Quantcast
Scheer is out...who's next? - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Scheer is out...who's next?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Social conservatives happily give up good economic policy to get conservative social policy any chance they get.
    seems that way. Makes no sense to me, unless you think jeebus gonna give you gold in heaven?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    seems that way. Makes no sense to me, unless you think jeebus gonna give you gold in heaven?
    Be careful. You might get talked at about morals and how laws are made around them (or something).

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Social conservatives happily give up good economic policy to get conservative social policy any chance they get.
    Yea idk this is a tough one

Climate change. Abortion. Intersectionality. Social issues galore. Ppl hating the system but won’t look in the mirror. Lol good luck whoever is running.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Mate, your posts are rooted entirely in ideology and rely on so many assumptions that they aren't really worth engaging.
    And you just did the very same. Everyone's posts are ideologically driven on such issues and rely on a certain degree of assumptions but that is precisely what makes them worth engaging. Your statement really appears as an excuse to not have to engage with anything your ideology disagrees with.

Case and point: I threw the same type of "logic" back at you and you replied with "HA! You can't be serious", and you did so unironically. That's because you're one of those types of posters.
    I fully agree with what you stated. My point is that you, like several others, seem uninterested in actual discussion to try to understand what someone with a different point of view is saying or to come to the truth of a matter. It's so much easier to just bait people than to actually engage in rational discourse.

So, back to my original question: What is the actual issue with abortion? I'm wasn't trying to debate abortion; all this required was one or two sentences to indicate the poster had some idea of the (typically) conservative view of abortion. It seems like several here have no clue as to what the actual issue is, which is evidenced by the suggestion that the Conservatives need to abandon conservative social policy in the quest for power.

So, what is the real issue in abortion? It is what the unborn are. It's as basic and simple as that. The conservative point of view, but certainly not exclusive to conservatives, is that the unborn are human beings in the process of development and as such, are fully deserving of the protections and rights afforded born human beings. Period. From this point of view then, abortion is murder and I sure hope that everyone on here agrees that murder is morally wrong.

If that is the case (and it is), then how in the world do any of you justify suggesting that conservatives need to set aside such a belief in the pursuit of power? There is absolutely no justification that can be given to believe that although the unborn are murdered by the 10s of thousands every year, the Conservatives should change their belief on the matter just so that they can have a better chance at winning an election.

Can you imagine if Wilberforce and his friends believed that? Where would we be today if, as a politician, Wilberforce gave in to the powers that be--both political and social--and thought that he should change his position on slavery just to ensure he retained his standing in parliament? It took over twenty years of fighting parliament and society to get slavery abolished, at least on paper. That is the problem today--no politician has the integrity or courage to stand up for what they believe on abortion, including the Conservatives.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

This would be the perfect time for a new party to come on board - fiscally con but socially liberal. Neither sides of the aisle are appealing.

2 term limits for all politicians and 10 years of previous employment required - ie working class people in power who know what the real world is like. The country is run by working class people, these are the same people who should be in power.

Lose the cronies, lose the nepotism lose the old boys club, abolish the senate.

Let the people make their own (social) decisions for their life but the government can stay in a minor role to incentivize new business, ideas and technology (for eg. AB, incentivize non OG technology like solar).

Crazy thinking.
    Last edited by revelations; 08-14-2020 at 10:39 AM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    And you just did the very same. Everyone's posts are ideologically driven on such issues and rely on a certain degree of assumptions but that is precisely what makes them worth engaging. Your statement really appears as an excuse to not have to engage with anything your ideology disagrees with.

I fully agree with what you stated. My point is that you, like several others, seem uninterested in actual discussion to try to understand what someone with a different point of view is saying or to come to the truth of a matter. It's so much easier to just bait people than to actually engage in rational discourse.

So, back to my original question: What is the actual issue with abortion? I'm wasn't trying to debate abortion; all this required was one or two sentences to indicate the poster had some idea of the (typically) conservative view of abortion. It seems like several here have no clue as to what the actual issue is, which is evidenced by the suggestion that the Conservatives need to abandon conservative social policy in the quest for power.

So, what is the real issue in abortion? It is what the unborn are. It's as basic and simple as that. The conservative point of view, but certainly not exclusive to conservatives, is that the unborn are human beings in the process of development and as such, are fully deserving of the protections and rights afforded born human beings. Period. From this point of view then, abortion is murder and I sure hope that everyone on here agrees that murder is morally wrong.

If that is the case (and it is), then how in the world do any of you justify suggesting that conservatives need to set aside such a belief in the pursuit of power? There is absolutely no justification that can be given to believe that although the unborn are murdered by the 10s of thousands every year, the Conservatives should change their belief on the matter just so that they can have a better chance at winning an election.

Can you imagine if Wilberforce and his friends believed that? Where would we be today if, as a politician, Wilberforce gave in to the powers that be--both political and social--and thought that he should change his position on slavery just to ensure he retained his standing in parliament? It took over twenty years of fighting parliament and society to get slavery abolished, at least on paper. That is the problem today--no politician has the integrity or courage to stand up for what they believe on abortion, including the Conservatives.
    Mate, I'm a centrist. I've voted left and I've voted right. I vote based on platform and policy and those things alone.

Here's my point of view on your contributions to this thread:

Laws always have legislated morality, for good reason. If people always simply have the right to choose, they will inevitably end up harming someone else. As an example, what is the actual issue with abortion?
    Laws have always legislated morality? How daft can you be? You don't have to think hard (or very far back) to find numerous examples of why that's an idiotic statement.

And then you follow it with "if people are left to choose, they will inevitably end up harming someone else."

Nevermind the fact that you make these assertions with no references/data/anything to reinforce them; they paint you into an ideological corner because, to anybody who doesn't subscribe to that narrow worldview, you're making it very clear that you choose to ignore ample evidence against your claims.

It's also interesting that your worldview is clearly fear motivated, as without laws, everyone is out to get everyone - it's a free for all! Clearly. Regardless, I don't want anyone who has so little faith in the world around them to be influencing the governance of where I live. I am not afraid of my fellow man and I couldn't care less that you are.

I’m just trying to show why the argument that Conservatives should abandon conservative social policy shows a level of ignorance as to how such Conservatives view those issues. Having convictions and standing up for what one believes is right used to be considered a virtue, but society as a whole has been drinking from the Leftist punch bowl for far too long.
    You follow your first gem up with this one, ignoring that federal governments of the past 30 years have been an almost 50/50 split of con/lib leadership. So sure, the past 5 years or so have been liberal, but the decade prior to that was conservative.

How does that in any way align with "society has been drinking from the lefitist punch bowl for too long?". The actual outcome - the reality we've lived - doesn't jive with your statement. Gay marriage was legalized in Canada just 15 years ago - that doesn't seem like a lot of punch to me. It was very satisfying, by the way, to be able to directly vote against the prick that waxed poetically in parliament about how gay marriage should not be allowed.

My favourite, though, is how you proclaim that people are ignorant of how conservatives view the issue and then you proceed to provide us with a lackluster explanation that every single poster here has already read a thousand times. Saying it again doesn't make it any more palatable to people who are fighting for their rights.

No brain = no consciousness = not a person. A bundle of cells is not yet a person and does not have the same rights as a person. Therefore, abortion is not murder unless the bundle of cells has graduated into a conscious being.

I will absolutely fight for a woman's right to choose and vote against whatever party seems to think that they should dictate the circumstances of it. Period.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This would be the perfect time for a new party to come on board - fiscally con but socially liberal. Neither sides of the aisle are appealing.

2 term limits for all politicians and 10 years of previous employment required - ie working class people in power who know what the real world is like. The country is run by working class people, these are the same people who should be in power.

Let the people make their own (social) decisions for their life but the government can stay in a minor role to incentivize new business, ideas and technology (for eg. AB, incentivize non OG technology like solar).

Crazy thinking.
    Fiscally conservative and socially liberal is basically libertarian. (Assuming that fiscal conservative means free markets, and socially liberal means Classical Liberal, and not authoritarian left.)

People want to be fiscally conservative until they don't. Then they want to be socially liberal, until they don't. Everyone has their pet issues that they think allow them to cross over the "Freedom" rubicon to the "authoritarian" side. They just think their issue is the one that justifies it.

My Ride

Fiscally conservative and socially liberal is basically libertarian. (Assuming that fiscal conservative means free markets, and socially liberal means Classical Liberal, and not authoritarian left.)

People want to be fiscally conservative until they don't. Then they want to be socially liberal, until they don't. Everyone has their pet issues that they think allow them to cross over the "Freedom" rubicon to the "authoritarian" side. They just think their issue is the one that justifies it.
    The basic idea is that government needs to fuck off from peoples' social lives, while providing the stability that industry and business needs to have to grow.

If you want to do drugs, fine - here is a facility you can (pay) to use and do drugs. You have a choice.

If you want to have private healthcare, fine - here is the frame work to operate in (obviously need things like registered physicians still). You have a choice.

If you want to have an abortion, fine - here are the (registered) facilities. You have the choice.

The idea is that people should have more power, choice and control over their lives. Having average people in positions of power, for a fixed term, prevents this from going to their heads.

I dont have 'pet issues' (like abortion) so your statement of 'everyone' is not accurate.
    Last edited by revelations; 08-14-2020 at 11:20 AM.

My Ride
    ute

The basic idea is that government needs to fuck off from peoples' social lives, while providing the stability that industry and business needs to have to grow.

If you want to do drugs, fine - here is a facility you can (pay) to use and do drugs. You have a choice.

If you want to have private healthcare, fine - here is the frame work to operate in (obviously need things like registered physicians still). You have a choice.

If you want to have an abortion, fine - here are the (registered) facilities. You have the choice.

The idea is that people should have more power, choice and control over their lives. Having average people in positions of power, for a fixed term, prevents this from going to their heads.

I dont have 'pet issues' (like abortion) so your statement of 'everyone' is not accurate.
    I wasn't saying you - I was agreeing with you.

In practice, though - it's very rare to see people hold to principles of liberty especially when it is distasteful for them.

My Ride

I wasn't saying you - I was agreeing with you.

In practice, though - it's very rare to see people hold to principles of liberty especially when it is distasteful for them.
    The idea is that BOTH sides need to stop virtue signalling. Cons against abortion and the Libs against something like mandated gender pronunciations.

Freedom to choose is being eroded by both sides in the name of 'morality'.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Sounds like we need to Drain the Swamp!

Name:  2CB3E8C800000578-3247124-image-m-51_1443073963787.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  54.6 KB

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Sounds like we need to Drain the Swamp!

Ugh so true - ANY country with elected career officials suffers from the same fate. Politicians in service to self.

My Ride
    Edge

Laws have always legislated morality? How daft can you be? You don't have to think hard (or very far back) to find numerous examples of why that's an idiotic statement.
    Do you not think murder is a moral issue? Paedophilia? Rape? Slavery? If not, please enlighten me.

And then you follow it with "if people are left to choose, they will inevitably end up harming someone else."
    Nevermind the fact that you make these assertions with no references/data/anything to reinforce them; they paint you into an ideological corner because, to anybody who doesn't subscribe to that narrow worldview, you're making it very clear that you choose to ignore ample evidence against your claims.
    What evidence? Where has any evidence been given? What evidence have you given? You are here proving my earlier point by making assumptions about I believe and about supposedly ignoring evidence.

More than that, you appear to be operating on the assumption that people are generally good, perhaps even like you, and that they wouldn’t hurt anyone. However, history shows that when people are left to choose for themselves, they will inevitably end up harming someone. The fact that we have laws in the first place proves this to be the case. Look at what is currently going on in the U.S., and that is with laws in place. Not everyone is like you and I—there are people out there who really do enjoy hurting others and/or will do whatever they want to get their way.

It's also interesting that your worldview is clearly fear motivated, as without laws, everyone is out to get everyone - it's a free for all! Clearly. Regardless, I don't want anyone who has so little faith in the world around them to be influencing the governance of where I live. I am not afraid of my fellow man and I couldn't care less that you are.
    Again, history proves this to be the case. What is interesting is that you can only say that because you have (most likely) been raised in Western civilization, which once held tightly to Judeo-Christian ethics. We are still feeling the effects of that despite its significant diminishment in modern culture. And, no, my worldview is not motivated by fear but by facts and a search for the truth.

You follow your first gem up with this one, ignoring that federal governments of the past 30 years have been an almost 50/50 split of con/lib leadership. So sure, the past 5 years or so have been liberal, but the decade prior to that was conservative.
    How does that in any way align with "society has been drinking from the lefitist punch bowl for too long?". The actual outcome - the reality we've lived - doesn't jive with your statement. Gay marriage was legalized in Canada just 15 years ago - that doesn't seem like a lot of punch to me. It was very satisfying, by the way, to be able to directly vote against the prick that waxed poetically in parliament about how gay marriage should not be allowed.
    I wasn’t clear, my apologies, but I was not speaking about politics. Society as a whole has been steadily moving to the Left, thanks to things such as Marxism and post-modernism. These, and other leftist ideas, have been taught in universities for decades, hence why even much of the Right has shifted to the left. But my point is that classical virtues are hardly considered virtues anymore or their meaning has been entirely changed to fit the Leftist agenda. Now we’re left with things like post-truth, where feelings decide the truth of a matter rather than facts. This is put to continuous use by the Left, although not exclusively.

My favourite, though, is how you proclaim that people are ignorant of how conservatives view the issue and then you proceed to provide us with a lackluster explanation that every single poster here has already read a thousand times.
    As I explained, the fact that the argument was made that the Conservatives should let go of conservative social policy, using abortion as an example, proves that people are ignorant of how conservatives (though not only conservatives) view the issue. It is completely irrational to understand a conservative view on abortion as being murder and then at the same time suggest they should change that view to better their chances at winning an election. That is absurd.

Saying it again doesn't make it any more palatable to people who are fighting for their rights.
    Saying “what” again? “Whose” rights?

No brain = no consciousness = not a person. A bundle of cells is not yet a person and does not have the same rights as a person. Therefore, abortion is not murder unless the bundle of cells has graduated into a conscious being.
    I will absolutely fight for a woman's right to choose and vote against whatever party seems to think that they should dictate the circumstances of it. Period.
    A beautiful example of doing exactly what you berate me for doing. So, please, allow me to quote you to yourself:

“Nevermind the fact that you make these assertions with no references/data/anything to reinforce them; they paint you into an ideological corner because, to anybody who doesn't subscribe to that narrow worldview, you're making it very clear that you choose to ignore ample evidence against your claims”

The irony is that your claim, “No brain = no consciousness = not a person,” is entirely subjective opinion, so no evidence can be given. Science and reason prove your position to be erroneous.

However, I didn’t post the example of abortion to debate it. It was simply to point out that from a conservative point of view, anyone suggesting that the PCs should just abandon conservative social policy doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

My Ride
    Axis powers

... and 10 years of previous employment required ....
    10 years how? In general, in a specific position, at a specific company?

Should a 10 year McDonald's employee run for politics
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Edge

Completely agree. However, it will likely never happen. The political system in Canada is irreparably broken, with each successive party taking advantage of the bad policies of the party before and then breaking it further with their own policies. It's an unending cycle that too few politicians either want to end or are willing to try and bring to an end. There is power at stake and each party is grabbing more every chance they get.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    10 years how? In general, in a specific position, at a specific company?

Should a 10 year McDonald's employee run for politics
    Yes, someone who has worked 10 years at McDs should definitely run. Even if they are just a burger flipper, they can still make common sense decisions based on the advise of their staffers - which is all the position is (or should be).

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree. However, it will likely never happen. The political system in Canada is irreparably broken, with each successive party taking advantage of the bad policies of the party before and then breaking it further with their own policies. It's an unending cycle that too few politicians either want to end or are willing to try and bring to an end. There is power at stake and each party is grabbing more every chance they get.
    Time to have our own revolution then - march to Ottawa with guns. If a million people showed up with this intent (throw out the government) - there is sweet fuck all they could do.

My Ride
    Edge

The idea is that BOTH sides need to stop virtue signalling. Cons against abortion and the Libs against something like mandated gender pronunciations.

Freedom to choose is being eroded by both sides in the name of 'morality'.
    And, yet, there have to be practical limits placed on the freedom to choose, even in the name of morality. For instance, I am all for freedom of religion and belief. Yet, I would not stand for allowing people to bring back worship of Molech, as described in the Bible, as it consists of sacrificing children. And there are other religions in ancient, and not so ancient, history that have done the same or similar.

My Ride
    ute

And, yet, there have to be practical limits placed on the freedom to choose, even in the name of morality. For instance, I am all for freedom of religion and belief. Yet, I would not stand for allowing people to bring back worship of Molech, as described in the Bible, as it consists of sacrificing children. And there are other religions in ancient, and not so ancient, history that have done the same or similar.
    Name:  cg9qzscr-1353902186.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  25.2 KB

My Ride

The definition of abortion = or =/= to murder can be left up to the individual or the group identity they subscribe to (religious, etc.).

Governments can and should stay out of this debate.

My Ride
    Edge

The definition of abortion = or =/= to murder can be left up to the individual or the group identity they subscribe to (religious, etc.).

Governments can and should stay out of this debate.
    But this goes to what I was saying (not to you) about society having been indoctrinated with Leftist ideology for so long. What you have stated is based on the false post-modern idea that truth is subjective and relative, that what is true for you may not be true for someone else; that we each have our own truth, even if they are contradictory. But the nature of truth is objective and absolute; it is that which corresponds with reality and is available for all to see and is true regardless of what people believe. We can all have partially or completely erroneous perspectives as to a given truth, of course, but that is the very reason why dialogue and debate needs to be had. Together we can come up with what is the most likely truth of a matter.

If abortion is murder, and it is, it is murder regardless of who defines it or if anyone defines it differently. As such, it most certainly falls under the purview of government. Again, I am not wanting to debate abortion and derail this thread. It was only an example of how serious some social policies are held and that that needs to be taken into consideration when some are advocating that the PCs let those things go.

- - - Updated - - -

Name:  cg9qzscr-1353902186.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  25.2 KB
    Ha ha! You starting a religion?

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast