Quantcast
2017 BC Provincial Election - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2017 BC Provincial Election

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

When did the O&G sector get a $55 billion handout?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    G6

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    tax payers have to pay for well clean up and now tailing ponds.
    Tax payers' dollars cleaning up tailing ponds? Source?

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

It did no such thing. Are you saying Canada would not be just as great with properly managed resources? I think more highly of Canadians. We might surprise you.

Canadians made CAnada great. Foreign investors are killing us.

Everyone is pissed at Alberta's 33 billion debt. But hey, the 55billion hand out to oil and gas, well and tailing pond clean up is just good business.
    Where did you get this $55BN hand-out?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Called on his BS and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Called on his BS and ran away.
    Im the one with a learning disability, and you guys want google lessons from me?

Ignore the well clean up comments. Convenient.

Only 10% of oil sands waste and clear cut areas have been fully reclaimed.

We are paying to clean up the reat.

Billionaires making billions from tax paying average albertans. Nice.

My Ride
    ute

oil sands companies pay taxes, and then employ people who then pay taxes.

businesses are the cause of tax revenues, either through direct taxation or employment related personal taxation.

I love how liberals always think there is a distinction between productive activities (ie businesses) and the magical appearance of funds in the gov'ts accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    oil sands companies pay taxes, and then employ people who then pay taxes.

businesses are the cause of tax revenues, either through direct taxation or employment related personal taxation.

I love how liberals always think there is a distinction between productive activities (ie businesses) and the magical appearance of funds in the gov'ts accounts.
    Our shop pays taxes and employs people. We would make more profit money if we coukd dump dirty oil in the alley after oil changes and then only clean 10% of it and leave tax payers albertans to pay for the rest.

Sounds like a solid model for long term sucsess.

Our shop pays taxes and employs people. We would make more profit money if we coukd dump dirty oil in the alley after oil changes and then only clean 10% of it and leave tax payers albertans to pay for the rest.

Sounds like a solid model for long term sucsess.
    Which is exactly what happens in other sectors. It's one reason why governments exist; to take care of shit when companies go under.

Also, loans for cleanup =/= the government footing the entire bill.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Only 10% of oil sands waste and clear cut areas have been fully reclaimed.
    Where are you getting these numbers from? And most major oil sands project are still active...why would they be fully reclaimed?

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Where are you getting these numbers from? And most major oil sands project are still active...why would they be fully reclaimed?
    Because he's a fucking moron.

My Ride
    Silverado

please see my sig for more details

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Obviously they are talking about ones that are no longer producing.

They are Pembina. National Academy of Sciences, NRDC. Alberta Environment, Royal Society of Canada that was a quick google.

Its a huge liability. They are estimating the clean up bill to tax payers will be more than the royalties Alberta have collected.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Obviously they are talking about ones that are no longer producing.
    Such as?

Stop being obtuse. No one is going to reclaim land still in prodiction. The fact that you need that spelled out is sad.

Here is more sound long term strategy. Syncrude is seeking to reclaim the ponds by capping them with fresh water and trapping the sediment or murky fine-tailings at the bottom

Or just burry the muck and chemicals.

Disturbing what people will do to nature for 50 cents.

Stop being obtuse. No one is going to reclaim land still in prodiction. The fact that you need that spelled out is sad.

Here is more sound long term strategy. Syncrude is seeking to reclaim the ponds by capping them with fresh water and trapping the sediment or murky fine-tailings at the bottom

Yawn.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I'm not being obtuse, I want to know which projects they are supposedly referring to.

And you obviously don't have any understanding of what SCL is doing with Base Mine Lake.

It begins....
    http://business.financialpost.com/co...ks-up-demands/

NDP/Green coalition jack up demands, company cancels 36B project.

Looks like Shell and Woodfibre are the only two possible projects left...if nothing else at least this will make these dumb asses think twice and do everything they can to keep one of those projects going.

I don't know a fucking thing.

My Ride
    Silverado

CALGARY – British Columbia’s government wants to restrict shipments of oilsands crude in pipelines and on railways cars in the province through a series of proposed new rules that is set to create additional uncertainty for Kinder Morgan Canada’s $7.4-billion Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

The proposed rules also open B.C. up to jurisdictional challenges and have already exacerbated a spat with Alberta Premier Rachel Notley, who called the proposals “both illegal and unconstitutional.

CALGARY – British Columbia’s government wants to restrict shipments of oilsands crude in pipelines and on railways cars in the province through a series of proposed new rules that is set to create additional uncertainty for Kinder Morgan Canada’s $7.4-billion Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

The proposed rules also open B.C. up to jurisdictional challenges and have already exacerbated a spat with Alberta Premier Rachel Notley, who called the proposals “both illegal and unconstitutional.”

In an interview with the Financial Post, Heyman said B.C.’s Environmental Management Act “gives us the right, in addition to our responsibility, to defend B.C.’s vulnerable coastline, our inland waterways, our economic and environmental interests and that’s what British Columbians expect us to do.

He acknowledged the potential for a legal challenge to the new rules, as railways and pipelines that cross provincial borders are federally regulated.

“We’ll deal with a legal challenge when and if it happens,” Heyman said. He added that B.C. will consult with its citizens on the proposals ahead of implementing the rules as law “later this year or in early 2019.”

Burnet, Duckworth and Palmer partner and chair John Brussa said the new rules “sounds like it set it up for a huge constitutional fight.” Brussa is both a Calgary-based energy lawyer and a director of several oil and gas companies, including Baytex Energy Corp.

“I think intra-provincial commerce is clearly the purview of the federal government,” Brussa said.

For its part, Alberta’s government immediately blasted the proposals and indicated the federal government should step in to enforce the constitutional division of powers.

“The B.C. government has every right to consult on whatever it pleases with its citizens. It does not have the right to rewrite our constitution and assume powers for itself that it does not have,” Notley said, adding that Heyman’s announcement was “political game-playing and political theatre.”

The B.C. proposal comes as Ottawa is expected to announce sweeping reforms that governs energy projects.

Kinder Morgan Canada shares tumbled 2 per cent to $16.83 each on the announcement, reversing some of the gains the stock had made following a National Energy Board ruling earlier this month that allowed the company to seek local permits directly from the regulator rather than opposed municipalities like Burnaby.

“Kinder Morgan is aware of the government’s announcement today and will actively participate in their engagement and feedback process,” Trans Mountain spokesperson Ali Hounsell said in an email, adding there was no update the project’s expected 2020 in-service date.

“The Expansion project’s approval by the government of Canada followed a rigorous and lengthy regulatory process that included a thorough examination of the pipeline and products being shipped and there are conditions on the project from both the National Energy Board and the B.C. Environmental Assessment Office related to diluted bitumen,” she said.

Environmental activists immediately called the announcement a setback for the pipeline, which is currently under construction.

“Today’s announcement by British Columbia officials of plans to restrict new shipments of tar sands crude oil is a major setback for Kinder Morgan’s pipeline,” Stand.earth campaigner Sven Biggs said in a release, adding that it could eliminate the company’s ability to ship oilsands crude across the province even if the pipeline is built.

Greenpeace campaigner Mike Hudema also called the announcement “a major blow to Kinder Morgan” and would result in a moratorium on new bitumen exports.
    http://business.financialpost.com/co...ntain-pipeline

If they're so anti-oil, then perhaps Alberta should cut off their supply.

That would change their mind real quick.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast