Quantcast
Megasquirt for engine swap? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Megasquirt for engine swap?

Default Megasquirt for engine swap?

Anyone here know much about Megasquirt? I'm going to be doing some ridiculous engine swaps in the future, and just trying to sort out the best way to run engine management. Seems like Megasquirt is a good option to run as a type of standalone controller, piggybacked off the main cars ECU so the gauges, TC, and electronics all still function properly. But everything I find online is either strictly about LS swaps, or same model engine swaps. But if I was going to say, swap a Toyota drivetrain, into a BMW body............. is that as simple as tapping the megasquirt into the correct BMW ECU pins?

Any potential links for gathering more information about this? Haven't had much luck yet. Next step is to just contact diyautotune directly.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Didn't really seem to fit under any of the sub forums in Performance. Mods feel free to move it if there is a better spot for this thread.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I've done a couple megasquirt installs in 944s. I just fired up my turbo engine project on the weekend with a complete standalone MS3X. It is a very powerful tool, but there is considerable learning needed unless someone has already done an install on the same engine. Fundamentally it's basically just a box with spark and injector outputs and a bunch of inputs to determine how exactly to fire the outputs. In most of the older cars that I've dealt with, there are 2 harnesses: the chassis harness and the engine harness. The chassis harness stays and the engine harness is replaced with the megasquirt wiring. There is an interface between the chassis harness where you can send and receive signals like temperature, tach, etc.. The other alternative is to leave the factory ECU and tap into the inputs and then switch the fuel injector output wires and use the MS for fuel only. That's an easy way to get started.

It's such a powerful computer, it's a bit overwhelming with all the possibilities. I'm getting the basics going before looking into launch control, traction control, flat shifts... the list goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've done a couple megasquirt installs in 944s. I just fired up my turbo engine project on the weekend with a complete standalone MS3X. It is a very powerful tool, but there is considerable learning needed unless someone has already done an install on the same engine. Fundamentally it's basically just a box with spark and injector outputs and a bunch of inputs to determine how exactly to fire the outputs. In most of the older cars that I've dealt with, there are 2 harnesses: the chassis harness and the engine harness. The chassis harness stays and the engine harness is replaced with the megasquirt wiring. There is an interface between the chassis harness where you can send and receive signals like temperature, tach, etc.. The other alternative is to leave the factory ECU and tap into the inputs and then switch the fuel injector output wires and use the MS for fuel only. That's an easy way to get started.

It's such a powerful computer, it's a bit overwhelming with all the possibilities. I'm getting the basics going before looking into launch control, traction control, flat shifts... the list goes on!
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like you're right down the street from me.

That's mainly what I'm looking for is to just have the megasquirt handle fuel and spark. Not building race cars or anything, just engine swaps for interesting projects.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I don't know how comfortable you are soldering on the circuit boards, but that should help guide your buying decision. I hate it, so I'd always go for the most assembled unit available. Soldering wires and dealing with the harness I'm confident with, but not the board. The other option is a microsquirt if you want something for a more simple engine and install. What engine are you thinking about putting it on?

My yellow 944 race car had an oil fire a couple years ago that burned up all the wiring and is the next candidate for a microsquirt install. But that one is a simple n/a 4 cylinder engine of antique design.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    I don't know how comfortable you are soldering on the circuit boards, but that should help guide your buying decision. I hate it, so I'd always go for the most assembled unit available. Soldering wires and dealing with the harness I'm confident with, but not the board. The other option is a microsquirt if you want something for a more simple engine and install. What engine are you thinking about putting it on?

My yellow 944 race car had an oil fire a couple years ago that burned up all the wiring and is the next candidate for a microsquirt install. But that one is a simple n/a 4 cylinder engine of antique design.
    I have no interest in cheaping out to the point I have to build the computer. I want a pre-assembled one. Same as you, I'm comfortable doing all the actual harness wiring.

First one will be either an Audi 2.7T or a Lexus 2GR-FSE(IS350 engine). So the Audi option would need to manage boost as well.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I like them. As long as you understand their limitations going in (and are skilled enough to wire a standalone), they do the job. My Mustang is running a microsquirt, Subaru will be on a microsquirt this summer, and my roommates car is on a MS3X.

Not sure about direct injection compatibility, so may want to look that up when thinking about the 2GRFSE.

My Ride
    is broken

Megasquirt is pretty decent these days and can run just about any motor thats not direct injected. In the latest revision they can do DBW as well.
    If you want i can help you plan it out or answer questions. I did a full MAF based sequential injection/ignition for my 240z.
    If I get crazy a Twin turbo 3UZ swap might be in my future.

You should also look at LINK+ ECU A little more money but they do have some pretty good features, cruise control

I don't think any aftermarket ecu can do direct injection yet since its a bit more complicated and varies wildly between manufactures. Also the factory ECU have gotten much better in terms of hackability and tuning options.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Megasquirt is pretty decent these days and can run just about any motor thats not direct injected. In the latest revision they can do DBW as well.
    If you want i can help you plan it out or answer questions. I did a full MAF based sequential injection/ignition for my 240z.
    If I get crazy a Twin turbo 3UZ swap might be in my future.

You should also look at LINK+ ECU A little more money but they do have some pretty good features, cruise control

I don't think any aftermarket ecu can do direct injection yet since its a bit more complicated and varies wildly between manufactures. Also the factory ECU have gotten much better in terms of hackability and tuning options.
    Using a factory ECU would be optimal if there was an easy way to piggyback it off the shell ECU.