Quantcast
Ethanol free regular (87) octane fuel in Calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol free regular (87) octane fuel in Calgary?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Question Ethanol free regular (87) octane fuel in Calgary?

Has anyone fuelled at a Husky station recently? According to their website, apparently, Calgary's the only area that has ethanol-free 87 octane fuel (https://www.myhusky.ca/products-and-services/fuel). I don't remember seeing the pumps at Husky saying "no ethanol" for their regular fuel. Yes, I've already checked https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB but they're only listing Premium fuels as non-ethanol according to there.

I'm curious if there are other ethanol-free regular gasoline stations. I've been using premium to get ethanol-free (Shell V-power, Canadian Tire Premium, Costco Premium, and Co-Op Premium) in my 2UZ-FE Tundra; I've noticed that Shell V-power>CT>Coop=>Costco in terms of fuel economy. I know that the 2UZFE in the Tundra is technically designed to run on 87, but the few times I've run 87 from Shell, it was with ethanol and the fuel consumption was crazy.

Also looking at 87 non-ethanol as a viable option for the lawnmower; I've had to rebuild too many carburetors in the past, so I've been using 91 premium just to avoid the ethanol.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

<update> passed by a Husky which used to have 94 octane fuel, and both regular and midgrade both had ethanol. Perhaps there are Husky stations that didn't have 94 before would have 87 octane non-ethanol?

My Ride
    *The First*

I doubt it. Isn't there that "rule" that ___% of fuel sold needs to have ethanol? Or, has that been proven a myth?

I don't think a company could maintain that ratio if their biggest seller had zero ethanol.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I feel like a parrot here because I say it in every god damned thread about fuel, and then the inevitable bickering begins.

Producers need to sell average 5% ethanol. That doesn't mean gas stations do. Also Co-op WAS the only gas station in Calgary area that didn't have ethanol in their 87. I don't know if that's still true but the last time I phoned/emailed them about it a few years ago it was. Since Calgary Co-op has since changed food suppliers, they may have changed fuel as well. If they do have ethanol now, there has to be a sticker at the pump saying so.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel like a parrot here because I say it in every god damned thread about fuel, and then the inevitable bickering begins.

Producers need to sell average 5% ethanol. That doesn't mean gas stations do. Also Co-op WAS the only gas station in Calgary area that didn't have ethanol in their 87. I don't know if that's still true but the last time I phoned/emailed them about it a few years ago it was. Since Calgary Co-op has since changed food suppliers, they may have changed fuel as well. If they do have ethanol now, there has to be a sticker at the pump saying so.
    Thanks. Sorry if I've been unable to keep that straight. It doesn't sound familiar, but I tend to skim fuel threads because there is so much misinformation and dumb questions.
    It's possible that Co-Op switched fuel suppliers with their other changes, but I doubt it due to their large refinery in Regina.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Calgary coop does not have an ownership in the federated cooperatives Regina refinery. They are completely unrelated businesses, especially now that Calgary coop stopped buying groceries from federated cooperatives.

That being said, last time I was at North Hill coop gas bar, there was no ethanol sticker on the pump anywhere.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Thanks. Sorry if I've been unable to keep that straight. It doesn't sound familiar, but I tend to skim fuel threads because there is so much misinformation and dumb questions.
    Oh it's not just you. This comes up every couple of years since I joined. Then a bunch of people call me a liar and insist they know different, then I produce my latest email from co-op, then they still argue, rinse, repeat.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think you are a lair, but just in general and not about this specifically.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    He's basically Dirk The Daring.

Name:  Screenshot_20210417-202704_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  53.8 KB

My Ride

So you don't think I'm a full-time liar? Now I'm offended. Or is that a lie?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So you don't think I'm a full-time liar? Now I'm offended. Or is that a lie?
    Now you are thinking on my level.

My Ride

Now you are thinking on my level.
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't disagree.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

@Tik-Tok - I'm fully aware of the rule about the 5% average. Hence, I was surprised to see the statement on Husky's website about their 87 in Calgary not having ethanol.

If there is 87 without ethanol, I would like to track it down to see if there's any empirical evidence resulting in a difference in fuel economy strictly due to the grade of fuel, as the variability of ethanol would be eliminated and any increases should be as a result of the higher octane of the fuel.

Unfortunately, for most of the stations I frequent, I always see the "up to 10% ethanol" for the regular gasoline, hence, I just skip it and go to the premium fuels as the bump in fuel economy is often worth it for the increase of time & distance between refueling to offset the difference in cost.

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

It's possible that Co-Op switched fuel suppliers with their other changes, but I doubt it due to their large refinery in Regina.
    This CBC article mentioned that Calgary Co-Op would continue to buy fuel from FCL (https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5522789) but is a year old now.

I’ve noticed that if you look at the rack prices for Shell and Petroleum Canada neither of them show a price for e-10 in Calgary which would make me think that they both offer ethanol free 87 octane unless I’m missing something?

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/business/rack-prices
    https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/business-...k-pricing.html

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by JDMMAN View Post
    @Tik-Tok - I'm fully aware of the rule about the 5% average. Hence, I was surprised to see the statement on Husky's website about their 87 in Calgary not having ethanol.

If there is 87 without ethanol, I would like to track it down to see if there's any empirical evidence resulting in a difference in fuel economy strictly due to the grade of fuel, as the variability of ethanol would be eliminated and any increases should be as a result of the higher octane of the fuel.

Unfortunately, for most of the stations I frequent, I always see the "up to 10% ethanol" for the regular gasoline, hence, I just skip it and go to the premium fuels as the bump in fuel economy is often worth it for the increase of time & distance between refueling to offset the difference in cost.
    His argument supports yours. As long as the refineries are cranking out 5% ethanol overall, the retailers can do whatever they want. It still seems odd as Hell, to me, because 87 is the biggest seller and because Husky/Mohawk has always been horny for ethanol as a business differentiator.

Using premium fuel "because the extra mileage is worth it" is Marth because it's >20% more money now.
    *Unless you're assigning a value to your time for fewer fill-ups... Which I still think won't put you ahead.

His argument supports yours. As long as the refineries are cranking out 5% ethanol overall, the retailers can do whatever they want. It still seems odd as Hell, to me, because 87 is the biggest seller and because Husky/Mohawk has always been horny for ethanol as a business differentiator.

Using premium fuel "because the extra mileage is worth it" is Marth because it's >20% more money now.
    *Unless you're assigning a value to your time for fewer fill-ups... Which I still think won't put you ahead.
    Coop 91 is only 10c spread difference. Checked yesterday.

But still, essentially need a 8-10% mpg boost to pay off, doubt you'd see that.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Coop 91 is only 10c spread difference. Checked yesterday.

But still, essentially need a 8-10% mpg boost to pay off, doubt you'd see that.
    Are you sure about that? I go to three different ones regularly and their spread has been going up significantly over the years. Last week it was 21c difference on Macleod.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the split between 87 and 89?
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 04-18-2021 at 11:09 AM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Are you sure about that? I go to three different ones regularly and their spread has been going up significantly over the years. Last week it was 21c difference on Macleod.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the split between 87 and 89?
    Agree.
    I haven't seen 10¢ in over a year, even at Costco.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

It's quite possible for the stations that sold the 94 octane Husky/Mohawk (at least back when they did), it may have had significant ethanol content to allow them to have 87 octane non-ethanol?

As for fuel economy, the best I've got out of the 2UZFE was 13.3L/100km on Shell 91V power, next closest was CT Premium at 13.5L/100km. The best I could get on Shell regular was 16L/100km under the same driving conditions which is over 120km difference in range between the regular and Vpower. So for a 100L tank, even at the 20% price difference, the fuel economy gain is ~20.3%. These were calculated pump volume and distance travelled records and not relying on the fuel economy computer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think there's three different questions being answered simultaneously here. Luckily I know the answer to all three.
    1) will buying premium save me money? - No.
    2) if I can find it, will ethanol-free 87 save me money? Yes.
    3) should I be careful to use ethanol free fuel in my lawnmower and other power equipment? Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast