Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now! - Page 19 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like 600 (Business) gets 100mbps uploads too. Nice.
    weak.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I called Telus last night to cancel my TV service and also find out if im bound to any contracts because I am looking to switch to Shaw 300 for 60% less than my Telus 150 plan. And the rep put me through to retentions. The best they could do for me was $85 per month for Telus 300 or $65 per month for Telus 150 only for 12 months as well. The shaw link I was given was $38 a month for 12 months for internet 300 and then $53 a month for months 13-24 and then month to month. The telus retentions rep even went so far to tell me that because I only have approx 20 devices on my LAN i didnt need Internet 300 - I agree I am fine with 150 however I dont want to pay $110 a month for it. He then said since I had been with Telus for 9 years I could lock into a 3 year contract for a lowered price and he used the words "whats another 3 more years with Telus...".

My Ride
    TDi

Finally had Telus 750 installed and feels much better than Shaw 600. Sales dude lied to me on rate and credits, but got it fixed through retention 2 hours after install.

$80/month on a 2-year

Careful with mall Telus "sales associates"
    GO FLAMES GO!

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I called Telus last night to cancel my TV service and also find out if im bound to any contracts because I am looking to switch to Shaw 300 for 60% less than my Telus 150 plan. And the rep put me through to retentions. The best they could do for me was $85 per month for Telus 300 or $65 per month for Telus 150 only for 12 months as well. The shaw link I was given was $38 a month for 12 months for internet 300 and then $53 a month for months 13-24 and then month to month. The telus retentions rep even went so far to tell me that because I only have approx 20 devices on my LAN i didnt need Internet 300 - I agree I am fine with 150 however I dont want to pay $110 a month for it. He then said since I had been with Telus for 9 years I could lock into a 3 year contract for a lowered price and he used the words "whats another 3 more years with Telus...".

That is a horrible deal. Shaw will probably give you 660Mbps for $80-85, that's what most people have on a 2-year. Telus should at least be giving you their faster product.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

I assume this is copper service?
    You get way better deals on fiber. Not sure why.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by ????? View Post
    I assume this is copper service?
    You get way better deals on fiber. Not sure why.
    Nope Im on fiber and in a new area too, and also the rep was like our fiber is much better than their tech anyday. I mean it probably is but to be honest I only really care about the price - anything over 100Mbps is good for me.

Its worth noting that pretty soon they will be able to do Fiber to the 5G celltower, which basically means the 5G becomes a slightly less reliable gigabit repeater.

Cell tech was never in contention for pure speed at any point in history - until 5G shows up that is. I can imagine 1 Terabyte per month cellular ~$100 per month plans will be more normal as time goes on.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-28-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Its worth noting that pretty soon they will be able to do Fiber to the 5G celltower, which basically means the 5G becomes a slightly less reliable gigabit repeater.

Cell tech was never in contention for pure speed at any point in history - until 5G shows up that is. I can imagine 1 Terabyte per month cellular ~$100 per month plans will be more normal as time goes on.
    Fiber has been to cell towers for some time. 5G is the game changer not so much the cell towers connectivity.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

5G won’t be that much of a game changer for us. We don’t have that much congestion here, except maybe large events such as hockey games.

In the US where it’s always congested, they’ll get to catch up to what we normally experience in cell network performance.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by 403ep3 View Post
    Finally had Telus 750 installed and feels much better than Shaw 600. Sales dude lied to me on rate and credits, but got it fixed through retention 2 hours after install.

$80/month on a 2-year

Careful with mall Telus "sales associates"
    Telus is bad for this.

I had a sales guy come to our condo building for an event since everyone had Telus in the building. He sold me on a new iPhone along with a different plan. The plan was actually pretty decent (can't remember details) so I accepted it and left my grandfathered plan.

Well when I got my first bill it was $40 more than I was told and I didn't even get what I was told I would get. When I called in they were like "oh were not sure why he would tell you that, we can't give you that" so I said stop everything and put me back on my old plan and ill send the phone back.. "sorry we can't give you your old plan back"... Fuck sakes.

Anyways it took about 4 hours on the phone to get remotely close to what I signed a contract for... Good fucking grief.

5G did something that it was not supposed to do: It was supposed to be a slower speed, chargeable service (for telcos) compared to micro-cell ultra fast WIFI (free, or nearly free)

Rural people are probably well aware of Huawei LTE/4G by now (Telus using Huawei 612) now that they can reasonably stream Netflix "at the farm" The next step would be to install 5G at every gas station, so that rural people can download a weeks worth of movies as they gas up between middle of nowhere areas.

It does have a use in rural, arguably they are the most desperate in need of fast cell service. I mean, they used to watch the grass grow in Sask, its not so much a joke as it was a play on reality.

Chinese peeps from Huawei with their affordable cell technology is probably the main thing that will keep rural Canadians sane (especially over the winters) and maybe even - Happy.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-29-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So I received my self install but then found out I do not have a coax line running into my house from the green box on my drive way. So I have a tech coming to install one but how is this done do they trench it to the house and then run the cable up and over the garage and then down to basement?

Pretty sure I found the cable in the electrical panel which then connects to another cable and I have no idea where that goes to
    Last edited by nzwasp; 05-31-2019 at 05:56 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Got my shaw 300 installed, my god though how bad do these hitron modems suck. Got it sitting in my living room and straight through the floor in my bedroom the signal sucks. So i tried hooking up my old R7000 to a port with IP Passthrough (bridge?) and it doesnt work so now I gotta call shaw just to get that shit enabled.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Got my shaw 300 installed, my god though how bad do these hitron modems suck. Got it sitting in my living room and straight through the floor in my bedroom the signal sucks. So i tried hooking up my old R7000 to a port with IP Passthrough (bridge?) and it doesnt work so now I gotta call shaw just to get that shit enabled.
    Just get the modem put into bridge mode. You can even do it through Shaw chat if you have the app or their website. Its just something they do on the back end and nobody needs to come out.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I got it bridged, surprised it doesnt work the same way as telus bridging, traceroutes still go through the hitron modem - thought that my router would have a public IP.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I had the Hitron bridged to my R7000, worked great. Chat turns it on for you, takes a couple minutes.

I just swapped out to the XB6 and upgraded to 600Mbps to save money (they let me sign up for a new customer promo). It let me do the bridge mode on my own which was nice.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I got it bridged, surprised it doesnt work the same way as telus bridging, traceroutes still go through the hitron modem - thought that my router would have a public IP.
    Bridged just means it no longer has router functions. My Asus router shows my Shaw IP in it's gui

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

The wifi function of the hitron still seems to work though. Tested straight after and both my router and the modems network worked although my wife was saying it wasn’t working this morning. I should prob turn off the wifi on the modem just to make sure it’s not causing any conflicts.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The wifi function of the hitron still seems to work though. Tested straight after and both my router and the modems network worked although my wife was saying it wasn’t working this morning. I should prob turn off the wifi on the modem just to make sure it’s not causing any conflicts.
    Disable anything you can on the Hitron (except for the ports). Its a giant POS and having things in it turned on can cause various issues.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Disable anything you can on the Hitron (except for the ports). Its a giant POS and having things in it turned on can cause various issues.
    +1. All of Shaw's modems, even the new one for the 660Mbps internet, are easily bested by a cheap $150 router in terms of their WiFi performance. Put it in bridge mode and use a "real" router for a more seamless experience.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 LastLast