Lets talk basement finishing... - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk basement finishing...

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^LoL BCS you fuckin dink!

That grey foam looks like Icynene. Please please tell me you didn't use the company called Midgaard!
    I ended up getting 3 spray foam quotes and we ended up going with Beyond Spray Foam. No issue with them

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I mean I guess that's nice but sorta pointless. You'd just be better off filling the cavity with Roxul up to R40.

Should've also used Roxul on the walls, you get more R value per inch with it.

Also the R12 might not meet current code.
    Code depends on how much of the walls are above/below grade. For us we are good with R12.

With the cost of lumber these days I did not want to add reframing the basement for R20 to the list. Spray foaming the rim joists was a good middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    I ended up getting 3 spray foam quotes and we ended up going with Beyond Spray Foam. No issue with them
    So that's how they keep this forum going.

My Ride
    *The First*

They are excellent. Good choice! I thought they were horny for BASF WallTight which is purple and what I got (through EnerSpray). That's partially why I asked.
    I vehemently disagree with SunTan on this one and support your choice.

Vehemently? Sounds sexy.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Spray foaming the rim joists was a good middle ground.
    This is key and should be bare bones minimum for any construction.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Beyonds favourite tile guy just wrapped up our basement bathroom floor and shower. Dave does excellent work!

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Turned out awesome and now we finally get our finisher in later this week. Then paint next week!

Also was super refreshing not dealing with a neanderthal sub trade for once. I will never use a different tiler again and would highly recommend Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Beyonds favourite tile guy just wrapped up our basement bathroom floor and shower. Dave does excellent work!

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Turned out awesome and now we finally get our finisher in later this week. Then paint next week!

Also was super refreshing not dealing with a neanderthal sub trade for once. I will never use a different tiler again and would highly recommend Dave.
    That looks great! My basement reno just started as well, we went with Basement Builders and so far the experience has been pretty smooth. Framing started last week and was done in 3 days, we have a meeting with their electrician and plumber this week, then the interior designer next week. Still undecided about carpet vs. LVP at this time might do a mix of carpet on the stairs and bedroom and LVP everywhere else.

Dude never got back to me after I asked him a couple of questions. Ah well.

I have a neanderthal tradie doing my mud room and powder room right now.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Is tile on the ceiling in showers a new thing? When I had the ceiling texture guys in they originally weren't going to texture the bathroom ceiling because they were saying most new builds have a painted ceiling in the bathroom and tile on the shower/bath ceiling. I think @88CRX 's picture was the first time I have actually seen it though.

My house is a 2016 and my previous house was a 2012 and it was textured ceilings like the rest of the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    V8s

My parents redid their house ~10 years ago, and their shower ceilings are tiled.

I think it's correlated to the budget/level of reno. Paint/texture is cheaper than tile.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Is tile on the ceiling in showers a new thing? When I had the ceiling texture guys in they originally weren't going to texture the bathroom ceiling because they were saying most new builds have a painted ceiling in the bathroom and tile on the shower/bath ceiling. I think @88CRX 's picture was the first time I have actually seen it though.

My house is a 2016 and my previous house was a 2012 and it was textured ceilings like the rest of the house.
    I only did it cause we have that stupid bulkhead in the vicinity and felt like it was too close to where shower water and/or steam will be collecting. Otherwise I would have not bothered.

Edit: You must have had the same lazy SOB texture guys our drywall guy brought it LOL

Yup I got it tiled. Keeps moisture from ruining the ceiling.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

You must have had the same lazy SOB texture guys our drywall guy brought it LOL
    we had Master Ceilings do the texture, they seemed alright to me. The main guy just mentioned it when we did the walk through because I had a few weird bulk head areas he wanted to confirm and then mentioned that in passing as we were going room to room. He said thats the new style but I told him that no I wanted it textured he just said okay and we moved on.

I guess I am just poor and out of the loop, which isn't the first time. But I do like how with that bulk head you ran with the tile, I think that was a smart move.
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

What's the ball park for Mud and Taping these days? I've got 730sq/ft of wall I need done. No bulkheads just walls and a few corners. I have a few guys coming next week for quotes but curious what anyone on here has seen recently.

What's the ball park for Mud and Taping these days? I've got 730sq/ft of wall I need done. No bulkheads just walls and a few corners. I have a few guys coming next week for quotes but curious what anyone on here has seen recently.
    I was quoted $9500 for Mud and Taping all walls and ceilings to level 4 finish. 4500sqft.

No idea if that is the going rate but had three quotes and they all came in about the same for drywall installation, mudding, and taping.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

My basement 860sqft and I got quotes ranging from $3000-4100. That included ceiling texture.
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

We’re done! Nearly…

For everyone asking about costs:
    Permits = $600
    Framing (supply and labour) = $3000
    HVAC= $350 (revised return airs and added supplies)
    Electrical Materials = $2000 (we did all the electrical work ourselves)
    Data = $700 (all material and terminations)
    Bathroom Plumbing Rough In = $500
    Drywall (supply, install & ceiling texture) = $6100
    Bathroom Material (vanity, shower base, tile, shitter, shower glass, towel bars, shower fixtures, etc) and tile install = $9000
    Finishing Contractor Door/Trim (supper and install) = $2250
    Paint = $3000 (sprayed doors/trims and rolled walls, also includes repainting existing stair walls)
    Carpet = $2800
    Bathroom Final = should be a couple hundred bucks

Puts us right around $31k when we wrap up here. Bathroom will be about $10k in itself (ouch)

Developed basement area is ~600 ft2. Stair was previously finished but we did cut open the basement stair wall which influenced costs (demo and patching/repairing). Also still waiting to wrap up bathroom final once I get the sink/counter vanity all installed here, bathroom should be 100% in a week or two.

Outside of electrical and fixing shit in between subtrades and ongoing cleaning we hired everything else out. I’ll post all the sub trades I’d recommend below (it’s a short list… LOL). My recommendation… hire a GC, pay them their profit % and let them deal with the neanderthal subs. Or just do it yourself haha. Getting subs to show up on time and do good work was painful, you hold no cards as a single basement development when shit is busy like it is right now. And without having a GC there are lots of little gaps that get missed, nobody thinks about the next sub coming in, lots of babysitting required.

Dave the Tile Guy
    Did a bang up job, I didn’t have to ask him to fix anything cause he just did it properly the first time. What a fucking concept! He also helped us out on some other tile repair work in our house. I’ll never use a different tile setter again.

Stylux Painting
    Had to reschedule these guys multiple times, cause nobody else could get done on time and they were super accommodating. They also did a bang up job and were the lowest estimate I got. It’s a husband and wife team (with some other helpers) and they did great work. We’ll get them back to do some more painting upstairs once we get everything moved around.

Rhino Finishing Materials
    They supplied us with all the material (doors, trims, baseboards) and recommended an installer. Installer was OK (had to drag him back to fix shit) but their pricing on material was killer and good service from that end.

- Framer was decent, but they’re swamped and you can tell they rushed their work in places. Good luck finding one!
    - HVAC guy did shit work, I fixed a bunch of his stuff. Just some shmuck that I found last minute after my other guy bailed on me.
    - Drywaller was a fucking nightmare, should have know better when he announced he was an anit-vaxer when he showed up. In fact he still hasn’t been paid cause he’s too fucking lazy to come get the cheque (doesn’t take online payment cause ‘the government’).
    - Plumber was a friend of a friend, not interested in more side work (sorry for whoever asked).
    - After Eight did the carpet. Meh, whatever. Installer fucked up some walls/base (as expected I guess) not sure I’d really recommend them.

So yea… that’s that. Glad to be nearly done, was starting to think it would never get completed.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Looks like getting everything done was for $5.00/sq ft? Did they do two coats? Which paint did you guys go with?

I just got a quote back to paint the whole house from a referral who sprays everything: walls, casing, baseboards, and doors ended up at $6.00/sqft.

What kind of numbers were you getting from other painters before going with Stylux?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Paint is estimated on wall square footage not floor square footage so thats not a great metric to compare jobs but might be okay if you're comparing the same job. I got my basement painted with a floor square footage of 860ft with 2/3 9ft walls and 1/3 7'9 walls for $4000 as a reference which would give you ~$4.65/sqft. That included filling the nail holes from my own installation of trim work, spraying all trim, 4x doors, 2x windows and rolling the walls. Everything was two coats of Sherman Williams paint plus another coat for what ever walls needed touch ups after the fact. We used Harding's Paint who we used for the upstairs of the house when we first moved in. In that instance it was like $7400 for ~2300 sqft ($3.22/sqft) of painted rooms but we had vaulted ceilings, an open front entry way and they had to go around kitchen cabinets and a fire place. More than half the work is in the prep work.

Just an FYI for this thread because I didn't know this but mud/tape is estimated in linear feet based on how many 8/9/10/12/14 ft boards you use plus the number of outside and inside corners in multiples of the lengths of corner beads.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 06-16-2022 at 08:52 AM.
    I'm generally cute.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast