Quantcast
LF: recommendation for photo editing monitor - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LF: recommendation for photo editing monitor

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default LF: recommendation for photo editing monitor

Just saw this one "on sale" in my daily Besbuy spam, would this be decent?

Asus VZ27VQ

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...210119&jb=1381

Any other recommendations in the $250-$350 zone?

What did you end up getting? What is everyone using?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I use a few NEC PA242W's, they are top-notch monitors and can be had fairly cheaply on the used market.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What did you end up getting? What is everyone using?
    I decided on a iMac. I just haven't been able to afford it yet, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    I use a few NEC PA242W's, they are top-notch monitors and can be had fairly cheaply on the used market.
    Besides no 4K, the monitors are still very capable and going strong? I never thought about older monitors. I guess not a lot has changed in tech besides resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I decided on a iMac. I just haven't been able to afford it yet, lol.
    lol I've been wanting to get a good monitor for years.

I need to get a monitor before winter. It's just gonna be editing for the next few months. Currently on my list:
    NEC PA271Q
    Asus PA329Q
    BenQ SW271
    Any other recommendations?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Have had a NEC for...7 years now. I hope it never dies.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Besides no 4K, the monitors are still very capable and going strong? I never thought about older monitors. I guess not a lot has changed in tech besides resolution?
    They're pretty bulletproof and are designed to be workhorses. They're big and bulky. I assume they are not particularly good for video games, but that's not usually what you buy photo-editing monitors for!

NEC does make a current 4K version, but it'll set you back $3000USD. BenQ makes a 27" 4K editing monitor that's a bit more reasonable around the $1500CAD mark.

I use a NEC PA271W. When it dies I will buy the NEC PA272W or whatever it's successor is. Pretty much the gold standard these days without getting into ridiculous territory. They are the best bang for the buck for a truly professional, hardware color managed solution.

The PA271W's are not great for games but the PA272W's have way less latency and should be alright. I game on my PA271 all the time and I'm sure my no-longer-teenage reflexes are worse than any monitor lag.

I also wouldn't suggest a 4K monitor. Lots of stuff just doesn't scale well, and you need $1000-2000++ of video card if you want to play any games at good settings outside of your photo work. It's also really hard to judge sharpening on a 4K monitor. Stick with 27" and 1440P if you can.

If you are just a casual user, don't really make prints, don't really care about perfect color, etc. you can save a lot of money and just buy any decent IPS panel and a calibration tool. Consider the end use of your work when deciding if you want to spend $500 or $1500+ on a monitor.

A long time ago I used to think a $600 Dell monitor with occasional calibration was good, then I got the NEC and it was night & day, at least for me personally.

Didn't know about the sharpening issue with 4K monitors. A quick search says it's more about the DPI than resolution. Gonna do a little more reading. Thanks.

It seems like I can't go wrong with NEC. Just trying to decide about 4K though. I've been told I shouldn't be editing video in 4K anyways.

Are you guys using a colorimeter or spectrophotometer or both?

Didn't know about the sharpening issue with 4K monitors. A quick search says it's more about the DPI than resolution. Gonna do a little more reading. Thanks.

It seems like I can't go wrong with NEC. Just trying to decide about 4K though. I've been told I shouldn't be editing video in 4K anyways.

Are you guys using a colorimeter or spectrophotometer or both?
    You can buy the NEC with or without a calibration puck. Their software allows you to use various pucks that aren't theirs, and all they do is re-brand X-rite products, so you can buy one yourself if you find a better deal.

The workaround for 4K monitor sharpening is to zoom in to 200% or so, or lower the resolution of the monitor to reduce dpi - both of which are less than ideal IMO. Also, lots of other programs do not scale well with 4K. The sweet spot for most people is 27" and 1440P / 2.7K. Everything supports that resolution, you don't have to use any workarounds, and if you play games you don't need $2000+ of video card for high settings.

To my knowledge NEC does not make a 27" 4K monitor in their PA series with a LUT, you need to move up to 32" for that and it's around $4,250 CAD. It's also discontinued I believe so they might have a new one coming.

They make cheaper 4K monitors in their EA series that include a calibration puck, but they do not have LUTs and are not wide gamut - that may not be an issue depending on what your usage is, but I'd take a better 2.7K monitor over a cheaper 4K monitor any day of the week.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-07-2018 at 11:18 AM.

I'm pretty set on a NEC. Thanks guys.

Where did everyone get their NEC from? Black Friday is coming up.

I'm pretty set on a NEC. Thanks guys.

Keep an eye on B&H in the states - even with the exchange rate, shipping is free to Canada and you might find it's cheaper than here since it's not a monitor you will find at big box stores like BestBuy or MemoryExpress. I bought my PA271W from B&H but admittedly the exchange rate wasn't quite this bad at the time.

B&H actually lists the PA272W as discontinued right now which I did not expect to see, so there might be a new one coming. Wouldn't hurt to shoot NEC an email and get the scoop.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Kijiji. $100 apiece from a day trader that wanted to buy gaming monitors for faster refresh rate or something. There's deals to be had if you're willing to wait for them.

Kijiji. $100 apiece from a day trader that wanted to buy gaming monitors for faster refresh rate or something. There's deals to be had if you're willing to wait for them.
    I think he means the PA series w/spectraview & puck - or is that what you somehow found for $100?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I think he means the PA series w/spectraview & puck - or is that what you somehow found for $100?
    PA242W's with Spectraview, no puck but Spectraview works fine with my Colorvision puck.

Obviously not saying that's typical pricing, but generation-old editing monitors tend to be sold fairly cheaply compared to MSRP.

PA242W's with Spectraview, no puck but Spectraview works fine with my Colorvision puck.

Obviously not saying that's typical pricing, but generation-old editing monitors tend to be sold fairly cheaply compared to MSRP.
    That's an awesome deal, good find.

Keep an eye on B&H in the states - even with the exchange rate, shipping is free to Canada and you might find it's cheaper than here since it's not a monitor you will find at big box stores like BestBuy or MemoryExpress. I bought my PA271W from B&H but admittedly the exchange rate wasn't quite this bad at the time.

B&H actually lists the PA272W as discontinued right now which I did not expect to see, so there might be a new one coming. Wouldn't hurt to shoot NEC an email and get the scoop.
    No duty/custom fees?

Good find but I don't think I'll get that lucky.

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

I picked up this guy a few years back. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55684

No duty/custom fees?
    If there are are, you pay them beforehand with full transparency to B&H, then when the item arrives you don't pay anything.

For example if I look right now, on a PA272W with spectraview, shipping is $30 (apparently their free shipping over $99 does not apply to monitors...that is news to me but that's pretty cheap), duty is only $1.00 and GST is the rest ($107.48) which you'd be paying regardless. So there isnt much for unexpected costs - duty is zero and brokerage is $1.00, so for whatever reason it looks like they are exempt. The exchange rate is the only thing you need to really watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakalimasu View Post
    I picked up this guy a few years back. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55684
    How is the BenQ holding up? My end game is printed work so I'm only interested in their new SW271 and SW320, both are 99% Adobe RGB and 4K. It seems like NEC is a standard so I'm wary of BenQ and Asus at the moment.

If there are are, you pay them beforehand with full transparency to B&H, then when the item arrives you don't pay anything.

For example if I look right now, on a PA272W with spectraview, shipping is $30 (apparently their free shipping over $99 does not apply to monitors...that is news to me but that's pretty cheap), duty is only $1.00 and GST is the rest ($107.48) which you'd be paying regardless. So there isnt much for unexpected costs - duty is zero and brokerage is $1.00, so for whatever reason it looks like they are exempt. The exchange rate is the only thing you need to really watch.
    I added the NEC I want to B&H's cart, I'm seeing $35.42 shipping, $85.44 duties, $71.20 GST and $1 brokerage. What's really annoying is that they charge GST in USD. As of right now, it is cheaper in Canada but I'll keep my eye out a Black Friday deal.
    Last edited by sl888; 11-16-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast