Quantcast
Discuss cellphone plans - Page 42 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss cellphone plans

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Correct. In my case i have an extra $43 on top cuz of the phone financing, and you don't need the tablet add on if you don't have a data tablet.

If it's just two lines and BYOD it should in theory be $72 a month and 25GB each.
    Having this issue now. Trying to add tablet data but Rogers is telling me I can’t unless I change my plan to $80/month option on one of the lines? Any idea, how to add tablet without losing the plan? Other providers say they do not offer data plans for tablets unless you have a phone line.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

How much data / $ are you looking for?
    Could just get a new phone line and move the SIM over...
    Or I think Freedom/Shaw still does cheapish tablet plans standalone

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Having this issue now. Trying to add tablet data but Rogers is telling me I can’t unless I change my plan to $80/month option on one of the lines? Any idea, how to add tablet without losing the plan? Other providers say they do not offer data plans for tablets unless you have a phone line.
    Just looking at my bill, and my wife's line was set up as shareable while mine was not.

Mine:
    Name:  5B32BBAA-4D6C-436D-AD77-6405FDE97CA0.jpeg
Views: 359
Size:  404.9 KB

Wife:
    Name:  987CF362-ED1E-4B4D-A5C3-125D861E2366.jpeg
Views: 353
Size:  409.0 KB

I am pretty sure back when i was talking to Mark about the plans i made sure that they would set up one as shareable for this exact reason. I never actually added a tablet to it yet but i think it should be possible in theory.

If yours wasn't set up with shareable from the beginning it might be tough to do now. That's the catch with these too-good-to-be-true plans... they limit you and try to lock you in, and then when your needs change (I.e. want to add 5G or a tablet) you get screwed out of keeping your original plan.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think most providers have specific plans for this.

For example with Telus my plan was 75/mo for my phone, but there was another identical “connect” plan for 80 or 85 that allowed me to add an Apple Watch or tablet or rocket stick (do those still exist?) etc.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    This and that.

Yea Rogers has already confirmed that mine isn't shareable and they can't even offer anything else unless I change my plan to the $80 one.

The stand alone $10/month for 500MB data is useless.

Freedom does have a standalone plan for $15/month for 4GB but I am worried about coverage as I want something that will work at remote's court locations and it doesn't seem like Freedom will be a good choice for that (not sure).

Cityfone (wtf is this) has an option for $20/month for 4GB if I sign up a 2 year contract and I will get a shitty Android tablet that I am sure I won't even open. Against worried about the coverage aspect.

Telus has already stated that they don't have stand alone tablet plans if I don't have a phone line with them.

Will call Bell and Fido next - but not sure what other options I might have left.

I did e-mail that original Rogers Winback guy yesterday but no call or anything so far so not sure if they are still around.

Yea Rogers has already confirmed that mine isn't shareable and they can't even offer anything else unless I change my plan to the $80 one.

The stand alone $10/month for 500MB data is useless.

Freedom does have a standalone plan for $15/month for 4GB but I am worried about coverage as I want something that will work at remote's court locations and it doesn't seem like Freedom will be a good choice for that (not sure).

Cityfone (wtf is this) has an option for $20/month for 4GB if I sign up a 2 year contract and I will get a shitty Android tablet that I am sure I won't even open. Against worried about the coverage aspect.

Telus has already stated that they don't have stand alone tablet plans if I don't have a phone line with them.

Will call Bell and Fido next - but not sure what other options I might have left.

I did e-mail that original Rogers Winback guy yesterday but no call or anything so far so not sure if they are still around.
    How remote can courtrooms really be? If they are in Calgary or Edmonton you’ll be fine for reception pretty sure. Does freedom make you sign a contract? If not it I would probably give them a shot if I were you. Worst case scenario try them out for a month and if you really hate them then look for something else but at least you can get something going for cheap.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    How remote can courtrooms really be? If they are in Calgary or Edmonton you’ll be fine for reception pretty sure. Does freedom make you sign a contract? If not it I would probably give them a shot if I were you. Worst case scenario try them out for a month and if you really hate them then look for something else but at least you can get something going for cheap.
    Remote court locations such as Rocky Mountain House, Athabasca, Valleyview etc. Major locations like Calgary, Edmonton etc. are no problem and those courts even have wifi. But looking at Freedom chart online, it seems like it will only work at major areas which doesn't help. But it seems like I have no other choice.

Have confirmed now with Fido, Virgin and Bell also and Fido doesn't offer stand-alone plans and neither does Virgin. Bell does, but that $10 for 1GB data which is virtually pointless, so I am thinking I don't have a choice but to try Freedom out since it's not a contract.

Remote court locations such as Rocky Mountain House, Athabasca, Valleyview etc. Major locations like Calgary, Edmonton etc. are no problem and those courts even have wifi. But looking at Freedom chart online, it seems like it will only work at major areas which doesn't help. But it seems like I have no other choice.

Have confirmed now with Fido, Virgin and Bell also and Fido doesn't offer stand-alone plans and neither does Virgin. Bell does, but that $10 for 1GB data which is virtually pointless, so I am thinking I don't have a choice but to try Freedom out since it's not a contract.
    Ahh gotcha, didn’t think of small town court houses.

From looking at their coverage map it looks like it roams on partner networks in RMH for example so you might be ok. Worth a shot for $15 anyways. Might have a $35 connection fee too but I think that’s the best bet. Then just take Kenny’s advice from the other thread and try your luck at Fido stores any time you’re near one.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Public doesn't do tablet data-only plans, but Koodoo does. Koodoo has 4gb for $15 plan for BYOD. How much data do you actually use?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/06/10/b...-13-per-month/

Looks like the big three are basically giving away iPhone 12’s. Not a bad option at all tbh.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/06/10/b...-13-per-month/

Looks like the big three are basically giving away iPhone 12’s. Not a bad option at all tbh.
    These "return after 2 year" options might be good if they are under $20/month because if I can stack it on top of a $36/month value plan, it is cheaper than owning a phone assuming I'm going to keep it for less than 5 years. That way, every 2 years I'll have a new phone (assuming I can get a top of the line phone for under $20/month lease again).
    The only kicker is if they force you to go with a premium plan, which I don't think they do?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just got off of the phone with retentions.

Yea. You need to be on a premium plan. I was on a 10GB “unlimited” plan before. And I made a bit of a stink, so their solution was to get me on the 30GB unlimited plan which cost more and discounted it back to what I was paying before allowing me to lease a new phone for my wife.

End of the day, I’m still paying $60/mo per line plus the cost of the $12.7 phone lease which I wanted anyway. But now I have 30GB of data lol.

Basically my perspective with them was I want to buy a phone for an advertised price on their website. I don’t see why I should have to sewer my plan to buy a phone from them.
    Last edited by killramos; 06-10-2021 at 03:41 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'm jealous the big carriers have deals. Koodo says they'll sell a $1,340 S21 phone for 'only' $840 on a tab meanwhile I can go buy the phone outright from Samsung for $969. Rather silly to sign a contract to save almost nothing. If it was actually a savings that'd be nice but they just inflate the price to mark it down as a deal.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The hilarious part is I am the one who needs a phone but I want a Pro and they aren’t on the promo.

fact.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Just got off of the phone with retentions.

Yea. You need to be on a premium plan.
    Then not really that great of a deal. I rather keep my phone after 2 years even if it's not top of the line.
    With a decent 2 year finance plan (with a promo that doesn't need you go to on a premium plan), it ends up almost being the same thing except you get to keep the phone.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

From my perspective, it was a good deal.

For me it’s all about incremental from the status quo.

A $36/mo phone plan sounds awesome, notably mine is very targeted at the $60 mark as that’s what I can expense under corporate policies so all I would be doing is saving my boss some money.
    Last edited by killramos; 06-10-2021 at 03:52 PM.

fact.

I have never had trouble selling my old iPhones. They usually sell in about 10 minutes on Kijiji.

I expect I can get about $800 for my 12 when the time comes.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

....mine is very targeted at the $60 mark as that’s what I can expense under corporate policies so all I would be doing is saving my boss some money.
    ExtraSlowFinanceNewsletter approved.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

@shakalaka How about getting a Pre-paid T-Mobile data plan?

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet

Prices are in US, but they roam off Bell/Telus. Added bonus, you'll have data when you go to the US. You can buy sims on Amazon.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Rogers is back at it with their win back calls.

$45 / month for 25gig with $100 credit per line was what they were offering.

Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast