Quantcast
Getting New Roof. Roof Vents? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting New Roof. Roof Vents?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Getting New Roof. Roof Vents?

In the process of getting quotes done up for getting my roof replaced this year.

A couple quotes are quoting just replacing existing vents with same new ones, but a 1-2 companies are quoting changing some to Duraflo Pro Turbo vents. Worthwhile upgrade? Or not needed?

House gets crazy hot during summer where its cooler outside than inside. No AC so maybe these vents will aid in cooling?

As well, is one shingle brand more superior to the other? Most quotes are using IKO Cambridge or BP Mystique
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

We just had our roof done - regarding vents:

- its the number of vents you are after, get a bunch of cheap vents instead of one unit - install 2x more than the roofers are suggesting
    - gable vents can also significantly help
    - soffit ventilation is also crucial, but you probably have a newer home with Alum soffits already - we had to add more soffit vents on our older home
    Last edited by revelations; 05-30-2020 at 10:02 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

vent vent vent. Lotsa vents.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    We just had our roof done - regarding vents:

- its the number of vents you are after, get a bunch of cheap vents instead of one unit - install 2x more than the roofers are suggesting
    - gable vents can also significantly help
    - soffit ventilation is also crucial, but you probably have a newer home with Alum soffits already - we had to add more soffit vents on our older home
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    vent vent vent. Lotsa vents.
    I think theres 5-7 vents currently. All the quotes dont mention or suggest getting more. Co-worker says theres a science to venting, and adding more vents might not do anything or might be less effiecient as theres no back draft/pressure to get the hot air out the vents? Totally clueless now.

House was built in 2000. I believe I have soffit venting. I see aluminum pieces with slits in it all along roof when I look up.

Turbine vents were old tech, these Turbo Pro are the next gen?
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I installed a powered roof vent, and it made an immense difference in the heat of the house. I also have a 50's bungalow, so your results may vary.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I think theres 5-7 vents currently. All the quotes dont mention or suggest getting more. Co-worker says theres a science to venting, and adding more vents might not do anything or might be less effiecient as theres no back draft/pressure to get the hot air out the vents? Totally clueless now.

House was built in 2000. I believe I have soffit venting. I see aluminum pieces with slits in it all along roof when I look up.

Turbine vents were old tech, these Turbo Pro are the next gen?
    We have a 70s built home - no aluminum soffit venting, just vented panels. We added more soffit venting to help with the (now) 10 roof vent.

Its all about equalizing the air flow going to the attic and then coming out. No point adding a jet engine if you have a small air intake.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

If you’ve never had attic issues don’t change your venting.

My Ride
    02 RSX

Hey,

Who are you getting your quotes from? how do they compare in price?

I am in the process of finding companies to quote. Thanks in advance

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    If you’ve never had attic issues don’t change your venting.
    A house that remains hot well after the sun sets is an indication of poor attic airflow though.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    A house that remains hot well after the sun sets is an indication of poor attic airflow though.
    My a/c runs steady from 6pm - 12am when it’s hot outside, had the roof vents doubled with my new roof a few years ago and I physically removed all the vented soffits for cleaning. Now looking into a power vent for the attic as I’ve had a few co-workers have success with them in the past in their own homes. (A/C and Refrig technicians)
    Last edited by Darell_n; 06-03-2020 at 12:11 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Russo View Post
    Hey,

Who are you getting your quotes from? how do they compare in price?

I am in the process of finding companies to quote. Thanks in advance

I'm in Edmonton, so can't help you. Prices range from low $5500 to high $9000. Prices are including drip edge, and metal valleys on a 2 story home but it'll all depend on your roof, how big, how much slope etc.

My Ride

The company Im going with, I inquired about the Turbo vents, and he said from his research, adding them disrupts the air flow and that if I really want them, I'd have to replace all the vents with 2-3 of the Turbo ones. Also mentioned something about messing up the soffit air flow as well.

Suggested better to add more of the regular vents, vs getting the Turbo ones. So he's adding 2 more vents @ $80 cost to do.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    My a/c runs steady from 6pm - 12am when it’s hot outside, had the roof vents doubled with my new roof a few years ago and I physically removed all the vented soffits for cleaning. Now looking into a power vent for the attic as I’ve had a few co-workers have success with them in the past in their own homes. (A/C and Refrig technicians)
    I just had (passive) gable vents installed on all of our peaks (4) and holy fuck did the hot air come flying out (like a hair dryer in my face).

NOTICEABLY cooler upstairs now in the evenings.

I still might go with a thermostat/powered fan - perhaps replace one of the south gable vents with one down the road.

My Ride

Its been a couple weeks with the new roof and I can say its a noticeable difference now. They added 2 more additional vents on the house portion so 5 total on the house, and 2 above the garage and upstairs is very much cooler now and tolerable.

House use to hover at a 24-26 and its around 22-23 now so almost matching the outside temps. Way better sleeps now! Going to upgrade to central A/C next year

I think if they let me add those turbo vents, house would be even cooler.

My Ride

I lied. Don't think roof vents did anything. Its hot af. Can handle the house at 26, but when its 28 and humid fml.

I've disconnected my humidifier from furnace, if I reconnect and turn on, will it make life liveable?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 07-29-2020 at 11:16 AM.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I lied. Don't think roof vents did anything. Its hot af. Can handle the house at 26, but when its 28 and humid fml.

I've disconnected my humidifier from furnace, if I reconnect and turn on, will it make life liveable?
    29* @ 10pm in my place last night was pretty close to the final straw. Might be time to finally pull the trigger on a portable AC unit. I'm not Aspen enough for full home AC

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Wouldn't the increased humidity increase the heat capacity of the air?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Everyones house was hot as fucking hell yesterday.

I've never seen anything above 23c in our house until yesterday.

Our main floor was up to 23c and upstairs was 26c. Couldn't even open windows till nearly 11pm as it was still 26c+ outside till then. All the windows opened all night with fans blowing hot air out upstairs still only cooled it to 20c as of this morning and its already back up to 22c. Ugggg!

Its also super humid outside. You can't fix that without A/C or a dehumidifier in your house.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Everyones house was hot as fucking hell yesterday.

I've never seen anything above 23c in our house until yesterday.

Our main floor was up to 23c and upstairs was 26c. Couldn't even open windows till nearly 11pm as it was still 26c+ outside till then. All the windows opened all night with fans blowing hot air out upstairs still only cooled it to 20c as of this morning and its already back up to 22c. Ugggg!

Its also super humid outside. You can't fix that without A/C or a dehumidifier in your house.
    Yeah we were showing 28 degrees in our master bedroom last night. Had 3 fans going to move the air in the house in AND out and it probably didn't really cool it off till around 2-3am in the morning.

We even have a fan to circulate air in the house and it wasn't doing a damn thing.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    29* @ 10pm in my place last night was pretty close to the final straw. Might be time to finally pull the trigger on a portable AC unit. I'm not Aspen enough for full home AC
    People in aspen just cool off in their pools
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast