Quantcast
Dyno Disaster - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dyno Disaster

Default Dyno Disaster

Went to a place that was supposed to have great reviews on google for their AWD Dyno. I took the day off work and was pretty excited to finally get my WHP and TQ numbers after my turbo install.

I get there at 10am and they told me that they will have to charge 1 hour labour to do a pre dyno inspection which i believe its mainly to check for leaks as they dont want fluids on their dyno. This I understand but to charge 1 hr labour is hefty. It brought the dyno total to approx a little over 300! At this point I have not paid for it yet.

After about 11am I start asking if its ready to get dynoed and they said not yet, my charge piping on my intercooler has come off. I asked them how did that happen and they gave me the run around about it might not have been on tight. It has never come off before and moments later I heard them say they were having issues finding a spot in the front to strap my car to and that the intercooling piping had come by from the straps.

They fixed the intercooling piping while it was on the dyno but then proceeded to dyno the car but they kept trying to re-calibrate the dyno but coudln't cause my car kept getting an EPC light and not getting full power to my wheels. At first they said its my ESP causing it but I don't have ESP as an option on my car. Then they said it was the tune but it wasn't. They finally scanned it and pulled the codes, it was a boost related code. Told them to take it for a ride on the street to see if its boosting correctly and after they did, it infact only boosted to 5psi which confirms that they were still dynoing the car with a boost leak that they caused.

So finally after spending 6 hrs there they fixed the my intercooling piping and charged me for for the Dyno. They tried to give me the run around about when i get my car fixed up i can come back and dyno. I scanned my car with VAGCOM after and no codes which confirms that them pulling my piping off was the cause of not being able to dyno it.

Waste of a day and money

UPDATE : they contacted me today and offered a refund! I was surprised
    Last edited by jabjab; 06-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.

My Ride
    changes daily :D

what shop? what kind of car? you can't leave out the important details.

Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what shop? what kind of car? you can't leave out the important details.
    Lakeview Automotive - MK1 Audi TT

Didn't appreciate how the guy at the front with the tattoo's was talking to me. Pretty much implying that my car isn't running right and that is why we are having the issues. There are a few good guys there but I would never go back.
    Last edited by jabjab; 06-12-2018 at 10:37 AM.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    Lakeview Automotive - MK1 Audi TT

Didn't appreciate how the guy at the front with the tattoo's was talking to me. Pretty much implying that my car isn't running right and that is why we are having the issues. There are a few good guys there but I would never go back.
    This place charged you $300.00 to setup your car on the dyno and make 3 power runs?

Quote Originally Posted by KRyn View Post
    This place charged you $300.00 to setup your car on the dyno and make 3 power runs?
    they ended up charging me only $134.xx and they didn't even get to get it going on the dyno. So I left with no dyno results and out money with a wasted day.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

What a bunch of amateurs. Should have just gone to Vex, a baseline dyno is $130.00.

What a bunch of amateurs. Should have just gone to Vex, a baseline dyno is $130.00.
    The funny thing is that they bashed Vex while I was there saying they charge all these set up and tear down fees etc etc. I don't know how Lakeview has so many good reviews...

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I came into this thread expecting an actual diaster like the car blew up, or drove right off the dyno and crashed into something. Disappointed A------ would not read again.

But shitty deal. As for reviews on Google. Take those with a grain of salt. Most are faked or by their own family/friends praising them and not actual customers. Its all part of the game.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

The funny thing is that they bashed Vex while I was there saying they charge all these set up and tear down fees etc etc. I don't know how Lakeview has so many good reviews...
    Maybe there is some truth to what they said.. If you look HERE it states a setup and take down fee but it is still way cheaper than what Lake View tried to charge you. I have never been charged a setup fee when I had either of my last two cars put on any dyno, things changed.

I think the set up fees only apply if you're going to tune a car on the dyno, shouldn't be on just baseline dyno but I could have misunderstood that when reading it.

there is also this, which is cheaper, don't know if anyone has had personal experience with them:

http://www.airboytuning.com/rates
    Last edited by jabjab; 06-12-2018 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

I think the set up fees only apply if you're going to tune a car on the dyno, shouldn't be on just baseline dyno but I could have misunderstood that when reading it.

there is also this, which is cheaper, don't know if anyone has had personal experience with them:

http://www.airboytuning.com/rates
    Airboy is an employee at Vex now and he brought his dyno with him. Sunny dynoed my STI way back in the day and it cost me $120.00 cash.

Airboy is an employee at Vex now and he brought his dyno with him. Sunny dynoed my STI way back in the day and it cost me $120.00 cash.
    Just a minor correction; while our operations (Airboy Tuning, Vex Performance) are quite integrated, they are separate. Independent contractor that pays rent to house the dyno would be more accurate

Sounds like Airboy is a good place to go, will try to schedule my car in with them.

Calgary is full of incompetent dyno guys and tuners. not one place i would trust with my car. I use the americans that specialize in my platform, not the locals that calim they know it all and can work on anything. lakeviews dyno day was embarasing. what i have come to expect from our local talent.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Quote Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
    Just a minor correction; while our operations (Airboy Tuning, Vex Performance) are quite integrated, they are separate. Independent contractor that pays rent to house the dyno would be more accurate
    My apologies, you learn something new every day.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

That sounds annoying for sure haha... What about Classic Performance? i was in there the other day and saw they do the "Reality Check Package" for around $130 i think, just as a baseline Dyno to get your HP. Anyone been there with muscle car?

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    That sounds annoying for sure haha... What about Classic Performance? i was in there the other day and saw they do the "Reality Check Package" for around $130 i think, just as a baseline Dyno to get your HP. Anyone been there with muscle car?
    Carmine is a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Calgary is full of incompetent dyno guys and tuners. not one place i would trust with my car. I use the americans that specialize in my platform, not the locals that calim they know it all and can work on anything. lakeviews dyno day was embarasing. what i have come to expect from our local talent.
    So my experience just isn't a one off bad one? Sounds like their "dyno days" aren't the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    Very annoying. I had scheduled other things during the day that I had to get done as I don't get many days off during the work week and wasn't able to get them done. At least they fixed it but my time is also worth something and they should have been upfront about what was happening.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Airboy Tuning is great. Sunny did an awesome job on my 2008 Forester XT back when I had it.

- - - Updated - - -

Airboy Tuning is great. Sunny did an awesome job on a custom tune on my 2008 Forester XT back when I had it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast