The BBQ and Smoking Thread - Page 45 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 45 of 144 FirstFirst ... 35 44 45 46 55 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBQ and Smoking Thread

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Nice, I want to get into char Siu.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It was definitely a crowd pleaser.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Any reason you used tenderloin instead of shoulder?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Any reason you used tenderloin instead of shoulder?
    Because my wife went and bought a bunch of tenderloins “because she likes them better” then dumped them on my lap yesterday morning and said bbq something. She called them “roasts” lol.

Not as juicy as they could have been if shoulders obviously but I made up for it with lots of Smokey char siu flavor.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Question for the bbq enthusiasts - if you were rebuilding your entire backyard grill/bbq/smoker setup from scratch, what would you buy?

I'm moving soon and my 10 year old Costco-special natural gas grill likely won't make the move. I'm considering alternatives to a full sized propane/NG grill as I'd like to dabble in smoking, but also because 9/10 times I turned on the grill it was only to use the infrared sear burner.

Options I'm open to (and various combinations thereof):
    - BGE / Akorn
    - Pellet grill / smoker (Costco is clearing out a Louisiana grills model at the moment)
    - Northfire infrared broiler
    - Electric vertical smoker
    - Weber or Napoleon NG grill (one that will last longer than 10 years)
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I would go separate smoker & bbq personally smoking on your grill is an ok way to get your feet wet but imo can’t compare to a true smoker.

Napoleon for grill is my pick

I really like my Bradley digital for an electric smoker, only complaint is it could be a bit hotter and I wouldn’t do the 6 rack next time due to lack of control of temperature in the vertical column. Bottom is substantially hotter than the top which makes the extra 2 racks pretty useless.

I would like a big cast iron offset smoker one day for bigger cooks, I kindof see this as a supplement to my Bradley though as electrical vertical is awesome for convenience.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

I'm a fan of the kamado styles. I have a BGE. If I were to do it again, I'd get a bigger one....an XL.

If I REALLY had the budget, I'd get a komodo Kamado. Fucking love those things.

Then I use a Weber kettle for regular grilling (which I don't do much nowadays).

I have a Northfire for searing steaks. I'm not super happy with the northfire build quality, and would likely figure out a way to get an otto wild instead.

Overall I'm happy with my setup. Although I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a pellet smoker for convenience.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Did a rack of beef short rib last weekend, first time doing them but they turned out decent

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I'd get a smaller Weber or Napoleon NG or propane grill then a separate smoker. The smoker would depend on what I planed to do the most of. For example, if I was doing a lot of sausages or single roasts I would likely stick with some version of a cabinet style smoker; either the Bradley or a propane one. If I was mostly doing multiple roasts or many racks of ribs I'd probably do a pellet smoker like the Louisiana or Treger. If money wasn't an option I'd get a Yoder or a BGE because fuck it why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

napoleon over weber every day of the week. If you have a tight budget I don't mind Weber on the lower price points but if you want quality napoleon is significantly better.

If costco still has the Louisiana grills you should buy them. I've seen prices in some cities drop to 499 for the LG 900.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

If I REALLY had the budget, I'd get a komodo Kamado. Fucking love those things.

Oh man those things are so damm nice. I wish I had the money and the space for one. I used to go drool on their website looking at the different tile options.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    napoleon over weber every day of the week. If you have a tight budget I don't mind Weber on the lower price points but if you want quality napoleon is significantly better.

If costco still has the Louisiana grills you should buy them. I've seen prices in some cities drop to 499 for the LG 900.
    I've owned both the Napoleon Apollo smoker and Weber smokey mountain and found the Weber to be much better.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
    Oh man those things are so damm nice. I wish I had the money and the space for one. I used to go drool on their website looking at the different tile options.
    Yup. Our dollar killed my plans. I'm too cheap now. Plus, you have to basically make it part of an overall landscaping plan, lol

My Ride
    *The First*

You talking gas grills? Fuck off. They're both simply excellent with tradeoffs so small it's up to the buyer to prioritize.
    A Weber Summit is a miraculous grill. Mine has taken a shit kicking for about 15 years without a lick of damage or wear. I'd expect the comparable Napoleon to be the same.

If your talking smokers, then fuck back on. I have no valuable insight, there.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    You talking gas grills? Fuck off. They're both simply excellent with tradeoffs so small it's up to the buyer to prioritize.
    A Weber Summit is a miraculous grill. Mine has taken a shit kicking for about 15 years without a lick of damage or wear. I'd expect the comparable Napoleon to be the same.

If your talking smokers, then fuck back on. I have no valuable insight, there.
    LOL weber are a peace of crap. That doesnt mean people dont enjoy their weber and that they arent a good bbq but if you get into comparing quality and spec then napoleon will win every day of the week.

And to be super critical I think you could argue weber is as good or better with bbqs in the $1000 or less range but as you get into the higher price points napoleon all the way.

Maybe it was a different story 15 yrs ago when you bought yours but if your buying a weber over a napoleon its because your a cheap bastard.

My Ride
    ute

LOL weber are a peace of crap. That doesnt mean people dont enjoy their weber and that they arent a good bbq but if you get into comparing quality and spec then napoleon will win every day of the week.

And to be super critical I think you could argue weber is as good or better with bbqs in the $1000 or less range but as you get into the higher price points napoleon all the way.

Maybe it was a different story 15 yrs ago when you bought yours but if your buying a weber over a napoleon its because your a cheap bastard.
    Napoleons are decent consumer grade grills.

Bit if you really want to avoid being cheap...grillworks or kalamazoo

Napoleons are decent consumer grade grills.

Bit if you really want to avoid being cheap...grillworks or kalamazoo
    hah yeah napoleon would be a consumer grade grill. The average person struggles to spend $1700 on a bbq. I couldnt imagine the $17k usd for some of those Kalamazoos.

I'd take an outdoor kitchen from bull bbq then the kalamazoos in those price ranges.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Jesus. It's about time to replace my 16 year old fiesta. Will be staying three digits. You guys are nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

hah yeah napoleon would be a consumer grade grill. The average person struggles to spend $1700 on a bbq. I couldnt imagine the $17k usd for some of those Kalamazoos.

I'd take an outdoor kitchen from bull bbq then the kalamazoos in those price ranges.
    I don't look at any of them, ever. That's how you go down the road of "rationalizing a purchase". And I can have no part of that.

I don't know about the latest gen of Webers, but my old Weber Genesis held heat and got up to temp way better than my current Napolean.

Page 45 of 144 FirstFirst ... 35 44 45 46 55 ... LastLast