Quantcast
Right of way question - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Right of way question

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

The confusion strictly stems from this whole construction blockage. I think everyone agrees what should have happened if there was no construction.

The driver's handbook is very clear when it mentions "obstruction close to the corner" on right turns. Whether it is a left turn or straight oncoming traffic makes absolutely no difference. They are both approaching from the left and will be traveling in the lane being entered. The person on the right must yield unless for whatever reason construction isn't classified as an obstruction.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

My thought on this is that if you do not have an advance and the car is turning right and has an obstruction.. your yielding to them to ensure they are through first and then go.

Otherwise your going to run into a situation where vehicle turning right feels because of the blockage its their right to be in the other lane.

For me this is a "common sense" of how do I avoid getting into an accident even if your never supposed to give up "row"

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

If you are turning left, you have no rights. You yield, if you have completed your turn and are fully established in a lane, then anyone entering that lane must yield to you. Very simple

cet, you're pulling stuff from an american site. Every province/country has totally different laws. You also have to take into factor a 1 lane vs 2 lane road.
    Because at an uncontrolled T, if you're approaching the T-intersection you can legally turn left and the guy to your left has to yield. Yield to your right is the law in AB.

Yes it would be nice if traffic cop can possibly chime in, cause after glancing through the traffic laws that show what has been snipped/crossed into this thread so far I have yet to read anything that would change the RoW. And I'm aware you can always be safe and give up your RoW to suspecting idiots but it can also be frustrating not getting through a light because someone takes your RoW and you get stuck behind traffic of everyone scared/waiting.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    cet, you're pulling stuff from an american site. Every province/country has totally different laws. You also have to take into factor a 1 lane vs 2 lane road.
    Because at an uncontrolled T, if you're approaching the T-intersection you can legally turn left and the guy to your left has to yield. Yield to your right is the law in AB.

Yes it would be nice if traffic cop can possibly chime in, cause after glancing through the traffic laws that show what has been snipped/crossed into this thread so far I have yet to read anything that would change the RoW. And I'm aware you can always be safe and give up your RoW to suspecting idiots but it can also be frustrating not getting through a light because someone takes your RoW and you get stuck behind traffic of everyone scared/waiting.
    Unless you have an advance you don’t have RoW turning left at a light ever! What if the guy turning right just happened to not have canceled his signal or last second decided he wanted to go straight? You’d be t-boned and trust me when I tell you, you will be at fault (been there, done that)

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Unless you have an advance you don’t have RoW turning left at a light ever! What if the guy turning right just happened to not have canceled his signal or last second decided he wanted to go straight? You’d be t-boned and trust me when I tell you, you will be at fault (been there, done that)
    But try to speak about this in this scenario. In normal days, these 2 cars would have no ROW issue. Because of construction, do you treat it as a one lane, or obstruction to the right most lane? At what point is it determined to be an obstruction vs. whole lane is offline?
    How can you expect the person turning left to ASSUME there is construction blockage when the person turning right would have the better view of the situation? Sometimes it can be very hard to tell when you are used to knowing it's always 2 lanes. I think this is why in many cases, there is a construction sign posted for the person turning right to stop/yield just because every construction scene may be a bit different.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 10-22-2018 at 11:45 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    But try to speak about this in this scenario. In normal days, these 2 cars would have no ROW issue. Because of construction, do you treat it as a one lane, or obstruction to the right most lane? At what point is it determined to be an obstruction vs. whole lane is offline?
    How can you expect the person turning left to ASSUME there is construction blockage when the person turning right would have the better view of the situation? Sometimes it can be very hard to tell when you are used to knowing it's always 2 lanes. I think this is why in many cases, there is a construction sign posted for the person turning right to stop/yield just because every construction scene may be a bit different.
    The number of lanes does not matter in the slightest as you yield to all if you’re turning left. The only time the “yield to the person on your right” is a thing is if it’s stop signs, and everyone present has one

So now I'm curious for the ones that feel the car turning to its right has the RoW. What do you do at an intersection as such when a bus is at the stop. Do you say fuck the guy turning right with the inside lane and shoot right over? Because funny enough that intersection has a bus stop just a few feet over to the East

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So now I'm curious for the ones that feel the car turning to its right has the RoW. What do you do at an intersection as such when a bus is at the stop. Do you say fuck the guy turning right with the inside lane and shoot right over? Because funny enough that intersection has a bus stop just a few feet over to the East
    What if the guy turning right had a sign saying he could pick either lane to turn right into? It’s simple really, you don’t know any of these variables and that’s why if you are turning left you must yield to all. Again... if the construction was down a little, he initiated a turn into the curb lane, you made your turn into the left lane, then he tried to merge through you after you were fully established in the lane... he is at fault

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Southbound 37th @ 17th is notorious for this.

Blue line likes to either turn into appropriate lane or cut across into the gas station
    Green line likes to turn into blue lane if they see the bus sitting there

Name:  turn 37th.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  81.6 KB

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

A lot of people would go wide on right turn anyway so I generally avoid going in at the same time. Either beat them or wait.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    The number of lanes does not matter in the slightest as you yield to all if you’re turning left.
    I don't think this is true. So you mean even if I turn left and there is someone turning right that has no lane conflict, I still have to yield to them?
    What if it was a 4 lane one way. I turn in lane 1, they turn into lane 4. I still need to yield to them? lol.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 10-22-2018 at 12:16 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    A lot of people would go wide on right turn anyway so I generally avoid going in at the same time. Either beat them or wait.
    So much truth in this... or they just fall into turning into the left lane any way and disregard the right lane.

I'm with errchry on this one but I'm old as dirt and enjoy during motor coaches so my opinion is a mute point.
    Will fuck off, again.

Sorry, totally didn't notice it was an American site. This is from the AMA:

https://ama.ab.ca/2017/03/31/the-rig...e-right-of-way

Unless otherwise directed by a traffic control device, when two drivers approaching from opposite directions reach an intersection at about the same time, a driver turning left must yield to approaching traffic going straight or turning right.

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    Sorry, totally didn't notice it was an American site. This is from the AMA:

https://ama.ab.ca/2017/03/31/the-rig...e-right-of-way
    Yah you are definitely applying a totally different situation, the wording above seems to be an uncontrolled 1+1 lane situation. In which yes, the crossing lane of flow RoW applies.

But in 2+2 when both parties signal each person has a designated RoW lane (their inside lane). The party turning right isn't allowed to swing out to the center/take both or jump to the lane next to the median despite how often this occurs.

And I didn't bring up Ercchy accident point about getting hit because I've had someone with advanced green get hit by a person running a red light and because no camera they were deemed at fault because the other party lied about running a red. So the changing signal/mind, or running red lights etc I try to remove. Speaking of I should really stop being so lazy and install my old dashcam again...

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

To me, the question is how close is "fairly close to the intersection"? If the vehicle B has enough room to make the turn and THEN move into the left lane to get around the traffic, I would imagine they would have to yield to any traffic in that left lane regardless of whether that traffic was the result of someone turning or going straight through. And if vehicle B did have enough room to make the turn into the right most lane, then by not doing so they are the ones doing something illegal. With this said, the graphics seem to indicate the construction really was so close to the intersection that driver B had no choice but to go directly into the left lane and if that is the case I suppose they would have the right of way.

Unrelated but not really, I hate it when I am in a merge lane at an intersection and vehicles take the opposite turn into the 2nd lane. It happens all the time and I've had some pretty close calls with people doing that. Yes they are in the wrong, but it would be a difficult scenario because as a merge lane you are expected to yield to oncoming traffic and it would be easy for them to say they turned on the inside lane and then immediately went to the 2nd lane.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Jesus, how are you guys still arguing with @Ercchy ? My faith in the skill and knowledge of Beyond drivers has been shaken

Look at it this way, if this was a 4 way stop, and both drivers arrived and stopped at the intersection at the same time, who gets to go first? That's what this boils down to.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Jesus, how are you guys still arguing with @Ercchy ? My faith in the skill and knowledge of Beyond drivers has been shaken

Look at it this way, if this was a 4 way stop, and both drivers arrived and stopped at the intersection at the same time, who gets to go first? That's what this boils down to.
    I'll further this then, even though the debate on this topic is actually discussing something else.

If the road being turned into was 2 lanes, does it matter who goes first? They are 2 separate lanes, keep in mind. Why does the person turning left need to yield to someone who has their own separate lane to turn into?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Okay so I'll further this then, even though the debate on this topic is actually discussing something else. If the road being turned into was 2 lanes, does it matter who goes first? They are 2 separate lanes.
    Theoretically, yes, both vehicles could turn at the same time. Practically though, if I am the person turning left, I don't risk it and will wait the couple seconds for the person turning right to finish their turn before I proceed just to avoid a collision because they don't turn into the proper lane.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast