Quantcast
AE quality down? Alternatives? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AE quality down? Alternatives?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default AE quality down? Alternatives?

Edit: Splitting my digression from the polishing thread.

I should probably start another thread, but I was at Nordstrom and was looking for a new pair of AE (bought last pair 3 years ago) and some polishing stuffs as my shoes are terrible. The sales dude said everyone but O’Conner’s has dropped them due to quality issues. Also said their re-man process takes months now instead of a couple of weeks. I was looking as I need a bridge pair while I send my shoes in to be resoled.

If AE is shit, what is another brand that you can get that is priced similar and works for the long run? I was watching the hanger project and they recommend Carmina. Can you get those in these parts?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think the sales dude is not a reliable source of information about the quality of products that they don't carry.
    It's like asking the Mercedes dude about BMW quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think the sales dude is not a reliable source of information about the quality of products that they don't carry.
    It's like asking the Mercedes dude about BMW quality.
    All he said was that prices have gone up and quality has gone down. He said Nordstrom would sell about 1 pair a day and started getting 1 pair a day returned. He said his dad still wears them, but that he (his dad who is a U of C prof) has been waiting longer and longer for the resole.

If you look on reddit and YouTube, there is support for his assertion.

Quality issues have been due to being purchased by another big company that is cutting back.

Going to make a new thread.

Alden?
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, value in terms of price vs quality is a discussion I'd love to know more about.
    Considering "regular" price for many AE's is ~$600CAD, I have no doubt that there's other options.

I'm a cheapass, so I can't pay full price for anything. Always need a deal or a sale.

Serious question though, how often are people getting new soles that the turnaround time is important? And if you are getting new soles, is a local cobbler (which there are a few) an equivalent option?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

AE were considered the entry level for full leather soles that were/are intended for a lifetime.

20 years ago, I’d buy Aldo or whatever with rubber/plastic soles and you would be lucky if they last a year. My AEs are going strong after 3 years of alternating between pairs everyday.

If a local cobbler can do Equivalent quality work, I’m open to that.

Recommendations?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Socks and slides.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Power move

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    AE were considered the entry level for full leather soles that were/are intended for a lifetime.

20 years ago, I’d buy Aldo or whatever with rubber/plastic soles and you would be lucky if they last a year. My AEs are going strong after 3 years of alternating between pairs everyday.

If a local cobbler can do Equivalent quality work, I’m open to that.

Recommendations?
    For major work, I always take my AE’s to O’Connor’s and they have handled everything. With that being said, I always have a thin rubber sole glued on the leather sole so it takes the wear and tear instead of the leather. As the rubber gets worn out, any cobbler can replace it and the heel as needed. My oldest pair of AE’s are 6 or 7 years old and i’ve never had the leather sole replaced or repaired, although I have had toe caps restitched.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

I got a pair of AE's last year and they are holding up super well. Very happy with them. Do you rotate shoes or are you beating one pair into the ground?

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

From what I've read, the quality has gone down significantly and shoes that used to be considered second quality are being sold at retail.

I'm still a fan of the factory seconds products when they blow them out as I still haven't found a better made shoe for the price, and I don't get too worked up about a crooked stitch or a minor defect in the leather.

Many would suggest that Alden is the next step up, but the prices also jump up quite a bit. A few guys at the office seem to wear a lot of Trickers, Crocket and Jones and Loakes with the odd Caramina and Meermin tossed in there.

I have 3 pairs of AE "seconds" and two of them I literally cannot tell why they are factory seconds, and on one pair I *maybe* can see what *might* be the defect, but is just as likely a slight natural variance in the leather.

Haven't bought new ones in a long time though because my now 6+ year old AE's still look brand new.

My Ride
    E90

I was at O'connors and they mentioned they have an in-house cobbler who resoles their AE's.

I got Vibram heels put on one of my pairs of AE by the cobbler in the bottom of bow valley square and they did an awesome job - they are more comfortable now too IMO. The soles themselves are still intact.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    From what I've read, the quality has gone down significantly and shoes that used to be considered second quality are being sold at retail.

I'm still a fan of the factory seconds products when they blow them out as I still haven't found a better made shoe for the price, and I don't get too worked up about a crooked stitch or a minor defect in the leather.

Many would suggest that Alden is the next step up, but the prices also jump up quite a bit. A few guys at the office seem to wear a lot of Trickers, Crocket and Jones and Loakes with the odd Caramina and Meermin tossed in there.
    Meermin is narrow af if you get the wrong last. C&J are nice.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Well, value in terms of price vs quality is a discussion I'd love to know more about.
    Considering "regular" price for many AE's is ~$600CAD, I have no doubt that there's other options.

I'm a cheapass, so I can't pay full price for anything. Always need a deal or a sale.

Serious question though, how often are people getting new soles that the turnaround time is important? And if you are getting new soles, is a local cobbler (which there are a few) an equivalent option?
    They’re that expensive now? I bought my 3 pairs on various trips to Houston many years ago, probably for around $300 CAD. Don’t need any new pairs as I now wear black Adidas Ultra Boosts to work every day.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Um ..

Sorry to ask, Benyl what is "AE" ? Armani Exchange?
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    Um ..

Sorry to ask, Benyl what is "AE" ? Armani Exchange?
    Allen Edmonds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    I now wear black Adidas Ultra Boosts to work every day.
    I think I might just do this.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post

My wife got me a pair of To Boot New York shoes for my birthday. I've never heard of them before, but they are really comfortable and really good quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast