Quantcast
ARRIVABENE out , BINOTTO in as Team Principal at Ferrari - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: ARRIVABENE out , BINOTTO in as Team Principal at Ferrari

My Ride
    95B

Default ARRIVABENE out , BINOTTO in as Team Principal at Ferrari

In a bid to intensify their 2019 championship challenge, Ferrari have decided that a change at the top is required and replaced Maurizio Arrivabene with Mattia Binotto.

With the decision-makers at Ferrari running out of patience, they have decided to call time on Arrivabene’s reign, which began back in 2014 when he was appointed by the late Sergio Marchionne, replacing Marco Mattiacci.

Their current chief technical officer Binotto has been confirmed as the new team principal ahead of the 2019 season.

A statement from Ferrari read:

“After four years of untiring commitment and dedication, Maurizio Arrivabene is leaving the team. The decision was taken together with the company’s top management after lengthy discussions related to Maurizio’s long term personal interests as well as those of the team itself.

“Ferrari would like to thank Maurizio for his valuable contribution to the team’s increasing competitiveness over the past few years, and wish him the best for his future endeavours.

“With immediate effect, Mattia Binotto will take over as Scuderia Ferrari’s Team Principal. All technical areas will continue to report directly to Mattia.”

With Binotto being largely credited with spearheading Ferrari’s improved power unit performances, the team have been championship contenders for the last two seasons.

However, driver and team errors have proven costly, and what should’ve been a close championship fight went completely Mercedes’ way in the second half of 2018.

In attempt to up their game on the driver front, Ferrari will be hoping that their move to replace Kimi Raikkonen with Charles Leclerc will encourage improved performances from Vettel in 2019.

Ferrari have now followed that up with a management restructure, which they hope will see improved decision-making at the top of the team.

They were criticised for their reluctance to apply team orders in Germany, whilst none were applied Austria, where Raikkonen finished second and just ahead of Vettel.

Their decision to not give Vettel the slipstream during qualifying for the Italian Grand Prix was considered a poor one by many, and an incorrect tyre strategy in a damp-to-dry Japanese Grand Prix qualifying session cost them the chance of victory in that event.

Tensions between Arrivabene and Binotto were believed to be at an all-time high towards the conclusion of the 2018 season.

Who is Mattia Binotto?

Ferrari through and through, Binotto began his career with the Scuderia back in 1995, when he joined the team as a test engine engineer, before performing the same role from 1997-2003.

He was appointed a race engineer from 2004, which resulted in a role as ‘chief engineer, race and assembly’ in 2007.

He moved back onto the engine side of operations in 2009 when he became Head of Engine and KERS Operations, a year when only Ferrari and three other teams elected to at least trial the new-for-2009 KERS system.

Appointed Deputy Director, Engine and Electronics in October 2013, Binotto then took on the role of Chief Operating Officer, Power Unit.

Finally, he was promoted to Chief Technical Officer in 2016, as Ferrari’s attempts to make gains in the power unit department intensified.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2019/...eam-principal/

Not sad to see him go. Vettel had his share of mistakes, but the team directions and race strategies screwed him out of title contention far more than his own mistakes did. Hopefully this new guy knows something about racing.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

This should make the 2019 season interesting.

My Ride
    XT6

This was a bad knee jerk reaction to me and instability is not something Ferrari can afford in 2019.

This opens the door to increased pressure from RB.

Excited to see how things start to shake out in pre-season testing.

My Ride
    95B

It is too late in the season to make this change and this is going to cause instability. - I guess they already have an excuse for the upcoming season
    March to 6 continues.

My Ride
    golfR

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is too late in the season to make this change and this is going to cause instability. - I guess they already have an excuse for the upcoming season
    March to 6 continues.
    I think they pretty much had to. Either promote Binotto or he leaves.
    As the CTO, he's been credited a lot for Ferrari's climb in the last 2 years.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    This was a bad knee jerk reaction to me and instability is not something Ferrari can afford in 2019.

This opens the door to increased pressure from RB.

Excited to see how things start to shake out in pre-season testing.
    Unless Honda has made massive improvements in energy management, RBR won’t be pressuring anyone in the race. They’ll qualify well, and fall back during the race.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Unless Honda has made massive improvements in energy management, RBR won’t be pressuring anyone in the race. They’ll qualify well, and fall back during the race.
    There is certainly room to improve in energy management but the larger risk is reliability as with the introduction of spec 3 they seem to be struggling with oscillations/vibrations.

Personally, I don't see them falling off next year and would wager closer to the end of the year they have passed Ferrari.

As frustrating as it is to watch, Mercedes will still be the class of the field unless they get something really wrong or miss a loop hole (ala Brawn double diffuser).

Lots of changes at McLaren as well https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46816256

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Lots of changes at McLaren as well https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46816256
    Mclearen switched from Honda to Renault engines..? When was this..? Did I miss something...?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Last year. McLaren and Toro Rosso basically swapped contracts.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Mclaren was fed up with the Honda reliability issues, and since then Toro Rosso has had better luck with them but not much more really. Really curious to see if RB will be anywhere close to the top 3 with a Honda on board.