Quantcast
Get ready for the bailout - Air Transat merger with Air Canada cancelled - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Get ready for the bailout - Air Transat merger with Air Canada cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always took you for more of a Bear Grylls impersonator in that department.
    Please don't include me in your spank bank, thank you

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    Please don't include me in your spank bank, thank you
    Wouldn’t want to expose you to some kind of rape culture micro aggressions my dear altruistic fool.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Wouldn’t want to expose you to some kind of rape culture micro aggressions my dear altruistic fool.
    You spend more time thinking about woke-ness than any woke person I know. Methinks the snowflake doth protest too much?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I do my best to fit in with the kool kids klub

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    the substitute teacher suuucked
    Fuck I laughed at this. I'm out of reps for the day, maybe tomorrow.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Fuck I laughed at this. I'm out of reps for the day, maybe tomorrow.
    When it comes to cash and reps, theres no such thing as the thought is what counts

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    When it comes to cash and reps, theres no such thing as the thought is what counts
    Accurate
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    Got any other requests while I'm at it? Should I turn some rain into water?
    Finally! A task suited to your IQ.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-in-executive/

Unprofitable Air Canada gave its executives $20-million in “COVID-19 Pandemic Mitigation Bonuses,” plus other special stock awards designed to compensate them for the salary cuts they publicly announced during 2020.

The extra compensation - revealed in the airline’s proxy circular to shareholders - came as it negotiated a multibillion-dollar bailout with the Canadian government. The $5.9-billion federal rescue plan, announced in April, included limits on executive compensation going forward. During COVID-19, Air Canada also took $656-million from the federal government’s Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program in 2020, a larger number than any other company has publicly disclosed.
    Air Canada’s board explained the compensation decisions by saying the company’s senior executives “reacted urgently, decisively and skillfully to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the company,” taking measures that included reducing its staff by 20,000. “And with equal vigor, the leadership team played offense,” Air Canada said, including “industry-leading personal safety and sanitary measures” and investments in technology and aircraft.
    CEO Calin Rovinescu and deputy CEO Michael Rousseau waived 100 per cent of their salaries last April, May and June, and 50 per cent of their salaries for the remainder of 2020. The three other top executives whose compensation is disclosed took a 50-per-cent pay cut for three months, then 20 per cent for the remainder of the year. The cuts effectively reduced salaries for the five by $766,723 in total, including $490,000 for Mr. Rovinescu.
    However, on Dec. 31 - the last day of the 2020 pay cuts - Air Canada handed out special “stock appreciation units” to the affected executives, giving them “the opportunity to recuperate their foregone salary.”
    The board also explained its circular that it realized in the early days of the pandemic that the goals in its existing annual cash bonus program - including a heavy emphasis on profitability - “were no longer applicable nor pertinent,” so it scrapped the plan “early” in 2020. It was replaced by a new program based on pandemic goals of customer service, maintaining its liquidity, and cost-cutting.
    Air Canada says “management’s exceptional performance” resulted in a payout of $20-million in bonuses to management, including $1.84-million to the top five executives, compared with the potential bonus pool of $45-million from the scrapped program.
    The company also said it realized the pandemic’s big losses would eliminate the payouts for performance-based share units and stock options granted from 2017 to 2020 in its long-term incentive plan, so it decided to drop 2020′s results from the formula.
    “Having three years of performance-based [awards] not paying out ... could potentially create an important ‘retention’ issue thereby putting the organization at-risk at a time when we most need our key talents to ensure our survival and future recovery for the benefits of our shareholders,” the company explained.
    To offset that benefit to shareholders, Air Canada said, it canceled one-third to one-quarter of the awards for each year.
    All told, Air Canada reported total compensation for Mr. Rovinescu of $9.26-million last year, down from $12.87-million in 2019. The figure includes a salary of $910,005, down from $1.4-million in 2019, and a bonus of $723,000, down from just under $3.5-million in 2019. Air Canada valued Mr. Rovinescu’s share, option, and stock-appreciation awards at $6.66-million, down from $7.1-million in 2019.
    Air Canada says Mr. Rovinescu, who retired from the top job in February, 2021, would have received $7.7-million in stock awards in 2020 had the pandemic not occurred. Mr. Rousseau replaced Mr. Rovinescu as CEO on Feb. 15 of this year.
    The recuperative stock-appreciation units allow for a payout based on the increase in Air Canada’s share price from $22.90, the stock’s average price on the final trading days of 2020, to Dec. 31, 2022. If the stock falls below that level, there will be no payout.
    Mr. Rovinescu received 21,398 stock-appreciation units, which Air Canada estimated to be worth $168,396.
    Air Canada’s revenue fell by 70 per cent in 2020 and the flag carrier lost $4.6-billion as it eliminated 67 per cent of its seat capacity and laid off more than half its workforce. In a bid to reduce its daily cash expenses of $13-million a day, Air Canada shed 79 planes and cancelled orders for 22 aircraft. Air Canada also pulled out of several regional airports and suspended routes to smaller cities, blaming the pandemic and government travel restrictions.
    As part of the bailout deal reached in April, Ottawa provided $5.375-billion in repayable loans to Air Canada, including a $1.4-billion credit facility the airline can use to refund customers for flights cancelled because of the pandemic. Under the rescue package, Air Canada will not be able to use the money to buy back its own shares, and executive compensation will be capped at $1-million.
    Stock-ownership records filed with securities regulators show that on April 16, Air Canada took away tens of thousands of stock options and share awards it gave to executives on March 1 of this year.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

But but but I thought Air Canada was a corporation bordering on Sainthood. No way they would try and dodge the terms of their free cash from taxpayer deal.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by S-FLY View Post
    Meanwhile 20,000 people were laid off from Air Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...offs-1.5572596

My little yoga/fitness studio was able to directly employ two of them until we were continuously shut down as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

In good time you need to give executives and top management huge bonuses. In bad time, you need to give them huger bonuses. Otherwise, they might not do their jobs.

My Ride
    V8s

So, what's the proposed alternative? Stop paying the exec salaries/comp in order to retain a tiny fraction of those 20k jobs, only to lose them anyways when the company can't get a CEO to step in and volunteer 70-90 hours per week of their free time to run a company that size?

Don't get me wrong, bailouts of air canada are horse shit, full stop. I just don't like how so many discussions get shifted to "BuT THe CeO sTiLl goT TheiR BoNus!?!", which is generally a pretty ill-informed commentary on exec compensation.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m on the side of lock the doors and let them implode

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    So, what's the proposed alternative? Stop paying the exec salaries/comp in order to retain a tiny fraction of those 20k jobs, only to lose them anyways when the company can't get a CEO to step in and volunteer 70-90 hours per week of their free time to run a company that size?

Don't get me wrong, bailouts of air canada are horse shit, full stop. I just don't like how so many discussions get shifted to "BuT THe CeO sTiLl goT TheiR BoNus!?!", which is generally a pretty ill-informed commentary on exec compensation.
    Its moreso the optics.

"OMGZ COVIDZ! WE NEED THE HELLPPPP!!!! GOVERNMENT WHERE THE TAX DOLLARS!" - Proceeds to hand out $20mil in compensation to execs.

My Ride
    *The First*

I think I'm >90% agreeing with you, but when Exec's receive bonuses while a company is being run into the ground, I'm sure you can see how the shareholders are ready to call BS.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Executive compensation is for sure a more nuanced conversation than just the headlines and outraged poor people who are bad at math.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Its moreso the optics.

"OMGZ COVIDZ! WE NEED THE HELLPPPP!!!! GOVERNMENT WHERE THE TAX DOLLARS!" - Proceeds to hand out $20mil in compensation to execs.
    Don't get distracted by the scale. I would wager businesses of all sizes requested help from the government and the owners still paid themselves (or their management) salary of some type. Same shit, smaller (or bigger?) pile.

Don't get distracted by the scale. I would wager businesses of all sizes requested help from the government and the owners still paid themselves (or their management) salary of some type. Same shit, smaller (or bigger?) pile.
    I don't disagree, but how many bailouts has AC now received?

They also have $800+ of mine sitting in flight credit they refuse to refund me.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

If Air Canada and Bombardier failed the Country would cease to exist. It's simple economics.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast