Quantcast
School me on being a Dad - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 92 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on being a Dad

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

+1 on the light weight infant seat (went with the nuna pipa) & daiper pail.

We got a Thule jogger (urban glide) and despite it being pretty huge its been amazing for snow/rough terrain. Totally worth the money.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure this is an experience thing, and it always goes without saying that my suggestion was on the assumption they would not be left unattended and placement is key. I fail to see how its any different than a lobster chair. Keep stuff far enough away to not grab, and don't put them near an edge. I place mine on a big island. A little common sense is reasonable, no reason to bubble wrap
    Totally.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210216-183209_Firefox.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  62.6 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    6 months in, so far so good.

only advice i can give is limit how much pop they get, we set that at 1 a day(usually diet too). and keep an eye on ipad usage, we avg about 4 hours per day (this doesn't include tv time).

Other wise have fun! take it all in, they grow up so fast.
    You should try giving them Red Bull. I mean not much more than half a can (I'm not a monster!!)
    Their face really lights up when they drink that while in a Bumbo on the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Do not set your kid on a counter in a Bumbo seat.
    Of course not, you put them in your coffee table in a Bumbo seat.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I splurged on a Nanit camera. Maybe a bit overkill but the quality is great, we make use of the white noise machine built in every night, the night light is also nice built in all in a solid app with great background audio support.

We use the “breathing monitor” features built in which helps my wife sleep at night.

No ragrets.
    Second this, the Nanit is great camera and app. lots of nice data too, overall way better than the POS Motorola camera thing we used for our first.

An update on my post in this thread from about a month ago... we enlisted Lisa Gelinas from the Mama Coach to help us with sleep training on our 5 month old. She was great. We did a modified cry it out (CIO) method in which we let her cry at night until she fell asleep but went in to check on her at set intervals, progressively lengthening them over time. The first week was rocky, not gonna lie, but now a few weeks out we got exactly the results we wanted, she is now sleeping through the night 10-12 hours waking up once midway or not at all to feed. Daytime naps are in the 3-4 hrs range total, no sweat. Totally different baby now, way happier and easier to manage. We've been freed from the shackles of sleep deprivation and constant frustration. Life is better now, it's a huge milestone step for them/us.

I wish the OP a well rested baby that is capable of sleep. If things are going off the rails 3-4 months in, don't be afraid to start tinkering, but be consistent. Read lots of books, don't be afraid to ask for help. CIO methods and their cousins are powerful tools, yes the emotional investment is perhaps more taxing, but remember you are trying to improve life for them (with sleep) and you as parents will reap the benefits.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My wife swears by “taking cara babies” video courses which has helped a lot with our daughter sleeping and isn’t terribly expensive.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V167

My wife swears by “taking cara babies” video courses which has helped a lot with our daughter sleeping and isn’t terribly expensive.
    We also used these videos. They were very helpful. We did hire a sleep coach/consultant to further guide us through the process of sleep training. This helped us get sleep/wake times down to the minute.

Our boy just turned 1 last week. The sleep deprivation is no longer an issue. I am drained at the end of the day just trying to keep up with him.

Lots of sound advice in this thread. So many resources out there for moms, very few for dads. This kind of thread is great.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

On the subject of teeth, every kid is different, but DO NOT TRUST YOUR KID TO BRUSH THEIR OWN TEETH. Mine was doing really well brushing her own under supervision, so we figured we could trust her to do her own nightly routine. Due to Covid we avoided the dentist most of age 5. Then took her last January because a tooth was bugging her, and holy fuck. 5 major cavities on her molars that kids keeps until 10-12yo, so she had to have one pulled completely and 4 got silver caps.

Genetics is part of it, as my family has shitty teeth. I've brushed twice a day my entire life, and still have a crap ton of cavities, along with multiple other tooth issues. I won't even go into what some of my cousins had done.

But yeah, now I'm back to brushing her teeth for her because I don't want her to go through what I've had to.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    On the subject of teeth, every kid is different, but DO NOT TRUST YOUR KID TO BRUSH THEIR OWN TEETH. Mine was doing really well brushing her own under supervision, so we figured we could trust her to do her own nightly routine. Due to Covid we avoided the dentist most of age 5. Then took her last January because a tooth was bugging her, and holy fuck. 5 major cavities on her molars that kids keeps until 10-12yo, so she had to have one pulled completely and 4 got silver caps.

Genetics is part of it, as my family has shitty teeth. I've brushed twice a day my entire life, and still have a crap ton of cavities, along with multiple other tooth issues. I won't even go into what some of my cousins had done.

But yeah, now I'm back to brushing her teeth for her because I don't want her to go through what I've had to.
    Brutal, our kid had a fall, and messed up his bottom 2 front baby teeth. This is going to be fun to deal with in the long run, they had to remove them. Hopefully it won't screw up his speech development too much. Then again I was missing 2 teeth from both my top and bottom front teeth when I was a kid. They rotted away due to milk or something and had to be pulled.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Totally.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210216-183209_Firefox.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  62.6 KB

- - - Updated - - -

You should try giving them Red Bull. I mean not much more than half a can (I'm not a monster!!)
    Their face really lights up when they drink that while in a Bumbo on the counter.
    I'm sure there is some real quality parenting out there, and I'm sure a factor in these was leaving children unattended or using the seat as a means of "child care". Be cautious, its fine. All of the lowest common denominator warnings and product recalls are just that. Don't be the lowest common denominator.

And, FWIW, the number of injuries vs. units sold in your graphic is infinitesimal value. Better yet, don't let your kid sleep in a crib, those things are death traps. Keep them awake at all times

https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/pdf...21313FINAL.pdf
    Last edited by TurboMedic; 02-17-2021 at 12:11 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

I guess we got lucky, ours has been sleeping through the night since he was about 5 weeks

We must be bad parents by not waking him exactly every 3 hours to feed him and only feeding him when he's hungry

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    I'm sure there is some real quality parenting out there, and I'm sure a factor in these was leaving children unattended or using the seat as a means of "child care". Be cautious, its fine. All of the lowest common denominator warnings and product recalls are just that. Don't be the lowest common denominator.

And, FWIW, the number of injuries vs. units sold in your graphic is infinitesimal value. Better yet, don't let your kid sleep in a crib, those things are death traps. Keep them awake at all times

https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/pdf...21313FINAL.pdf
    You really want to keep arguing about what a great idea it is to perch children on a counter that's >3' high with a hard floor, below? Ok.
    I've smoked a cigarette and I didn't die of cancer, therefore it's fine. I shoplifted a few chocolate bars and didn't get caught, so that's fine. I'll start promoting what good ideas those are.
    I don't drive when I'm so tired that I can barely see, but people will be forced to parent in that state. So, why take a small probability risk on something that can have a catastrophic consequence when you're potentially in that state?
    PS - I've had my kid roll off a change table and onto the carpet. It was the damnedest thing. She couldn't do it the week before and then she did it. Almost like they develop and change at alarming rates. 33" down to carpet and screams that will haunt me until I die (even though she was not injured, at all).

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    I guess we got lucky, ours has been sleeping through the night since he was about 5 weeks

We must be bad parents by not waking him exactly every 3 hours to feed him and only feeding him when he's hungry
    Yes you're lucky. We did the same, but it was over two years. Night terrors are a bitch.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's super weird seeing turbo medic arguing this side.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    We also used these videos. They were very helpful. We did hire a sleep coach/consultant to further guide us through the process of sleep training. This helped us get sleep/wake times down to the minute.

Our boy just turned 1 last week. The sleep deprivation is no longer an issue. I am drained at the end of the day just trying to keep up with him.

Lots of sound advice in this thread. So many resources out there for moms, very few for dads. This kind of thread is great.
    Sleep coaches? I had no idea that was a thing!

Going to be reading this thread in detail... expecting our first at the end of July.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

most kids sleep fine. Some don't. If yours doesn't, don't fuck around, get help. Same as a lot of things.

And in terms of legit fatherhood advice, the #1 most important thing you can do for your children and your family is to be there, and be truly present. Work less if you can, unplug from the email/phone, and be open to spending your time with the kids even when you aren't "accomplishing" something. That's the most important time of all.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Sleep coaches? I had no idea that was a thing!

Going to be reading this thread in detail... expecting our first at the end of July.
    Congrats dude!

Re sleep trainer, its a huge stress reliever. The lady we hired was recommended by multiple colleagues. She help setup a sleep training program which we followed, and then was available on by phone or e-mail follow up to see how the bed time went. She could then suggest tweaks to the routine accordingly.

My Ride
    Lariat

+1 for hiring a sleep trainer/expert if your kid does not sleep.

With my first we eventually broke down and hired a sleep trainer when he was 11 months old. Best $350 we have ever spent. He went from sleeping for 2 hours at a time and needing to nurse multiple times during the night to fall back asleep, to sleeping from 730pm to 730am and rarely waking up throughout the night within the first week of implementing the plan. It was amazing.

With my second, we started to sleep train him as soon as he was about 4 months old and he has slept through the night consistently from that point on.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    It's super weird seeing turbo medic arguing this side.
    Because I believe strongly in personal accountability and common sense, over absurd things like warning labels and bubble wrapping children. How about those "keep away from fire" warnings on kids clothing. You know something happened to necessitate that one.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    +1 for hiring a sleep trainer/expert if your kid does not sleep.

With my first we eventually broke down and hired a sleep trainer when he was 11 months old. Best $350 we have ever spent. He went from sleeping for 2 hours at a time and needing to nurse multiple times during the night to fall back asleep, to sleeping from 730pm to 730am and rarely waking up throughout the night within the first week of implementing the plan. It was amazing.

With my second, we started to sleep train him as soon as he was about 4 months old and he has slept through the night consistently from that point on.
    Agree with sleep training! For us, sleep training happened at 4 months and it went amazing. We did it from a book called "the happy sleeper", and it took all of 1 night and he's been great since then. Routine was huge, weaning a soother was huge, and empowering him to self soothe helped him sleep through the night with nearly no issues. I never understand why people don't sleep train, I have friends that don't and I'm all feeling rested over here

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    +1 on the light weight infant seat (went with the nuna pipa) & daiper pail.

We got a Thule jogger (urban glide) and despite it being pretty huge its been amazing for snow/rough terrain. Totally worth the money.
    If anyone needs / wants a jogging stroller - my second kid has finally grown out of ours recently. Fire me a PM.
    Its an older Instep (run around) Jogging stroller with hand brake. Paid like $100 for it used....free for a beyonder. Great condition, and got me thru 6 years of Ironman training and running sessions with my kid in tow. haha (edit: spoken for already)
    Last edited by CLiVE; 02-18-2021 at 02:35 PM.

Page 9 of 92 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast