Quantcast
Max $60k budget, which SUV to buy? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Max $60k budget, which SUV to buy?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Gah! WAGON > SUV 100 times out of 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Based on what I have read and watched, you basically have 5 models that are direct competitors:

- Audi Q5
    - Volvo XC90
    - Acura RDX
    - MB GLC300
    - BMW X3
    The XC60 would be the Volvo model for that size class.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Didnt Volvo end up being the least reliable in one of the JD Power tests?

Im moving to a 2020 4runner, but admittedly want more of a truck feel than a raised car which most of those small ones are.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah not many SUVs are body-on-frame like the 4R.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I miss when the exploder was body on frame. Those were great.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I miss when the exploder was body on frame. Those were great.
    You were like five years old.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You were like five years old.
    Best years of my life
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Did I miss a requirement for new? If not, 2014/2015 LX570 and use the $10k left to build it for overland.
    Edit: saw the MY requirement. I wouldn’t worry about warranty though on the Land Cruiser

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

So I managed to drive 4 of the vehicles I was looking at this weekend. Drove the Audi Q5, Acura RDX, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (5.7L Hemi) and a Grand Cherokee Limited X (3.6L Pentastar). There are definitely lots of pluses and minuses to each.

Audi Q5
    - Liked the in dash navigation option with Google Earth and the option to zoom the gauges in and out to give a bigger map
    - The surround view camera system with the option to select a main camera view besides rear was nice and definitely helped in the tight parking lot at the dealer
    - The adjustable seat front was nice, if you are taller you can definitely tell the difference
    - Wasn't a huge fan of the climate control setup, the toggle switches required me to turn my wrist over or push forward and up so my nail didn't slip on them
    - There isn't really anywhere to rest your left arm while driving, but the center console adjustability is nice
    - The controls for the screen are in front of the shifter, so you are reaching past it to manipulate the touch pad and wheel, shifter is a bit unconventional, but it didn't take long to get used to it
    - It did seem a bit less responsive than the RDX
    - Seat comfort was nice, felt like a bit less bolstering than the RDX, bit the drivers side felt roomier
    - A few gimmicky things that I did like were the heated and cooled cup holders and the Audi ring puddle lights

Acura RDX A-Spec
    - Definitely the sportiest SUV I drove, can see myself racking up a few speeding tickets in this
    - Felt the most responsive, even more than the Hemi in the Jeep
    - Seat bolstering was nice, very little leaning in corners, but the drivers side in general felt a bit tight. Will need to fiddle with the seat settings more on the next test drive, also I could stand to lose 20lbs
    - The main display screen is situated at a good height and is split to allow two things to be viewed at once, but no option for a surround view camera on the A-Spec
    - I was warned that there had been negative reviews about Acura's touch interface, but it was pretty easy to pick up and well placed so you can rest your hand right next to it while driving, like the Audi, it supports writing recognition and voice recognition for maps
    - The shifer is also very new to me, but it doesn't take that long to adjust to it
    - Has a more traditional set of buttons for climate control and radio tuning/volume
    - Sound system was the best out of all the vehicles driven, Audi was essentially tied though
    - Liked the large sun roof with the option to choose exactly where the shade opens or closes to, but the control were a bit trickier to reach just based on placement
    - Acura does include some things as A-Spec standard that Audi is charging for, such as the driver assistance and safety items

Jeep Grand Cherokee
    - Drove both the 5.7L Hemi and the 3.6L Pentastar, didn't feel a whole lot of difference between them to be honest, despite the HP differences
    - The Jeep had the biggest feeling front seating are out of all driven
    - The shifter was the most traditional out of all of them, but there was no touch pad to control the screen and it required physical touch on the screen to manipulate, the screen was also smaller than both the Audi and Acura and required a bit of reach to use
    - The dash was fully digital and had the speed read out in the center, something that the Acrua and Audi did not have, but I like
    - I found the brake assist to be extremely sensitive backing up, to the point when I was having to push through it to park when I knew I had no obstructions. I guess there is a setting for this, but even the park sensors were lighting up with rain on them
    - There was a bit more road noise compared to the Audi and Acrua, and a bit more in Trailhawk compared to the Limited, but not enough for it to be a deciding factor
    - Compared to the Audi and Acura, the Jeep pricing seemed to be a bit steep

Have also decided that having a HUD isn't needed after hearing what the windshield costs to replace on cars that have them. Small (and probably ridiculous) irritations were the cheap feeling of the of the Audi blind spot monitoring system, no hands free trunk opening on the Jeep or Acura, badging colors on the Acura (why have chrome rear badges when all the rest of your trim is black?) and the fact that I don't think you can get the surround view camera on the A-Spec RDX. It was interesting though that Acura and Audi had no issues handing over the keys for a solo test drive and Jeep wanted to accompany me.

Acura also has Acura Link and over the air updates for software, which seem like it would save a bit of time. Apparently Jeep has an app, but it can't be used in Canada yet?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Thank you for the detailed write up, The Cherokee is still on my list as it has the tow capacity I would be needing as you had mentioned. I really appreciate the info.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    Thank you for the detailed write up, The Cherokee is still on my list as it has the tow capacity I would be needing as you had mentioned. I really appreciate the info.
    No worries. I’m probably going to drive the GLC300 and XC60 next weekend and then take the RDX for an overnight test drive.

Keep in mind that the payload on the GC is 1,050lbs. So even if you can tow 6,500-7,200lbs, you’ll probably be hitting payload pretty fast.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Audi Q5
    - A few gimmicky things that I did like were the heated and cooled cup holders and the Audi ring puddle lights
    Puddle lights for Acura are a $10 mod on AliExpress.

My Ride
    LNF

Have also decided that having a HUD isn't needed after hearing what the windshield costs to replace on cars that have them.
    Basically any of these vehicles that you are looking at will cost big $ to replace the windshields. If they have lane keep assist with the little camera (triangle) in the windshield, they have to be calibrated and most require OEM glass.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Soooooo, any more test drives?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Soooooo, any more test drives?
    I test drove a 2019 X3 30i last weekend, took the RDX for a couple of days and drove the MDX while I was waiting for the RDX to be ready. I'm most likely going to be heading back into Acura later this week to see where they are at price wise with he options that I'd like to see.

The MDX felt way heavier than the 200lb difference between it and the RDX, the 18 additional horsepower didn't make up for it in the acceleration department and was additionally hampered by less torque than the RDX. My biggest complaint with the MDX was the infotainment and climate control system that was split between a touchscreen and a second screen controlled by a wheel on the dash itself. Found it to be not intuitive at all and was having to remember which screen did what and how to interact with each. The lack of a panoramic moonroof was also a bit of a disappointment. Final verdict on the MDX is that if it had the updated RDX interior and I had two kids, it would be the vehicle to buy in terms of size and seating (with the center row captains chairs and fold flat rear seat).

The X3 was a fun car to drive, with a 2.0L turbo like the RDX, very similar in size as well. The interior felt a tiny bit smaller and it seemed like I had to put my seat further back to be in a comfortable position. The infotainment was on par with the RDX in terms of size and visibility and while the interface was in a convenient spot, it was a wheel that felt a bit fidgety to work with. The surround view camera that could be manipulated was a nice touch, but something I feel wouldn't be used much; as with the parallel parking assist. Price wise, it was more than the Acura (to be expected), but I feel there might be a bit of brand premium baked in there as well.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Acura is serious with the RDX.

I wonder if they’ll cook up a on RDX type S. Go full type R engine with 300+hp.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Man, I gotta say those TLX A-Spec are nice as but a bit on the pricey side.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post

I think that would be great. Something mid level with performance, kinda like the Edge ST but Honda.

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Acura has a 3 day sale coming up

Sept 19-22 I believe and it’s an additional $1000 or so off on top of whatever the current offers are

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post

Acura has announced that there will be a Type S version of all their vehicles.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast