Quantcast
Fly in/out Oil jobs picking back up? What's it like? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fly in/out Oil jobs picking back up? What's it like?

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

My FIFO isn't on a schedule, but I definitely have much more time at home vs. working in the field

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I've done 10/4, 9/5, 7/7, 14/7, 14/14 and 24/4 at some point or another. I did it when I was single, didn't own a house and didn't have a dog; I wouldn't do it now that I have a dog.

From what I saw, it was pretty tough for the guys who were married/had kids. I also found that I was missing a lot of stuff with friends since no one stops their lives while you're gone for 14 days.

It was great for getting experience and making some good money when the rest of the market wasn't so hot; I stopped after about 4 years. No issues with staying in camps, the ones I was in were always nice.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Thanks for the info guys, lots of good points.

Couple follow up questions I should have asked - Were any of your coworkers from other parts of Canada? Trying to gauge if many companies are willing to work on travel costs, as this would be mainly so my SO and I could move back to NS lol
    Also wondering how the internet in camp is, cuz video gamez

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

24/4, that's da real MVP.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post

Couple follow up questions I should have asked - Were any of your coworkers from other parts of Canada? Trying to gauge if many companies are willing to work on travel costs, as this would be mainly so my SO and I could move back to NS lol
    I worked with people from every province. Some got flown to a central hub (Edmonton or Calgary) and had to find their own way after that, some got flown to home on the company dime. It all depended on position and what they could negotiate.

I never had any issues with internet aside from it being slow since everyone was logging on at the same time. I don't know if it's changed, but I doubt these places are running fibre to get rid of overloaded copper.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Never did the shift work. Wife was very clear it would mean divorce. I appreciated the clarity.
    You just picked the wrong time in the marriage to do it.

5-10 years in. She would pack your bag for you.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    I worked with people from every province. Some got flown to a central hub (Edmonton or Calgary) and had to find their own way after that, some got flown to home on the company dime. It all depended on position and what they could negotiate.

I never had any issues with internet aside from it being slow since everyone was logging on at the same time. I don't know if it's changed, but I doubt these places are running fibre to get rid of overloaded copper.
    Same thing for me too. Flights were out of Cgy or Edm had to find your way there. Some guys I worked with flew from as far as Ottawa.

Never had issues with internet myself, but I was just video calling etc. Rarely did I do anything other than sleep or watch some TV in my room. Sleeping by 8:30pm.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You just picked the wrong time in the marriage to do it.

5-10 years in. She would pack your bag for you.
    Exactly. And I believe it's exactly why we are still together lol

- - - Updated - - -

Ya you're on your own doing that, most places don't pay for your flight back there anymore, in fact I haven't heard of any in the last 5 years.

Get to edmontonnir calgary on your own dime and go from there is the only way I know of.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

What is your actual skill/what jobs are you looking to do?

Some positions are in desperate need for guys and you'll have more negotiating power than something which has an overload of guys who're qualified

I was at Cenovus Christina Lake last year for 9 days and the internet seemed pretty fast, but I believe that's a fairly new camp (at least the part i was in)

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Same thing for me too. Flights were out of Cgy or Edm had to find your way there. Some guys I worked with flew from as far as Ottawa.

Never had issues with internet myself, but I was just video calling etc. Rarely did I do anything other than sleep or watch some TV in my room. Sleeping by 8:30pm.
    I worked with a guy who commuted from Serbia on a 7/7 rotation. Yes.. Serbia!!! He did that for like 3 years before moving to Calgary.

Most guys on my crew live in Western Canada now. But they're from all over the world. Love the people here tho.... there are some real characters.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post

Some positions are in desperate need for guys and you'll have more negotiating power than something which has an overload of guys who're qualified
    Along with this, it matters who you're working for.

Getting hired with a contractor? I doubt you're getting a flight allowance unless it's construction work. Maintenance work? Not a chance.

Getting hired by cnrl, suncor etc? Flight allowance is possible.

In either example, I highly doubt you're getting a flight allowance after being hired, working for a period of time and then deciding to move across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    I worked with a guy who commuted from Serbia on a 7/7 rotation. Yes.. Serbia!!! He did that for like 3 years before moving to Calgary.

Most guys on my crew live in Western Canada now. But they're from all over the world. Love the people here tho.... there are some real characters.
    I think my back neighbour was doing that to Dubai.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post

I was at Cenovus Christina Lake last year for 9 days and the internet seemed pretty fast, but I believe that's a fairly new camp (at least the part i was in)
    I'm a power engineer, I know my worth

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

7/7 would be nice, I'd happily do that again for regular life.
    15/6 is trash for lifestyle but makes for good money.
    14/14 I'd probably do as well if I was single and would spend a lot of the year doing vacations and travelling as much as I can. In a relationship it's hard though if your partner doesn't have a similar schedule.
    5/2 is also pretty shitty. Not much OT and gone the whole week and only back for 2 days. Really didn't enjoy.

My Ride
    changes every year

I'm a power engineer, I know my worth
    So do you have a job coming up or are you just asking in case somethjng pops up?

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    So do you have a job coming up or are you just asking in case somethjng pops up?
    I was asking just to see how people felt about it, I knew a few guys before that did it with varying degrees of success, but that was a long time ago and I wasn't sure how the landscape has changed.
    As I mentioned I was lookin into this to be able to move back to NS and keep a nice salary for a while, even now in a non-O&G role I make probably 3x what the average wage would be for me if I took a local job in NS. The pay is shit back there lol.
    From what I remember there were a couple of companies doing the 'fly anywhere' thing, Conoco and Suncor, but I don't know how that dumb fort mac law to prevent camps within a certain radius affected those companies.

Good luck. Edmonton and Calgary are usually the only option for flights now. They have cut back hard in that area, Suncor backpedalled hard when oil dropped, right after they had announced flights to Kelowna. But I mean if you're willing to fund your own return trip from Edmonton or Calgary, it's doable. I think MEG still does flights to Kelowna and maybe Vancouver.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I know of at least one oil sands company with an agreement with the CRA that allows you to claim a certain amount of transportation costs against your income.

Example:

Living on Vancouver Island and flying from there to a hub city (Edm or Cal). The cost of that flight is open to a percentage to be claimed against your income.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    Along with this, it matters who you're working for.

Getting hired with a contractor? I doubt you're getting a flight allowance unless it's construction work. Maintenance work? Not a chance.

Getting hired by cnrl, suncor etc? Flight allowance is possible.

In either example, I highly doubt you're getting a flight allowance after being hired, working for a period of time and then deciding to move across the country.
    I was a contractor for CNRL and flew in and out of Horizon from Calgary in 2019. My flights were paid for by CNRL, and my rotation was 4/3. I didn't mind that rotation, TBH.

I got so fat, even though I went to the gym every night after work lol! It's just too easy to grab snacks and eat constantly haha.

I don't think I'd do it again since I now have a kid. Looks good on the resume, and the pay wasn't bad, though.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    I was a contractor for CNRL and flew in and out of Horizon from Calgary in 2019. My flights were paid for by CNRL, and my rotation was 4/3. I didn't mind that rotation, TBH.

I got so fat, even though I went to the gym every night after work lol! It's just too easy to grab snacks and eat constantly haha.

I don't think I'd do it again since I now have a kid. Looks good on the resume, and the pay wasn't bad, though.
    Yes, your flights were paid for by CNRL from Calgary to Horizon, I think they're still flying with Canadian North. Or are you saying you lived out of province and they paid for your flight to your connecting hub?
    All employers pay for your flights from their hubs(YYC/YEG) to site if it's a FIFO position.

OP is looking for a job with a flight allowance to travel across the country, what sounds like moving after getting said job. I'm very doubtful he'll be able to secure that unless he's super specialized. I'd be willing to bet if OP was upfront about moving so far from a hub city after gaining employment, likely give themselves less of chance to get said position.

The employer willing to add a flight allowance however far down the road to accommodate the added flight cost living across the country. Not impossible, but imo very wishful thinking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast