Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 44 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Compusoft in Red Deer had a 6800 and 6800XT on the shelf when I was there a couple weeks ago. Don't remember pricing, but it wasn't outrageous.
    Just called, all gone.

My Ride
    TypeR

Apparently NE memx is the main store that also deals with online. So far it's been by far easiest way to get stuff. That being said I've been on a wait list for a evga ftw3080 since feb10. Apparently they haven't received anything in a while in terms of 3080. My friend has had a back order for a white 3080 strix since December lol
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    06 S2000

Yup, still on the waitlist from Jan. IIRC, the NE store _is_ the "online" location, as it's the original location (even though it's moved a few times).
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2017 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by scboss View Post
    Apparently NE memx is the main store that also deals with online. So far it's been by far easiest way to get stuff. That being said I've been on a wait list for a evga ftw3080 since feb10. Apparently they haven't received anything in a while in terms of 3080. My friend has had a back order for a white 3080 strix since December lol
    A buddy of mine was 35th on the list for the a white 3080 rog strix last year - he checked a couple of weeks ago and he's 31st. By far the rarest card.

Just catching up on my PC news for the week - I don't think Intel's new flagship CPU on their new architecture is getting the press coverage they wanted

Coles notes:

Same price as a 5900X with 4 less cores, 40% worse performance, and 25% more power consumption stock
    No gaming performance advantage over prior gen Intel or Ryzen 5000
    Draws over 290W if power caps are lifted
    Slower than Intel's own older 10900X in almost everything

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Just catching up on my PC news for the week - I don't think Intel's new flagship CPU on their new architecture is getting the press coverage they wanted

Coles notes:

Same price as a 5900X with 4 less cores, 40% worse performance, and 25% more power consumption stock
    No gaming performance advantage over prior gen Intel or Ryzen 5000
    Draws over 290W if power caps are lifted
    Slower than Intel's own older 10900X in almost everything
    There's also the 11700k that GN called a "Waste of Sand" lol. I haven't kept up with Intel news lately but it's kind of head scratching when in the Hardware Unboxed review he mentions that 12gen/10nm is right around the corner in fall/holiday 2021, doesn't make sense to me why you would rush this backport out then.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    There's also the 11700k that GN called a "Waste of Sand" lol. I haven't kept up with Intel news lately but it's kind of head scratching when in the Hardware Unboxed review he mentions that 12gen/10nm is right around the corner in fall/holiday 2021, doesn't make sense to me why you would rush this backport out then.
    Probably because 10nm has been right around the corner for half a decade? Majority of intel sales will always be to OEMs so even if this thing is a flop it still lets them sell it to partners who can brand it as 'now with 11th gen Intel blah blah BS'. The majority of the public doesn't have a clue but will see one desktop with a 10700k and one with a 11700k and go oo thats better.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Right, the 11700K was the one they bought a month before he review embargo lifted but since they bought it through a retail channel, Intel couldn't do anything about it.

Intel promised we would have 10nm desktop in 2015, and every few months gets caught with marketing slides full of erroneous data or cheating tests (i.e. using much worse GPUs in AMD machines for their internal gaming benchmark comparisons), so I think at this point nobody believes anything they say until it actually happens. On the plus side, they did get some new management so hopefully things are actually headed in the right direction by the next year or two as competition is good for the industry as a whole.

One reason why the 11th gen is so terrible is because it was a design originally destined for 10nm, but since they still can't get that working, they ported it back to 14nm and had to drop 2 cores in the process to make it fit on the die. The other reason is that brand new architectures are never fully optimized in their first iteration, so what you end up with is another CPU that nobody in their right mind would buy. To add insult to injury, Intel has priced them ~$200 above the closest competition who is already killing them everywhere, and also ~$200 above their own products from last year that still outperform it.

The only reason I can think of for what they're doing is that Ryzen 5000 is in such high demand right now that a lot of people can't get them, so Intel will get some sales from people who absolutely have to purchase something immediately. Even then though, they would be silly not to buy 10th gen Intel instead as it's better almost across the board.

As pheoxs mentioned, most of Intel's sales are to OEMs/SI's and end up sold in bulk to companies like Apple or Dell whose average customer base goes "wow it has a core i7!" and that's all they need to hear to seal the deal. The desktop enthusiast market is pretty small in comparison, despite it being the topic of most computer related online discussion.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-01-2021 at 01:23 PM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Another RTX 3070 data point for you. MSI Gaming X Trio with a mild OC

Did a small thing today

This is at stock clocks so I'm curious to see what it can do once OC'd

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Whelp I'm an idiot the 6800XT sucks for iRacing as AMD is incompatible with SMP technology, and seeing as I only use that PC for iRacing I now need to trade the 6800XT for a 3070 or preferably a 3080

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Whelp I'm an idiot the 6800XT sucks for iRacing as AMD is incompatible with SMP technology, and seeing as I only use that PC for iRacing I now need to trade the 6800XT for a 3070 or preferably a 3080
    which 6800xt do you have?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
    which 6800xt do you have?
    MSI Gaming X Trio

My Ride
    06 S2000

lmao you sold your 3070 for a 6800xt, and now you need a 3000 series anyways for iRacing?
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    lmao you sold your 3070 for a 6800xt, and now you need a 3000 series anyways for iRacing?
    Well I traded it, found someone that was willing to trade MSRP for MSRP. Didn't realize the importance of Nvidias SMP technology which obviously AMD doesn't have an answer for. I'm running triple 1440P's which is a lot of pixels to try to push especially when trying to make full use of 165Hz monitors.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I was on the 6800xt/6900xt hype train for a long time, but regardless of how much Mitsu insists the AMD is better, it's just not. Even paired with a Ryzen, the 3080 blows even the 6900xt, let alone the 6800xt, out of the water in most real-life gaming situations.
    Not to mention the lackluster launch they had in Canada. AMD is doing better, but nvidia is still king for now.

If I couldn't get my hands on a 30xx, I would happily take a 6xxx series AMD, but if I had the choice, I'd opt for a 30xx nvidia over the amd.
    My car sounds like shit.

What processor are you running?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by S-FLY View Post
    What processor are you running?
    A mildly OC'd 10600K, iRacing benefits most from single core performance afaik.

A mildly OC'd 10600K, iRacing benefits most from single core performance afaik.
    Darn, if you were running a Ryzen 5000 series, there's a performance advantage in some games. I have a GTX1080 that I'd trade with cash, but I'm assuming the performance won't be as good as the 6800xt.
    Also, let's race

My Ride
    rally pig

highly doubt it but don't think anyone here upgraded to Intel 11th gen right? lol

I've got an "extra" Zotac 3090 GPU I might consider parting with for the price on the receipt which is exactly 2049.00 + GST. Only reason I've been hanging on to it is in case one of my other 3090s takes a dump, and there isn't any available for an RMA replacement. If I decide to sell it, I'll post again in the thread with my email/ph# contact info.

Re the 11900k, I was going to upgrade my 10900k box (have 1, a 5900x and a 5950x system ATM), but decided to hold off on pre ordering and paying the full amount with MemEx based on the very poor previews and leaks. Pretty happy I did, as it turns out it really isn't any faster than the 10900k, maybe a couple percent here and there in some apps and mostly games, but that's it. Seriously, the 9900k vs the 10900 and 11900k, is pretty amusing. The 9900k has yet to really be surpassed by all that much when it comes to gaming. In Digital Combat Sim, my primary focus in terms of CPU/GPU performance, the 5950x does give enough of a performance increase while using VR with the G2 compared to the 9900k it replaced to justify the expense for me, plus the 5950x is a monster when it comes to applications and tasks, which admittedly isn't my wheelhouse, but it sure is for the missus, who has begun waging a campaign to claim the 5950x system as "hers".

Intel sure better wow everybody with Alder lake at the end of this year, or it's going to be in even bigger trouble. AMD continues to impress on the CPU side, now if they could just come out with a 3080 or 3090 killer, and make enough of the damn things (somewhat out of their control, yes) to support the market conditions, they would give Intel and nVidia a double kick in the balls apiece. And that'd be good times.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 04-09-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast