Quantcast
2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Sunshine’s parking and gondola are the bottleneck, zero lines once I was on the hill the past two times I’ve gone. Just sucks you have to be there super early or super late to avoid that bottleneck.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Just got back from a few days at Revy. Yesterday was incredible, super high winds closed the gondola early, leaving us on the mountain with runs to ourselves all day. Stoke was bad for vis and had a lot of crusted slabs with the high winds, but Ripper chair seems like its in a sheltered pocket and the snow just kept puking. By the time you got back up your tracks were mostly snowed over again, just a perfect day running glades and the lift line's natural terrain park. Rain at the base level made the ski out not so fun, but well worth getting soaked.

6 days so far this season, 3 of them pow

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking for recommendations, I have 3 kids (8,5,3) none know how to ski and they have no gear. Is it better to rent the gear with a lesson package?? I was thinking about going to fernie for a week, or Canmore and go to sunshine. Might be a pipe dream. COP is always a option as well. Ideally I’d like the big 2 capable on their own ASAP. The 3 year old would probably be with the grand parents

. What’s the best route to get this accomplished.
    Honestly if you think the kids will like it, just buy used gear on Kijiji. You can get decent skis and boots for around $100-$150, then turn around and sell them for the same price next year if they outgrow them. You may have issues finding the 70-80cm skis for your little one, as they are harder to come by.

Looking for recommendations, I have 3 kids (8,5,3) none know how to ski and they have no gear. Is it better to rent the gear with a lesson package?? I was thinking about going to fernie for a week, or Canmore and go to sunshine. Might be a pipe dream. COP is always a option as well. Ideally I’d like the big 2 capable on their own ASAP. The 3 year old would probably be with the grand parents

My daughter is 10 and started skiing last year. All last year I rented for her to make sure she enjoyed it. I had her in a few lessons at Sunshine that included the lesson/rental/ticket. This year I bought her equipment. If you don't want to rent you have a couple of other options.

Season long Rental/Lease - A couple of places like Nakiska or Sports Rent do a season long rental where you pay something like $300 at the beginning of the years and get half of it back when you return the equipment. You keep the equipment all year and it saves the hassle of having to visit the rental shop each time you want to go out.

Buying - Most of the sporting places have an upgrade system where they will give you a portion of the money paid back to put toward the next set. For example, at Sporting Life, when you bring the equipment back with-in 12 months they give you 50% back as a gift card. This works for sale and full price items. So, you buy them boots, skis, poles for $400 and they give you $200 back, but you have to do it within the 12 months.

I found that Ski West had the best terms for this type of program. They give you 50% of the original purchase price, but you have 2 years to do so. They are also flexible on what you bring back at what time, you don't have to exchange all of the gear at the same time. So at the end of this year, I can exchange my daughters boots if her feet have grown but I don't have to exchange her skis for another year. You can keep doing this until the kids are in their first set of adult gear.

Went out to Nakiska on boxing day and it was a ghost town, went out again on the 2 and it wasnt bad either, both days were sold out ticket wise. Parking lot was half full at most at 10:30 and the wait for the chair was only about 15 minutes.

If things were normal id for sure say kijiji but it might be slim pickings now and if there is anything the prices will most likely be out to lunch, still worth a shot. If you're already skier/boarder yourself then get your kids the gear because you'll be sticking with it. COP had good lessons last year and all it took was a 4 week class(4 lessons) and now my kids are faster than my wife. The 8 and 5 will pick it up no problem and depending on how tough the 3 year old is he/she can totally ride too, ive seen babies on skis going down.
    Were on year 2 of nakiska fam passes and for $700(Early bird price) its worth every cent, this hill is perfect for younger families and its got steep enough terrain if you wanna bomb.

Look into the Gripper ripper harness, best harness system out there because it retracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Ended up buying the kids equipment used off Facebook and kijiji. Each kid got helmet, skis, and boots for $70-85. We are going to try nakiska on Friday at the magic carpet, goal is to get them comfortable on skis then put them in lessons for their third time out. Hopefully be able to get a season pass for next year at one of the hills.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Ended up buying the kids equipment used off Facebook and kijiji. Each kid got helmet, skis, and boots for $70-85. We are going to try nakiska on Friday at the magic carpet, goal is to get them comfortable on skis then put them in lessons for their third time out. Hopefully be able to get a season pass for next year at one of the hills.
    Good decision! You will be able to sell that gear for the same amount if not more when they outgrow it.

COP carpet system is way better, they have a couple areas and the one up top is a pretty decent length

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Good decision! You will be able to sell that gear for the same amount if not more when they outgrow it.
    This! My kids out grow their shit every year and i just repost it. I sold a set of skis and boots this year for more than i paid lol
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Nakiska is the way to go. Cheap family season pass, very close to home, and in general has enough variety for anyone to cut their teeth into snow sports. Pretty much everyone one of my friends including myself has learned to ski/board there. As they progress you can look to the more "advanced" hills.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Correct me if I’m wrong, wife said nakiska is $10 for magic carpet and cop is $36. Either way I’d like to take the kids for a drive to the hill for their first time we may do lessons at cop. Our first year of sking will likely be nakiska since the kids won’t last long anyway.

^^I can confirm Nakiska is only $10 but no idea about COP. If youre down for a drive then head to nakiska, going on a weekday wont bad for the carpet area either as it wont be packed. Boxing day and jan 2 the carpet area was packed

My Ride
    Lariat

Has anyone skied the new west bowl expansion at Louise yet? I can't wait to get out there and check it out. Always looked to be some really cool terrain in there and now that it's in bounds i'm excited to see it.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Has anyone skied the new west bowl expansion at Louise yet? I can't wait to get out there and check it out. Always looked to be some really cool terrain in there and now that it's in bounds i'm excited to see it.
    I did yesterday and quite honestly I forgot/ didn't realize there was a new summit chair and lots of new terrain, quite frankly it was awesome and lots of powder leftover from the dump on the weekend. I did a number of runs down West Bowl Gully and also Enchanted Forest. I probably should have looked at a map before heading over there as I did not realize how much terrain is accessible from that chair now.

The only catch is that it's a long way back to the bottom and 3 chair lift rides back up to the top to do it again. Once they get the other chair lifts built, it will be great. (Based on a map that I just now looked at.)
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

I used to work/live at LL, had no idea West Bowl has been opened up. I've ridden it quite a bit over the years and there's a lot of awesome terrain there. The farther down the mountain you go past the bowl, there are some awesome steep chutes and cliff areas to play in, and after that you need to make the ski-out known as star wars (for the high speed tight tree section) that takes you back to in-bounds terrain, or you're in for a bad time.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Has anyone been to Whistler yet this season?

Thinking of staying in creekside but not sure if the gondola gets bunged up now with covid? Going mid week. Cheers

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Pretty quiet on the weekdays. No lineup at all coming from Creek into Big Red.

My god is Peak to Peak terrifying. Id rather skydive again than ride that thing over and over haha.

Name:  3C96B829-46A6-479A-9BD3-A2877919F4E2.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  68.9 KB

My Ride
    TRD Pro

This past weekend at Nakiska was the busiest I have ever seen a ski hill ever in my life. It was between a 30 and 40 min wait in line every single run. Oddly enought he runs didnt seem that busy, but F those lines. We left at 2:30 cause the kids were getting bored of standing in line and did 4 runs from 10-2. (including a snack break). Guessing because its the only 'sport' you can actually do these days... need kid hockey to start back up and whatever else was cancelled.
    Price wise its impossible to beat... but those lines are out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Pretty quiet on the weekdays. No lineup at all coming from Creek into Big Red.

My god is Peak to Peak terrifying. Id rather skydive again than ride that thing over and over haha.

Name:  3C96B829-46A6-479A-9BD3-A2877919F4E2.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  68.9 KB
    Peak to Peak is nuts hey. How were the conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This past weekend at Nakiska was the busiest I have ever seen a ski hill ever in my life. It was between a 30 and 40 min wait in line every single run. Oddly enought he runs didnt seem that busy, but F those lines. We left at 2:30 cause the kids were getting bored of standing in line and did 4 runs from 10-2. (including a snack break). Guessing because its the only 'sport' you can actually do these days... need kid hockey to start back up and whatever else was cancelled.
    Price wise its impossible to beat... but those lines are out of control.
    Glad we bailed sunday lol We got lucky twice with no major waits but we knew going into this year it was going to be long waits. The far right line at the silver chair was supposed to be for people willing to ride with others or small cohorts of 2 but the whole day i was there they were just letting that line do whatever, the singles or doubles in that line werent going up with others and there were many times where i saw families of 3-4 in there.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

The Dive was good last week. Poor vis yesterday so skipped it.

Dumping tomorrow at Louise.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Glad we bailed sunday lol We got lucky twice with no major waits but we knew going into this year it was going to be long waits. The far right line at the silver chair was supposed to be for people willing to ride with others or small cohorts of 2 but the whole day i was there they were just letting that line do whatever, the singles or doubles in that line werent going up with others and there were many times where i saw families of 3-4 in there.
    We stuck with the Olympic chair, as the line was a little shorter and the runs are a little longer.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast