Quantcast
YYC Direct Flights Shakeup 2023 - AC Out, WJ In - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: YYC Direct Flights Shakeup 2023 - AC Out, WJ In

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default YYC Direct Flights Shakeup 2023 - AC Out, WJ In

Lots of news about the landscape of direct flights from YYC recently. Westjet has announced it is greatly increasing the destinations served direct from Calgary, including basing it's entire DreamLiner Fleet here to serve several European Destinations such as Tokyo, Barcelona, Edinburgh are added to the current flights of Rome, Paris, Dublin, London Heathrow and London Gatwick.

Possibly unrelated, but Air Canada has cancelled many YYC regional direct flights to places such as Saskatoon, Regina, Yellowknife, Kamloops, Victoria and Nanaimo.

It certainly seems like anyone who travel out of YYC, WestJet is looking much more appealing for both regional and long-haul travel.

My Ride
    Silverado

Way fewer french people on board as a nice perk

My Ride
    rally pig

We have 2 trips and planning for a 3rd one this year and WJ is definitely the first place I check for direct flights from Calgary

doesn't hurt that both wife and I have the WJ RBC MC, WJD and travel vouchers.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

AC pulled out of Calgary because the yields here are way too low. I will say one thing they are very good at, is going where the money is. You have AC, WJ, Flair, Lynx, and Sunwing all competing for the same tiny market in Calgary. Better to let WestJet duke it out with the LCC's, while they go after the money elsewhere. You can still get to anywhere in the world on AC, it's just now through one of their hubs. Their overseas flights to Heathrow and Frankfurt will continue daily, year round.

Westjet has always operated on the point to point type of business model, which is great for passenger convenience, but it can often mean you're flying around half empty airplanes everywhere, which is bad for the bottom line. You're seeing a big return in the USA to the "hub and spoke" model of air travel, which was popular for decades due to it's lower operating costs. AC is also returning to this model, especially out of cities like Calgary and Edmonton, where the air travel market isn't as "juicy" as it is elsewhere. Remember, the majority of travelers don't care if there's a connection on their journey, as long as it's $12 cheaper.

In addition to that, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of backroom deal between AC and WJ. Recall, WJ pulled out of the east a few months ago, under the guise of "returning to their roots." Wouldn't be that far fetched to imagine that the two companies each agreed to stay in their respective backyards, in order to keep fares high. They have had a cozy relationship for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In addition to that, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of backroom deal between AC and WJ. Recall, WJ pulled out of the east a few months ago, under the guise of "returning to their roots." Wouldn't be that far fetched to imagine that the two companies each agreed to stay in their respective backyards, in order to keep fares high. They have had a cozy relationship for years.
    Wut. When I worked at WJA the hate for AC was unreal. Literally every fucking conversation went like this:

"What does AC do?"

"Let's do the opposite!"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    AC pulled out of Calgary because the yields here are way too low. I will say one thing they are very good at, is going where the money is. You have AC, WJ, Flair, Lynx, and Sunwing all competing for the same tiny market in Calgary. Better to let WestJet duke it out with the LCC's, while they go after the money elsewhere. You can still get to anywhere in the world on AC, it's just now through one of their hubs. Their overseas flights to Heathrow and Frankfurt will continue daily, year round.

Westjet has always operated on the point to point type of business model, which is great for passenger convenience, but it can often mean you're flying around half empty airplanes everywhere, which is bad for the bottom line. You're seeing a big return in the USA to the "hub and spoke" model of air travel, which was popular for decades due to it's lower operating costs. AC is also returning to this model, especially out of cities like Calgary and Edmonton, where the air travel market isn't as "juicy" as it is elsewhere. Remember, the majority of travelers don't care if there's a connection on their journey, as long as it's $12 cheaper.

Probably all true, sounds reasonable.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Probably all true, sounds reasonable.
    I'd agree, with the exception that AC is not good at anything. As evidenced by government bailouts for many years.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Wut. When I worked at WJA the hate for AC was unreal. Literally every fucking conversation went like this:

"What does AC do?"

"Let's do the opposite!"
    WJ is now privately owned. Bottom line is everything.

Fuck WJ tho, AC has a much better product at the end IMO.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    Fuck WJ tho, AC has a much better product at the end IMO.
    That's an interesting take. I know WJ is no longer the plucky fun airline of the 90's, but I thought they merely came down to AC level. Not that I fly much anymore.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That's an interesting take. I know WJ is no longer the plucky fun airline of the 90's, but I thought they merely came down to AC level. Not that I fly much anymore.
    I guess it depends on where you fly? To 80% of the world you can only do AC. AC has better planes than those oldass 737NG from WJ. Sure they have got some 787 now but AC has had them for much longer. Aeroplan > WJ dollar BS that charges you more to use WJ $.

If you're flying NA then who cares, max trip time is like 4-5 hours.

Fuck AC.

I remember the last flight I was able to take on Canadian before it was shut down (in 2000) and wondered why TF did we have to lose THAT airline instead of Air Canada. Air Canada has been shit for a long long time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I totally agree on routes where WJ doesn't fly, AC is better.

I tried booking a westjet vacation over the last week or two and every nice resort I wanted to go to would show its available but then youd book and it wasnt available any longer. Eventually decided it was no longer worth the hassle trying to give west jet business. Guess westjets website sucks for booking a last minute vacation.

Ended up spending way too much money flying air canada for our upcoming trip.

Surprisingly a/c flight times to Jamaica were better than the direct flights from Calgary.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post

"What does AC do?"

"Let's do the opposite!"
    Wasn’t that before WJ was owned by Onex, and about 3 CEO’s ago? It’s all about the bottom line now.
    Last edited by Maxx Mazda; 01-12-2023 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

I guess it depends on where you fly? To 80% of the world you can only do AC. AC has better planes than those oldass 737NG from WJ. Sure they have got some 787 now but AC has had them for much longer. Aeroplan > WJ dollar BS that charges you more to use WJ $.

If you're flying NA then who cares, max trip time is like 4-5 hours.
    Yeah the WJ planes are feeling really old. AC's domestic flights with Max 8's and A220's are pretty nice. WJ might have been better 10-15 years ago but right now I prefer flying AC.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

must depend on the route. My WJ Halifax flight was max plane. don't recall what I flew to vegas, but then again, I don't recall much about that trip, good times.
    My Mexico trip is scheduled to be a dreamliner, which is a surprise for that route.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

last time i took an AC flight i got told off 3x by the stewardess for having headphones on, even before the plane was fully boarded. WJ they just leave you the F alone.

My Ride

I dont understand the hate on AC, when WS is the same shit.

People make such a big deal with the 787, that plane has been out for 10+ years. Try flying in a A350 / A220 and you'll never look back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    last time i took an AC flight i got told off 3x by the stewardess for having headphones on, even before the plane was fully boarded. WJ they just leave you the F alone.
    you mean flight attendance not doing their job? "Transport Canada regulations prevent the wearing of earbud-type headsets during taxi, takeoff and landing."

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

TIL while a plane is boarding it counts as taxiing.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    I dont understand the hate on AC, when WS is the same shit.

People make such a big deal with the 787, that plane has been out for 10+ years. Try flying in a A350 / A220 and you'll never look back.

- - - Updated - - -

you mean flight attendance not doing their job? "Transport Canada regulations prevent the wearing of earbud-type headsets during taxi, takeoff and landing."
    Probably not even an AC flight. I bet it was Jazz. That rule has since changed anyways, that as long as they’re connected to onboard IFE it’s allowed, since it would mute in an emergency.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast