll need a fairly powerful PC and either a triple monitor, ultra-wide monitor or some VR goggles, either way it adds at least $2500 to your sim build costs. If you just want to play F1 or NFS then I think it's safe to say a PS4/5 and TV is more for you. The jump to a PC and iRacing is more than just the extra cost, it's far more involved and time consuming. And when it comes to PC/iRacing the sky is the limit, places like the Race Room have sims that are well into the 5 figures if you want to see what a high-end full motion rig can be like.

I've got a pretty good rig as far is PS4 rigs go and the only reason I haven't made the jump to PC & iRacing yet is there's a good group of guys (a couple beyond members too) who I race with weekly.
    Last edited by 94boosted; 11-23-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast