AMA: Living in Spain - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AMA: Living in Spain

My Ride
    ute

Sounds like paradise.

My Ride
    *The First*

(not related to living there, but related to culture).

What's the deal with throwing many many tonnes of oranges & tomatoes at each other "for fun" when I believe there are a lot of starving folks, there?
    And the torturing of bulls for entertainment?

I don't think one needs to be a hippie to look down one's nose at some of that behaviour. But, maybe there's a good reason?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Animals as entertainment is pretty popular in most cultures I think. I mean, bullfights aren't' really great in terms of animal welfare, but it's on the spectrum of things that are acceptable around the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I was surprised at how difficult it was to get around spain without spanish.
    I think there is a general (and mostly wrong) assumption that most of Europe is English-friendly, particularly in the bigger metropolis cities. It's not. Your hotel concierge is going to be fluent in English (along with probably 5 other languages), but once you're out on the streets, it's in your best interest to have some command of the local language at your disposal.

Most of the Europeans who have a strong command of the language outside of the UK (usually younger people), have probably left their country to go to the US or Canada, which is why they put in so much effort to learn the language in the first place. The ones that are left have learned it for employment (hospitality or international business) purposes, and the rest have virtually zero need to learn it otherwise. The latter is whom you are likely going to be interacting with most, as a tourist, unless you're on a lame tour group/bus.
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 01-14-2021 at 12:37 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds like paradise.
    Basically no different than Seattle or San Francisco lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Animals as entertainment is pretty popular in most cultures I think. I mean, bullfights aren't' really great in terms of animal welfare, but it's on the spectrum of things that are acceptable around the world.
    I love, love me some rodeo, but the Matador sticks knives in the bull on each pass. Circus animals don't have a great go, but they're not literally killed slowly on stage. I don't see it as "on the spectrum of things that are acceptable" in terms of animal entertainment.

I'd still rather cut up a PETA person into chunks small enough that I could barbeque them rather than listen to their endless horse shit, but I still think bull fighting is repugnant.

My Ride
    NC1

Sounds like paradise.
    Yea I felt like an idiot in the airport lol not many spoke English. Nice country tho!

My fave spot so far is Croatia if I was tempted to move away.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline_Addict View Post
    I think there is a general (and mostly wrong) assumption that most of Europe is English-friendly, particularly in the bigger metropolis cities. It's not. Your hotel concierge is going to be fluent in English (along with probably 5 other languages), but once you're out on the streets, it's in your best interest to have some command of the local language at your disposal.

Most of the Europeans who have a strong command of the language outside of the UK (usually younger people), have probably left their country to go to the US or Canada, which is why they put in so much effort to learn the language in the first place. The ones that are left have learned it for employment (hospitality or international business) purposes, and the rest have virtually zero need to learn it otherwise. The latter is whom you are likely going to be interacting with most, as a tourist, unless you're on a lame tour group/bus.
    Living in Germany as a kid, I was pretty sheltered. English pretty much wherever I went. My mum speaks German and my dad speaks French, so we were rarely if ever unable to communicate as a family. I didn't spend much time in Spain when I was a kid, though.

After travelling more as an adult in Europe, I've come to a conclusion: German people prefer to speak english to you. French people can often speak English, but just pretend they can't. Spanish people just can't speak English.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The Spanish people who spoke English good enough left for better jobs.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    This and that.

Well fuck. Am I glad I asked lol. So I guess I will take Spain off my list as one of the available options for our holiday home. Arizona and Texas are still a backup available but next I will explore Italy. We loved it there in 2019.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    (not related to living there, but related to culture).

What's the deal with throwing many many tonnes of oranges & tomatoes at each other "for fun" when I believe there are a lot of starving folks, there?
    And the torturing of bulls for entertainment?

I don't think one needs to be a hippie to look down one's nose at some of that behaviour. But, maybe there's a good reason?
    The extra oranges and tomatoes are leftovers from the harvest. Can't export it all. There's also a city that puts on a wine fight and our friend's village festival has a free tote tank of wine at the town hall building.

As far as bull fighting, it's becoming less accepted here. Historically, most countries/cultures abused animals (and often people) for entertainment. We've just done a better job of covering up our history in North America.

On the flip-side, I'd say livestock get treated here better than in the US or Canada overall. The EU has better regulation over animal products and it's much more clear what you're buying.

Living in Germany as a kid, I was pretty sheltered. English pretty much wherever I went. My mum speaks German and my dad speaks French, so we were rarely if ever unable to communicate as a family. I didn't spend much time in Spain when I was a kid, though.

After travelling more as an adult in Europe, I've come to a conclusion: German people prefer to speak english to you. French people can often speak English, but just pretend they can't. Spanish people just can't speak English.
    In my travel experience, Germans, Dutch, Scandinavians, Swiss, and Belgians speak the best English. A lot of young people in the Baltics and Balkans also speak good English and I'm often surprised by the few words that older people know.

In Mediterranean countries (Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece) English is only widely-spoken in tourist areas, but younger people are picking it up. My wife's parents wouldn't even know 'hello', 'good-bye', or 'thank you'.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Well fuck. Am I glad I asked lol. So I guess I will take Spain off my list as one of the available options for our holiday home. Arizona and Texas are still a backup available but next I will explore Italy. We loved it there in 2019.
    Don't expect Italy to be much different...

One more positive of Spain is the internet/phone. We have 200mbps up/down (actual is usually ~120mbps) fiber optic internet and 2 mobile phones with something like 20GB of data as a package for only 35 Euro/month. Makes Canadian internet and phone costs look absolutely ridiculous.

Name:  Speed.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  34.9 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

^Thanks.

Do many people still smoke, there? I'm picturing a lot more daily wine consumption and smoking with a much lower stress life defying the odds and living a long time.

If a lot of people still do smoke, are you allowed to indoors anywhere? Outdoors in a stadium? Maternity wards?

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Interesting upbringing! That’s really cool!

Yes, if there is a group of non-native English speaking Europeans that seem to embrace the English language the most, it would probably have to be the Germans and definitely the Scandinavians. Most Scandinavian people probably speak better English than the average American. Their education system forces them to learn a second language, and most go with English.

Other European countries you can probably get by more easily with English, are Holland and metropolitan Switzerland. Some of the Baltic countries are huge into American culture, so you would find the younger crowd in places like Croatia and Latvia having a conversational command of the language.

Edit: just read what davidI said. Clearly we are both on the same wavelength here! Also, thanks for starting this thread. It’s really interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

^Thanks.

Do many people still smoke, there? I'm picturing a lot more daily wine consumption and smoking with a much lower stress life defying the odds and living a long time.

If a lot of people still do smoke, are you allowed to indoors anywhere? Outdoors in a stadium? Maternity wards?
    People smoke like crazy there. Inside and out.

Almost everyone seems to own at least one dog, too.
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 01-15-2021 at 07:45 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    No offense here, but you of all people are probably the wrong dude to be purchasing overseas property. I mean, I recommend against it for everyone, but you even more. I'm not trying to be funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

No offense here, but you of all people are probably the wrong dude to be purchasing overseas property. I mean, I recommend against it for everyone, but you even more. I'm not trying to be funny.
    Yea. Vacations are easy to change you mind about every other week.

fact.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

I raise you this:

Opening an exotic car dealership in Spain, so you don't have to use a rental car company when you visit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline_Addict View Post
    I raise you this:

Opening an exotic car dealership in Spain, so you don't have to use a rental car company when you visit.
    I mean if you have billionaire money then fill your boots.

fact.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

People smoke less and less and that's largely because it's not allowed indoors anywhere. Not sure about stadiums but I doubt it's allowed.

When I first started coming here I knew a few people who smoked, though typically it was just a few hand-rolled cigs a day, after coffee and meals. Now, I don't know anyone who smokes. It may be more prevalent in some areas but I don't see much of it anymore.

As far as the drinking goes, I'd say people drink in moderation more - i.e. they may get tipsy but not drunk. Teenagers go through the same wild years as we did but seem to level off in their early 20s.

My wife's parents will have 1-2 fingers of wine with lunch every day and perhaps we'll have 2 bottles between 6-7 people for a Sunday lunch. Nothing wild.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

How is chauvinism a bad thing exactly? You are a man, aren't you?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Hahaha this is so true
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast