Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Brentwood Remodel! Follow Along Our Journey

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Proposed New Layout

Attachment 89207
    Is there a reason why the back mudroom is so big?
    Consider moving laundry upstairs?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Is there a reason why the back mudroom is so big?
    Consider moving laundry upstairs?
    Might be worth while to do rough ins for washer/dryer there for future potential. Or add a pantry in half of it.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Might be worth while to do rough ins for washer/dryer there for future potential. Or add a pantry in half of it.

We actually originally had main floor laundry built into the original design, however, knowing ourselves when it comes to laundry, figured it would be best in the basement.
    Main floor is going to be a high traffic area, with three kids, who will eventually be teenagers doing their own laundry, so figured tuck it in the basement, and if it gets a little out of hand, in terms of laundry piling up, it isn't an eye sore every time you come in the house.

Reason mudroom is so big is we are planning to build 5 individual lockers, for my wife and I, and the three kids.
    The design/build firm wanted to charge a ton for this, so a friend of mine who is a finishing carpenter is going to come in after and build us custom locker/bench area in that space.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That big mudroom has room for an upright freezer, a second beer fridge, other pantry storage or whatever. Thats awesome.

Edit, lockers are also awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

[QUOTE=dezmarez;4844915who will eventually be teenagers[/QUOTE]
    So I'm looking at the front entrance.
    When you have teenagers and their friends come over I would assume they are coming through the front door. Doesn't look like you have plans to keep the basement slider.

When the friends come over there should be some sort of landing spot for shoes and jackets. Looks like the only coat closet is upstairs.
    I think you wanna plan around where shoes will go, and where jackets will go when the kids and friends are hanging out (presumably downstairs).

This seems to be a general problem with Bi-levels that the front door isn't really friendly for more than 3 pairs of shoes. It may be worthwhile to re-evaluate cutting into the basement living room there for a small entry/mudroom.

Also sorry if I'm sounding like a brat ragging on your house. Just giving some insight on potential flaws I see in how you use the space.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Bi-levels have always been my least favourite type of house but your plans look great! Good luck
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    So I'm looking at the front entrance.
    When you have teenagers and their friends come over I would assume they are coming through the front door. Doesn't look like you have plans to keep the basement slider.

When the friends come over there should be some sort of landing spot for shoes and jackets. Looks like the only coat closet is upstairs.
    I think you wanna plan around where shoes will go, and where jackets will go when the kids and friends are hanging out (presumably downstairs).

This seems to be a general problem with Bi-levels that the front door isn't really friendly for more than 3 pairs of shoes. It may be worthwhile to re-evaluate cutting into the basement living room there for a small entry/mudroom.

Also sorry if I'm sounding like a brat ragging on your house. Just giving some insight on potential flaws I see in how you use the space.
    It’s hilarious you point that out. It’s legit one of the items we sent back to the contractor. Not quite a full mudroom but a little built out that would be floor level at the landing. We would them do a couple shelves to store shoes, with a couple sets of hooks above it for costs of guests.

Name:  4E492B84-459E-4BC1-B1F8-A148085309EE.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  41.6 KB

Something simple like this, but with a built in shoe shelf.

Also, no need what so ever to apologize. Part of posting is to get feedback/opinions/information. Everyone has thoughts and I’m a firm believer in the more information the better.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    Bi-levels have always been my least favourite type of house but your plans look great! Good luck
    Honestly, I felt the same way in terms of the bi-level. In terms of having limited space/design options when it came to the remodel. But I think with the addition it changes things completely so it won’t feel quite like a traditional bi level.

Curious, what specifically about a bi-level don’t you like?

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Not a fan of the front door opening to a set of stairs and like you eluded to there was only ever one design for the upstairs. The addition however changes the feel completely. What’s the timeline to have everything finished?

Also congrats on the third child! We are having a surprise 3rd in July
    Last edited by thinmyster; 01-28-2020 at 06:19 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Have you considered finishing off a laundry room area in the basement separate from the utility room? Looks like you'll have plenty of space for some more cabinets/storage and a linen closet for the basement. I'm a firm believer that more storage is always a good thing, especially after a costco run

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Curious if you considered a 3 bed layout on the main? I know when were were looking last year 90% of bungalows were the 2 bed on the main layout (we were looking for 3 if possible). Might be worthwhile from a resale prespective (if that ever comes down the road) since its fairly rare. I do understand why most places i've seen that were built in the 50s-70s are 2 bed since if you want to do a 3 bed you either eat into the master ensuite or closet space.
    Last edited by A2VR6; 01-28-2020 at 10:50 AM.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Sweet, i like following other peoples projects. I reno'd my main floor when i bought my house, finally getting to the undeveloped basement in the spring.

My Ride

Loving the interest so far. Will be happy to share along the way, and detail about the process.

We just signed the official construction contract this morning and things are going to start tomorrow!

During our inspection phase, we found that their was asbestos on the main floor, so we are going to have to get that abated. ($11,500 later)

So, order of Operations
    - Clean demo to start this week (mostly the basement)
    - Followed by Asbestos Abatement
    - Timeline for this is about 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    Not a fan of the front door opening to a set of stairs and like you eluded to there was only ever one design for the upstairs. The addition however changes the feel completely. What’s the timeline to have everything finished?

Also congrats on the third child! We are having a surprise 3rd in July
    They have given us a 6 month time frame. So, we will likely be taking occupancy at the beginning of August.

Congrats to you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by andyg16 View Post
    Have you considered finishing off a laundry room area in the basement separate from the utility room? Looks like you'll have plenty of space for some more cabinets/storage and a linen closet for the basement. I'm a firm believer that more storage is always a good thing, especially after a costco run
    Haha, Yes we are actually creating a separate door that will block off the utility room from the laundry area. There will be a ton of storage space past the furnace/hot water tank for shelving and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    Curious if you considered a 3 bed layout on the main? I know when were were looking last year 90% of bungalows were the 2 bed on the main layout (we were looking for 3 if possible). Might be worthwhile from a resale prespective (if that ever comes down the road) since its fairly rare. I do understand why most places i've seen that were built in the 50s-70s are 2 bed since if you want to do a 3 bed you either eat into the master ensuite or closet space.
    The current layout now actually has it as a 3 bedroom up and 2 bedroom down. But the bedroom sizes are quite small, and there is only one bathroom on the main floor.

Based on our family needs, we felt it was better to convert the one bedroom into an additional bathroom/more closet space for the master, and have an oversize additional bedroom.

From a resale standpoint, we anticipate living here for 20+ years, so that is way back in our mind.

Hopefully down the road, if we do plan to sell it, this type of home would appeal to a more mature family, with teenage children, given how each bedroom is a decent size with a mini walk in closet, and it would actually be more appealing.

Only time will tell I guess!

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Good looking place! Remember to Cat6 all over to avoid a future post.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Good looking place! Remember to Cat6 all over to avoid a future post.
    Yes this x100. A single Cat6 to every room is a minimum these days, and anywhere you intend to have a desktop computer, home theater, or media rack, put in 2x Cat6 to that location. Even if you just leave them unterminated behind a blank plate, run the wires.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Really cool project! Look forward to following. What would the budget be for a remodel of this level, specially the add on? Are banks fairly open to financing some of the construction?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yes this x100. A single Cat6 to every room is a minimum these days, and anywhere you intend to have a desktop computer, home theater, or media rack, put in 2x Cat6 to that location. Even if you just leave them unterminated behind a blank plate, run the wires.
    I would place one on the ceiling of a central closet on each floor in case you get some wireless extenders in the future. Looks a lot cleaner when it's hidden. And two out to the garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Rarasaurus View Post
    Really cool project! Look forward to following. What would the budget be for a remodel of this level, specially the add on? Are banks fairly open to financing some of the construction?
    Great question. So I’m not your typical beyond member and did require financing for this project. Which proved to be challenging.
    I’ve been in banking for 14 years, and even with my own institution they didn’t want to touch this project. (They basically what you to prepay for a large portion of funds and receive reimbursement after the fact)

We’ve obtained a construction loan through True North, which has actually been a great experience so far. We won’t need their financing until we are much later in the project, so technically haven’t funded anything through them yet.

Once the project is complete, I’ll HELOC the property and pay out the construction loan.

We received a number of quotes and found the amount varies quite a bit depending on the finishes etc.

However, we essentially had quotes ranging from $250k to $400k. We had planned to complete the addition so didn’t price out a separate quote for this. However, I would say it added minimum $110k to the overall price.

The nice thing about the 430sq foot addition into the rear set back. Only a Building Permit is required as opposed to a Development permit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I would place one on the ceiling of a central closet on each floor in case you get some wireless extenders in the future. Looks a lot cleaner when it's hidden. And two out to the garage.
    Two to the garage is a good call. Always want MOAR network cables.

My Ride

Just a few sketches of what we anticipate the new addition looking like.

Name:  Brentwood Exterior Concept 1.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  Brentwood Exterior Concept 2.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  Brentwood Sketch 1.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  108.7 KB

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast