Quantcast
Android Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I will wait for the announcement of Pixel 2 on Oct 4th to figure out if I will get the X.
    Chances are it's basically will be an upgraded G6 or gimped V30 with pure Android O for the Pixel XL 2.

Pixel 2 will just be Pixel from last year with updated internals by HTC.

Nothing exciting here. I'm more excited about the LG V30 than Pixel.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-16-2017 at 10:16 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://www.androidauthority.com/goog...-images-801629

Even with edge to edge screen up front, looks boring and a bit of price increase for Pixel this year.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-19-2017 at 08:14 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Even with edge to edge screen up front, looks boring and a bit of price increase for Pixel this year.
    $849 USD is currently $1042 though which is less than the current Pixel XL, so we will have to see how hard they will dick us. At $649 again on the normal pixel, we will see if they will make it $800 cdn as it should be. Dollar is much improved over this time last year.

I think I am more excited about the google home mini though so I can get a couple to put around the house to control my lights
    http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19...ini-exclusive/

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Just picked up an HTC 10. Has Quick Charge 3.0 and uses a USB Type C cable but I've read you have to get the specific HTC OEM one only as other Type C's are built different and caused the phone to overheat? This really sucks as I've had many HTC phones and built up a collection of wall plugs and USB cables
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

They should be even cheaper if they are true to the exchange rate, and given that base storage is higher. The XL looks nothing like last year. The regular Pixel will be more similar to last year (kind of like iPhone 8 vs iPhone X strategy).

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Just picked up an HTC 10. Has Quick Charge 3.0 and uses a USB Type C cable but I've read you have to get the specific HTC OEM one only as other Type C's are built different and caused the phone to overheat? This really sucks as I've had many HTC phones and built up a collection of wall plugs and USB cables
    Usually quick charge is only available when pairing the special cable with the proper wall outlet plug. You should be able to use your old stuff, it'll just charge slower.

As I've been pointing out to people, even my OP5 charges really quick on a 2.5amp car charger or using a regular iphone wall outlet plug.

I bet the Aukey ones work unless HTC has done something weird:

https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Charger-...ds=aukey+usb+c

Their chargers quick charge charges my iPad and Pixel, and the Pixel even identifies it as a quick charger. I don't need any special cables, I just picked quality ones with hundreds of 5-star reviews.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I bet the Aukey ones work unless HTC has done something weird:

Their chargers quick charge charges my iPad and Pixel, and the Pixel even identifies it as a quick charger. I don't need any special cables, I just picked quality ones with hundreds of 5-star reviews.

http://phandroid.com/2016/05/18/htc-...pe-c-incident/

Seems like they did purposely so you are forced to buy HTC accessories?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

http://phandroid.com/2016/05/18/htc-...pe-c-incident/

Seems like they did purposely so you are forced to buy HTC accessories?
    I'm sure there are 3rd party ones that work. There are lots of good third party Apple cables, so if they can get around Apple's trickery, I'm sure they could do the same for HTC. My Pixel and 6P technically required special cables too and the quality aftermarket ones worked just fine. If you're really worried about it though you can always stick to OEM, nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:41 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    HTC halts trading of shares in advance of tomorrow's big announcement. What do you guys think of this? I would have preferred LG's smartphone division as their in-house manufacturer but that's wishful thinking.
    They can't do worse than what they did with Motorola haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Hopefully they don't lose another $10B or whatever it was Motorola put out some good phones though under Google.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Any good Android phones out right now that aren't plagued with problems common enough to be considered "common issues"?

Everything up to my Nexus 5 was great, and I stuck with Nexus phones thinking they'd have the best support and quickest bug fixes. But in 18 months of ownership, I had the Nexus 6P bootloop issue (at 11 months, mainboard replaced under warranty) and now the early shutdown battery issue (started at 15 months, no longer under warranty). My wife's Nexus 5X just got hit with the bootloop issue while on vacation at 22 months. These issues have hundreds of pages of forum posts devoted to them and class action lawsuits filed in some cases.

I thought we'd get Pixels for our next phones, but not if I'm going to end up with 2 $1000 bricks before 2 years is over. Other options with jelly scrolling, app crashes, red screens, and random reboots all sound fantastic

Any reasonably problem-free options to save me from having to jump to Apple?
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

The Pixels are pretty bulletproof, have no more issues than you can find with any phone if you go digging for isolated problems, and I haven't had the slightest problem with mine (XL) since I got it when they were first released in 2016 - it's only gotten faster with successive OS updates. It's only ever been rebooted when an OS update requires it and it never slows down. Battery life is still as good as they day I got it (2+ days depending on usage). Google also tells you up front how long they will support any given phone with guaranteed OS updates. That's what I'm getting again - it's best phone experience I've ever had and I have tried almost every brand now.

These days you can Google any phone you want followed by the word "issues" and you'll always find something. Doesn't matter if it's an iPhone, Pixel, Galaxy, etc. they are all super high margin mass produced goods that are cheaper to replace than implement better QC.

The Galaxy S8 is also awesome, and has no common issues.

If I were you I would wait for the new Pixels, they are getting announced on October 4. If you buy directly from Google, if anything does go wrong, no matter how minor, they just send you a brand new phone for the first year and you can extend that if you want.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-20-2017 at 04:03 PM.

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Any good Android phones out right now that aren't plagued with problems common enough to be considered "common issues"?

Everything up to my Nexus 5 was great, and I stuck with Nexus phones thinking they'd have the best support and quickest bug fixes. But in 18 months of ownership, I had the Nexus 6P bootloop issue (at 11 months, mainboard replaced under warranty) and now the early shutdown battery issue (started at 15 months, no longer under warranty). My wife's Nexus 5X just got hit with the bootloop issue while on vacation at 22 months. These issues have hundreds of pages of forum posts devoted to them and class action lawsuits filed in some cases.

I thought we'd get Pixels for our next phones, but not if I'm going to end up with 2 $1000 bricks before 2 years is over. Other options with jelly scrolling, app crashes, red screens, and random reboots all sound fantastic

Any reasonably problem-free options to save me from having to jump to Apple?
    A friend at work had the early battery shut down problem on his 6P and despite being out of warranty Google sent him an Pixel XL as a replacement. Have you tried pushing the issue with Google?

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ht..._medium=Social

google aquires HTC pixel division for $1.1B

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    A friend at work had the early battery shut down problem on his 6P and despite being out of warranty Google sent him an Pixel XL as a replacement. Have you tried pushing the issue with Google?
    I bought it through Koodo because it was ~$150 cheaper than direct through Google
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I bought it through Koodo because it was ~$150 cheaper than direct through Google
    Have you called google though? I picked up a pixel from fido and am not longer a fido customer. Google is giving me a warranty replacement. Seriously. Try and try a couple of times. Some reps are a-holes, some really want to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    Have you called google though? I picked up a pixel from fido and am not longer a fido customer. Google is giving me a warranty replacement. Seriously. Try and try a couple of times. Some reps are a-holes, some really want to help you out.
    This. At least try it. Google has the best customer service I have ever experienced, but there's always a chance you get a disgruntled rep. I assumed this had already been tried but if not it's an easy phone call.

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast