Quantcast
Unpopular careers with a shortage of workers - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular careers with a shortage of workers

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Rolling back wages to healthcare workers after a two-year pandemic is extra cunty. Albertans get the healthcare they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rolling back wages to healthcare workers after a two-year pandemic is extra cunty. Albertans get the healthcare they deserve.
    I don't disagree.
    But it's an example and a pet peeve.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    I mean if you're not getting a 10% bump you're basically taking a pay cut.
    So just keep jumping? It takes a very long time for inflation to subside.

Last time money printer went brrr it took about 25 years for inflation to hit nominal rates.

Too bad they have only one employer with a monopoly on their job. If there were other employers, they could go to them for higher pay...

Or as I likely expect, nurse wages would drop catastrophically as they are glorified baby sitters IMO (but don't tell them that).
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

What an excellent commentary on the benefits of exposing the healthcare sector to market forces.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    4x4

I'll take Alberta healthcare over whatever this is in bc - I used to complain about ration by wait-list in Alberta, I'd kill for Alberta quality of care now.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Is there a reason he can't start at 9? And by reason, I mean legitimate operational reasons he can't? If you can't pay more, might be a reasonable solution.
    We aren't looking for part time employees. Seriously, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it would absolutely kill moral on site to have one guy essentially show up when he feels like it. Planning around employees starting and leaving as they see fit would be a major pain in the ass too.
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 05-04-2022 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I'll take Alberta healthcare over whatever this is in bc - I used to complain about ration by wait-list in Alberta, I'd kill for Alberta quality of care now.
    Doctors are leaving BC because they can’t afford to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    We aren't looking for part time employees. Seriously, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it would absolutely kill moral on site to have one guy essentially show up when he feels like it. Planning around employees starting and leaving as they see fit would be a major pain in the ass too.
    Sounds like its a major pain in the ass not being able to find workers. Guess you better pay more?

I'm really not trying to be flippant, but you are a business owner (or in a management position). Business is business. It's not "when he feels like it", its he wants to start at 9am. His reasoning for wanting to does not actually factor into any of the decision of giving him that. And if its so popular, why not offer a later start time to all employees? I recently worked somewhere that the other guys LOVED 6am starts and 12 hour days (psychopaths if you ask me). It also paid a lot of money.

You're telling me that half your employees cant start at 7 (or8) and half can't start at 9? And then the one half can finish later for a full day? Literally EVERY employee needs to be there at the EXACT same time?

I dunno man, I've done a decent amount of construction, this is totally doable if you aren't a "well that's not the way we do things" type. I'm not saying it won't take work/effort, but you came here complaining about a problem. Doesn't seem you want to actually fix it.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Doctors are leaving BC because they can’t afford to live there.
    Doctors will soon be leaving Quebec because of language laws too. It's a win-win for everyone.

But but....I thought those places were healthcare promised lands and Alberta is the big mean anti healthcare province.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think all healthcare workers are selfish.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think all government workers are selfish.
    ftfy
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Ontario is worse. We actually have it pretty good.

Also labor is short and they are putting marginal qualified noobs into service.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-13-2022 at 10:18 AM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Sounds like its a major pain in the ass not being able to find workers. Guess you better pay more?

I'm really not trying to be flippant, but you are a business owner (or in a management position). Business is business. It's not "when he feels like it", its he wants to start at 9am. His reasoning for wanting to does not actually factor into any of the decision of giving him that. And if its so popular, why not offer a later start time to all employees? I recently worked somewhere that the other guys LOVED 6am starts and 12 hour days (psychopaths if you ask me). It also paid a lot of money.

You're telling me that half your employees cant start at 7 (or8) and half can't start at 9? And then the one half can finish later for a full day? Literally EVERY employee needs to be there at the EXACT same time?

I dunno man, I've done a decent amount of construction, this is totally doable if you aren't a "well that's not the way we do things" type. I'm not saying it won't take work/effort, but you came here complaining about a problem. Doesn't seem you want to actually fix it.
    Interesting take.

Side question - is “putting in the time” a thing anymore? I use to and still approach new work and new companies with a give me all the shit work, and I’ll do whatever it takes attitude.

Then, viola. This guy deserves a raise and a promotion, and maybe special treatment if he asked.

Shrug.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Is it a wise business decision to pay someone a high salary when their give a fuck meter is dialed to low?

Reality is the labor pool is terrible right now. Very few people willing to actually work hard and make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Side question - is “putting in the time” a thing anymore?
    Company X pays employee Y to do thing as stipulated in employment agreement. At this point, its up to Y to work as hard or as little as they want. If they follow the agreed upon employment parameters, then that's where it ends.

The company will have no problem firing/laying off/not giving the employee raises even if he has gone above and beyond, so again, that's a judgement call on the employees part of "working hard". Considering its expected to job hop to get raises nowadays, loyalty is IMO pointless, and with the liability of a company torpedoe'ing a reference when applying at another company, the downsides are minimal.

This also comes back to how employee metrics are very difficult to accurately acquire depending on the job. A assembled x widgets vs B is easy, but how many house wiring jobs a jman electrician got done in a year working on detached houses is difficult.

Is this a good thing? Fuck no. But employers have made this move and now employees have responded IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Is it a wise business decision to pay someone a high salary when their give a fuck meter is dialed to low?
    The labor pool being terrible sounds to me like a business isn't holding the reigns for throwing whatever low wage out there they want. Tough for me to be compassionate here. Again, I would (and did) have the same issues, but I took the emotion out of it. Labour is a cost just like any other.

Either you can afford it or you can't. Don't bitch about it like it's someone else's fault (well, it is the gov's fault, but that's an entirely different can o worms).
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Getting people who will even show up is hard enough. "working hard" is no longer the standard for entry level work.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    06 S2000

All I've learned from corporate life, is that good, hard work is repaid with more work, instead of more money.

There's no labour shortage, there's a salary shortage.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    All I've learned from corporate life, is that good, hard work is repaid with more work, instead of more money.
    It's a cake eating contest, and the winning prize is more cake. Good news for me though, my industry does pay more money to go along with more work.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast