Quantcast
PART 8 - Has your office laid people off - With poll - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Have you been laid off during this downturn?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I was laid off and have not found more work

14 8.14%
  • Yes - I was laid off and found work that pays less or is in a different industry

8 4.65%
  • Yes - I was laid off and found similar work.

22 12.79%
  • No - I have not been laid off.

121 70.35%
  • Other - Please explain.

7 4.07%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: PART 8 - Has your office laid people off - With poll

My Ride
    RSTi

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1 guy in Calgary is from what I heard. I know they are laying all the mechanics off in Sylvan. Will be interesting to see. CWC runs pretty lean so I was kind of surprised they were taking 85%.
    I can assure you it's more than 1 here in Calgary sadly.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Nexen wont be called nexen for much longer they are rebranding or renaming to CNOOC or whatever the name of the parent company is. My friend told me they are even outsourcing most departments including IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Dark View Post
    I can assure you it's more than 1 here in Calgary sadly.
    Heh, I meant one going over. You don't have to assure me of anything...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Thought it was pretty standard. The default legal severance amounts is bullshit, so employers entice potential employees with much better packages.

I think my current severance stands at around 2 years salary haha, but I've been here for almost 1/2 my life.
    I think Chevron did legal minimum when they did last few round laid off. Not the sweet packages most people expected or earlier. Then again, may be all they have written in the contract is legal minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I wonder when Oil/Gas places will start to give salary raises to employees again?

My wife hasn't had a salary increase in her position (Project Engineer) for 4 years, and shes at an Oil Producer, shes managed to avoid all the rounds of layoffs and now the company has learned and is not doing big layoffs just layoffs every week - since the start of the recession shes managed to laterally move twice but no raise either time. I guess its also hard to know whether her current salary is good for a producer given experience or not.
    Well how's her wage compared to rest of the country given the same position? If it's still 30% or more over national average, expect no raises for a bit.

Also, the oilsand VP didn't get the CEO job. Watch for new CEO comes in and swing his dick around to cut cost to appease the shareholders = more lay offs.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-30-2017 at 03:52 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Heard Sinopec is doing lay-offs and pay cuts.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I think Chevron did legal minimum when they did last few round laid off. Not the sweet packages most people expected or earlier. Then again, may be all they have written in the contract is legal minimum.

Well how's her wage compared to rest of the country given the same position? If it's still 30% or more over national average, expect no raises for a bit.

Also, the oilsand VP didn't get the CEO job. Watch for new CEO comes in and swing his dick around to cut cost to appease the shareholders = more lay offs.
    Well compared to the rest of canada shes making alot, compared to her peers and especially men shes probably making less.

Theres a rumor at cenovus that the COO of transcanada (the new ceo) was fired from transcanada. No idea if there is any truth to that rumor though.

My first question was how did you come to find out that information...there wasnt anything in the news etc.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 10-31-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Hear Chevron is pulling the plug on Alberta. Not sure how connected the guy who told me is though.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well compared to the rest of canada shes making alot, compared to her peers and especially men shes probably making less.

Theres a rumor at cenovus that the COO of transcanada (the new ceo) was fired from transcanada. No idea if there is any truth to that rumor though.
    She's still getting a pre-bust wage. Many will kill for that right now. Capital isn't flowing in, so it'll be awhile before the current unemployed engineers either leave town or leave their field for talent pool tightens up for wages to increase. Especially you can get resources 3 for price of 2 right now.

The rumor is probably spread by VP that didn't get the CEO job.

Official record is that current CEO of TCPL ain't going nowhere so Pourbaix jumped ship to get a promo.

Until he left TransCanada, Pourbaix was seen as the most likely successor to president and CEO Russ Girling, 54. But Girling locked up a long-term future in the top job after securing the presidential permit for Keystone XL and acquiring Columbia Pipeline Group for US$13 billion.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-31-2017 at 11:16 AM.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

They just told us they will be doing small layoffs here as we integrate some acquisitions.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Buddy of mine at AMECFW (now known as wood.) just got told he's on vacation until his vacation is used up, and then it's layoffs for everyone in his group. Not a big surprise, they finished up a long term project for an oilsands mine and didn't have anything else on the books.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I dont know why we cant say companies - Amec Foster Wheeler aka wood group mustang

Does everyone think that we are going to gain some bad reputation for discussing a very obvious situation.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I dont know why we cant say companies - Amec Foster Wheeler aka wood group mustang

Does everyone think that we are going to gain some bad reputation for discussing a very obvious situation.
    It’s easier to type AMECFW than whatever long, convoluted name they are known by in a particular week.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

In the hockeypuck forum thread of practically the same name they use synonyms for the names of companies or rhyming to change the names like they are worried about come backs for some reason.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I wasn't trying to be obscure. I always called them amecfw and now they aren't called that they are now branded as wood. This department has nothing to do with the Mustang guys. No idea what's going on with other divisions.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is faster than yours

The whole company is now Wood after the acquisition. Change of all legal entities will take a while.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Hear Chevron is pulling the plug on Alberta. Not sure how connected the guy who told me is though.
    Not at all.

http://www.chevron.ca/our-businesses...vernay-program

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Looks like my company will be laying off everybody except for me at the end of November.

Only reason they are keeping me is to bid on projects and it sounds like if I don't scratch up $10m worth of work by Christmas, I'll be gone too!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Looks like my company will be laying off everybody except for me at the end of November.

Only reason they are keeping me is to bid on projects and it sounds like if I don't scratch up $10m worth of work by Christmas, I'll be gone too!
    Sorry to hear that, despite all the talk around town about things picking up. It’s still not a great place to be looking for work.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

True story bro.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

It's the way she goes!

I make more money in the background than I do at my full time employment so It will be nice to shift my focus where the juice is worth the squeeze.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast