Demise of Infiniti / Nissan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Demise of Infiniti / Nissan

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Demise of Infiniti / Nissan

Saw this thread on CP talking about the demise of Nissan / Infiniti

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=173364

Figured we might get a better discussion here based on membership.

My favourite quote from that thread: Nissan is just Japan's Chrysler

My Ride
    Bicycle

Arrest of Ghosn means the Japanese now want to go at it alone.

Ghosn cost cutting is ruining Nissan and especially for Infiniti. None of their product is inspiring or competitive any more. Infotainment for both brand is years behind others.

Now with internal political/ownership issues, I am not sure they will survive for long. Especially everyone is getting ready for EVs, it's going to be tough if Nissan can actually divorce from Renault.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

People said the same thing about Toyota. Boring products, not state of the art. You know what? Only we give a fuck about that shit. The buying public does not care whatsoever. They want a car that's cheap, durable, and reliable. Nissan has done a great job in making bland products. Infiniti isn't hitting all the marks there, but they got the cheap part right. I don't see their demise at all. Sales in 2018 was flat, but it was flat for everyone.

Although with Ghosn's departure, I don't know if Nissan has what it takes to climb up in market share.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Exactly.
    They make most of their money on selling Nissan Rogue, Altima and Maxima. Not on the 5 guys on here who own GTR's.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People said the same thing about Toyota. Boring products, not state of the art. You know what? Only we give a fuck about that shit. The buying public does not care whatsoever. They want a car that's cheap, durable, and reliable. Nissan has done a great job in making bland products. Infiniti isn't hitting all the marks there, but they got the cheap part right. I don't see their demise at all. Sales in 2018 was flat, but it was flat for everyone.

Although with Ghosn's departure, I don't know if Nissan has what it takes to climb up in market share.
    Agree. This reminds me of the best episode of Top Gear, ever where they have that French breakfast meeting at Peugeot and actively decide to start making terrible cars. Sales went through the roof.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

You know what? Only we give a fuck about that shit. The buying public does not care whatsoever. They want a car that's cheap, durable, and reliable.
    You nailed it there. Even with myself, my 15 Tacoma hit 100k this winter so we were going to send it down to one of the crew and get me a new one and I thought, why? It's spartan and basic and I've spent 0 dollars on it over 4 years so fuck it, I'll put another 100 on it and just fix it as necessary which judging by a full checkout and fluid change will be very little in the foreseeable future.

One of these days I'd still like a 911 Turbo but other than that, durable and plain is fine for me too.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Skimmed the CP thread, and yea, shitting on old interior tech. I hated it, but honestly it's simple and most people will get it. It works reliably, just no bells and whistles. If you look at the JD powers IQS rankings, Nissan is way up there because of their old tech. Majority of the initial quality complains are from the damn infotainment system that's overly complicated haha.

You have a guy talking about his 2009 Maxima or whatever giving it a A rating for tech and everyone shitting on him because it doesn't have carplay. So few ppl care about that stuff in the grand scheme of things.

This is the one big thing, probably biggest thing that I learned and really blew me away in my time as an auto blogger/wannabe journalist. I totally look at cars differently now, from my perspective, and from the average joe perspective.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    You nailed it there. Even with myself, my 15 Tacoma hit 100k this winter so we were going to send it down to one of the crew and get me a new one and I thought, why? It's spartan and basic and I've spent 0 dollars on it over 4 years so fuck it, I'll put another 100 on it and just fix it as necessary which judging by a full checkout and fluid change will be very little in the foreseeable future.
    Hell, my 2014 tacoma doesnt even have a outside thermometer (yeah..really)... coming up to 136k service, zero issues so far. Can't complain in the least

However you missed a big one. People want something fuel efficient nowadays. Toyota excels at this, where Nissan completely shits the bed. The only cars of theirs that get reasonable gas mileage for todays day and age, are the ones that are extremely underpowered.

And I would venture to say that people DO care about cars not being boring. That is why Toyota made an official announcement that they were going to stop making boring cars. I imagine it is starting to affect their sales numbers.

As for reliability, they certainly aren't up to par in that aspect if it's the only thing they have going for them.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I definitely get selection paralysis because I've made a coupe of threads for vehicles like A5, Q50S, G37 and it's really interesting the diverse opinions I get.

Ultimately, people should get whatever they want and they have to recognize that people give opinions relative to their past experiences. My first car was a 2007 Civic, then I moved to a 2012 Genesis Coupe, and back to a 2010 Civic. To me, a Q50S is an amazing car but someone who's afforded luxury vehicles for a long time would just see the Q50S as another choice in the lineup. They'll be able to pick apart things they like, focus on things they don't like, or overall just have their opinions and preferences on what makes a car suitable for themselves.

I think that's pretty much how it goes with car review articles as well. Nevermind the potential bias and sponsorship from X manufacturer but these guys drive anywhere from $15k cars to $150k cars so perspective is not always consistent.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    However you missed a big one. People want something fuel efficient nowadays. Toyota excels at this, where Nissan completely shits the bed. The only cars of theirs that get reasonable gas mileage for todays day and age, are the ones that are extremely underpowered.
    Disagree. Only a small # people in NA care about fuel efficiency. For those that do, sure, Prius, and Tesla. In EU that's a totally different story. Our fuel efficiency is completely driven by regulatory standards, not the desire for fuel efficiency from the general buying public.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    And I would venture to say that people DO care about cars not being boring. That is why Toyota made an official announcement that they were going to stop making boring cars. I imagine it is starting to affect their sales numbers.
    You grow being boring. For car people like us, Toyota is not stopping making boring cars. They're merely pretending not to be boring, like with the Camry. Looks fucking exciting, but yup, still drives like a Camry underneath.

Disagree. Only a small # people in NA care about fuel efficiency. For those that do, sure, Prius, and Tesla. In EU that's a totally different story. Our fuel efficiency is completely driven by regulatory standards, not the desire for fuel efficiency from the general buying public.

You grow being boring. For car people like us, Toyota is not stopping making boring cars. They're merely pretending not to be boring, like with the Camry. Looks fucking exciting, but yup, still drives like a Camry underneath.

Agree to disagree. I thought it was interesting when this thread came up though. I've been thinking for a long time how much I dislike Nissans now. Apparently I'm not alone. However, I got stuck with a Qashqai rental when my car was stolen. I wasn't impressed with the vehicle at first. But then I looked it up and saw that fully loaded out the door price with no haggling is 35 grand. For AWD, SUV, Leatherette heated seat interior, and all the options you'd expect in a modern vehicle. It was gutless, but I kept thinking how it would be an excellent Alberta year round vehicle if you were on a budget.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Like lipstick on a pig.

Yes I own and love my Toyota.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Demise? When have they ever been a top manufacturer? When you have been in perpetual mediocrity there's not far to go to get to the bottom. Sure they have sold a lot of SUV's and Altimas over the years but they have basically followed the late-90's Mitsubishi business model in the US of giving credit to anyone with a pulse to move cars and that's why their resale value is horrible. They are always at the bottom of customer satisfaction polls as their reliability is always in the range of below average and the materials they use make a Hyundai look expensive in comparison. They are always the first brand I cross off my list when vehicle shopping as I generally hate everything they offer outside the GTR and I'm only lukewarm on that car.

My Ride
    V167

I love my Infiniti.

It a 2013 EX37 has ALL the packes (TECH/JOURNEY/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION)

"Technology Package adds Intelligent Brake Assist, Forward Collision Warning, Distance Control Assist, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Departure Prevention, Intelligent Cruise Control, and Blind Spot Warning. "

I bought it certified pre owned, from Hyatt, in 2015. I thought for a 2013 the tech and features were pretty damn high tech.

It's my daily and I have had zero issues. Rock solid reliable, and anytime I have passengers their first comment is "wow, really nice interior".

Would buy again.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Like lipstick on a pig.

Yes. I love my Lexus which is a Toyota but I pretend it's baller lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Like lipstick on a pig.

Toyotas are for people that don't care about cars, tech, or having the most modern engine, transmission, etc but want something competent, reliable, with strong resale value. Nothing wrong with that. Nissan is for people that don't care about cars and hate themselves.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Nissan has by far the worst paint quality lately. The orange peel on a $75k Titan is insane, looks like a MAACO paintjob.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    I love my Infiniti.
    When I had my G35, I enjoyed the heck out of it and gave me zero issue at all. Thing was a boat and a half in the corners though hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Toyotas are for people that don't care about cars, tech, or having the most modern engine, transmission, etc but want something competent, reliable, with strong resale value.
    Nailed it dude and I have no shame in that. It was originally bought as a work vehicle and in the end, it needed to do a job without worrying about anything. Has performed flawlessly for almost 200K now. Well not flawless if I'm being honest, the 4HI sensor went and took me 5 minutes to swap out. I had put it up for sale at the end of the summer for something stupid expensive, still had a couple people come by and look at it. I'll drive this thing into the ground unless someone feels the need to overpay me for it.

Toyota's motto should be "It Just Works"

If I was looking for a fun car, it sure as hell wouldn't be a Toyota.
    Last edited by msommers; 03-14-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Never seen the appeal of any of them. Their heyday was well before my time.

Having a Halo car like a GTR doesn’t make your Altima any more exciting.

Also. CVT’s.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast