The US of A Shooting Mega-Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The US of A Shooting Mega-Thread

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/us/ge...ire/index.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...gh-school.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/28...gh-school.html

TL;DR: Teacher shoots up empty classroom. I guess all the students weren't allowed into the classroom by the teacher, and then it escalated. No one injured except some kid rolled an ankle.

Good thing this teacher was armed...

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone catch this latest Trump meeting with bipartisan senators? Seems like he might be leaning towards implementing some common sense gun controls. Comments from the /r/the_donald thread are very entertaining
    Too bad the President can't write laws. No way a republican congress/house will ever do anything.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by 300havoc View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/us/ge...ire/index.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...gh-school.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/28...gh-school.html

TL;DR: Teacher shoots up empty classroom. I guess all the students weren't allowed into the classroom by the teacher, and then it escalated. No one injured except some kid rolled an ankle.

Good thing this teacher was armed...
    There was a case of a teacher in the bathroom putting their pants back on and having their (right to carry) gun accidentally go off, injuring herself. But hey, accidents happen, they're only human guys...So that's why if we just made bullet-proof vests mandatory as part of the school uniform, any accidents or shootings would be further mitigated.../sarcasm

Even if teachers across the US were allowed to carry guns at school (Texas for example already does), how many would want to? Would they get paid more? Would I as a parent not be satisfied unless my kid was enrolled with Mr. Johnson vs. Ms. Smith because he has a gun to "protect" my kid?

With a stat like ~50% of law enforcement individuals being killed or injured engaging an active shooter, who the fuck would want to teach and put their life on the line?
    Last edited by msommers; 03-01-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Dick's Sporting Goods will no longer sell 'assault' weapons

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/dick...guns-1.4555170

A gun store refusing to sell certain guns...Did not see that coming...

Must be weak sales. No other reason for this.
    Last edited by msommers; 03-01-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Dick's Sporting Goods will no longer sell 'assault' weapons

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/dick...guns-1.4555170

A gun store refusing to sell certain guns...Did not see that coming...

Must be weak sales. No other reason for this.
    People will just go next door to one that does, but the more stores that do it the better I suppose.

It is focusing on the wrong problem though, so maybe there is another motive - perhaps weak sales in the wake of the recent tragedy as you suggest. Anyone can buy an assault rifle very easily even in Canada once you've gone through the relatively quick RPAL process, the key difference is whether or not that buyer is mentally ill with 39 police visits among other things, those people should not be allowed to buy any firearms, assault rifle or not.

My Ride

Probably because they realize that you don't take an AR hunting. It makes sense as a sporting goods store to sell sporting rifles, for you know, hunting and stuff. Leave the AR's and other "specialty" weapons to a speacialty store.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Last I checked target shooting was a sport.

Which is was 99.99999999% of AR owners use them for.

Their loss, AR’s are crazy profitable.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Probably because they realize that you don't take an AR hunting. It makes sense as a sporting goods store to sell sporting rifles, for you know, hunting and stuff. Leave the AR's and other "specialty" weapons to a speacialty store.
    I’d love to hear why you wouldn’t take an AR hunting versus any other semi auto. Considering they are used for hunting in the US and the only reason you can’t in Canada is that the AR is restricted by name
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Last I checked target shooting was a sport.

Which is was 99.99999999% of AR owners use them for.

Their loss, AR’s are crazy profitable.
    I guess I see Dick's Sporting Goods as more of a hunting and fishing store. Kinda like Bass Pro. I equate it to going to Canadian Tire for general car parts, and going to a performance shop for specific specialty items.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    I’d love to hear why you wouldn’t take an AR hunting versus any other semi auto. Considering they are used for hunting in the US and the only reason you can’t in Canada is that the AR is restricted by name
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...ecade/#page-50

(sorry, forgot the url was going to be shortened. The link is "50 best hunting rifles of the decade")

List was from 2011, and I belive it is an American list. I'm sure some things have changed

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think of a sterotypical hunter with his single shot rifle.

I'm sure there are other lists in other places that have the AR on there, and thats fine.

I'm not against the AR, AR variations, guns similar to the AR or against guns in general. I belive that some anti-gun people don't understand gun culture just like anti-car people don't understand car culture. While I do belive there should be a few more stringant rules, and people shouldn't be hiding behind some admendment written in 1791 when times were drastically different, the whole "guns are bad" is just silly to me. Do I personally feel as if I need a gun to protect myself? No. Have I fired a gun? Yes, at an RCMP range. Do I think the Canadian or the American government is going to infringe on it's citizens rights and freedoms so much as to need an armed militia again? No, but if they did, an armed militia won't have much of a chance against the tech that the government has anyway.
    Last edited by 300havoc; 03-01-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: derped, see above

My Ride
    V8s

I guess I see Dick's Sporting Goods as more of a hunting and fishing store. Kinda like Bass Pro. I equate it to going to Canadian Tire for general car parts, and going to a performance shop for specific specialty items.
    Dick's is more like sport chek than bass pro, FYI. It's definitely a general sports store (go figure).

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Lets play a game since there are lots of non gun guys in here, and reading some of the responses that people seem to think you need a RPAL to own an "assault rifle"

Which guns are classed as Non Restriced?

I'm Believe gun laws are needed and with some common sense. Arming everyone is just as absurd as attempting to remove all guns. Getting people to give up their firearms (especially Americans) is akin to getting a country to disband their military, its just not going to happen.

The canadian gun control could be made better. The pal/rpal course is a joke. Anyone that takes it will not fail, as they teach directly to the simple short multiple choice test. I'm sure there are instructors out there selling the licenses with minimal/none of them actually attending the course. Much like the drivers license program. What does probably have an effect is the several month "waiting period" after that it takes to receive your card in the mail. I agree with magazine restrictions but don't believe pinning magazine has really any effect since it takes less that 2min to convert them back to their full 30+ rnd capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post
    Lets play a game since there are lots of non gun guys in here, and reading some of the responses that people seem to think you need a RPAL to own an "assault rifle"
    You don't need an RPAL to own all "assault rifles", in fact you can accessorize many regular rifles to basically be what most people would look at and call an "assault rifle" which seems to be the point of your post as well. Some are covered under the RPAL, some aren't. Canada also has a really bad habit making anything restricted that even resembles the public perception of an "assault rifle".

My point is mostly the same as yours however. The Canadian gun course is a joke, I think everyone in my class passed with 100% and it's a 1-2 day affair depending if you want both licenses or not. You could easily pass without even buying the reading materials and just half paying attention in class - 80% of the test is basic common sense, and there's the odd question you might have to pick up in class. The wait period isn't several months, it's 28 days. With mailing time, I think I waited 30-31 days total and I also know you can call the RCMP and have them move things along quicker as long as the wait period has been complete.

I would also agree that magazine restrictions are 100% useless unless it's physically impossible to modify them, because the current pin method is not a deterrent for your average farm boy let alone someone willing to go on a rampage. I was at The Shooting Edge once, and one of their rental pistols had an 18 round magazine in it. I got some funny looks after the 10th or 12th shot, and then I reported it to their staff.

When High River flooded, the RCMP came in and took people's guns - that was a MAJOR problem for them even here in Canada, imagine trying to do that in the USA haha. On top of that they had to search every single house for firearms because there is no registry and they couldn't just look up who had what guns.

My Ride

Ya all the guns I posted there are non restricted and are very similar to an ARxx. Wepon laws in canada are messed up and in some cases we are less restrictive than the US. (50BMG is regulated in a few states.)

Throwing knives are legal, Throwing stars are illegal
    Slingshots are Legal, Blow-gun are illegal
    Switch Blades are illegal, Assisted opening knives are legal (matter of semantics really)
    1handed crossbows are illegal, 2handed are legal
    RPG-x and 35mm grenade launcher are unrestricted. (ammo is controlled though)
    .50BMG anti material rifles are handled the same as a hunting rifle...
    Flamethowers are unregulated...

That second to last gun i posted is a UTS15 it holds 15x 12G rounds and is unrestricted think of the damage one could cause with something like that?

If someone wanted to go on a terror spree I don't know why they would bother with any of the few restricted guns when there are so many NR that are equivalent and cheaper...

28days is the minimum waiting period but very few actually get them in that time frame. Mine took around 3 months and neither of my references were actually contacted...

28days is the minimum waiting period but very few actually get them in that time frame. Mine took around 3 months and neither of my references were actually contacted...
    3 months is crazy long, you could have called them on the 28th day and they would have shipped it out - thats what lots of guys on CGN did (lots of long threads on there regarding this if you're interested) and they are very accommodating. They did call my references though. I called them on day 28 to try speed it up but it had already been sent out.

But yeah I completely agree - there is VERY little standing in your way in Canada if you want to do something terrible like in Florida. The only difference is a short waiting period which is totally useless if it's a planned event as that one was, for over a year. It boils down to the quality of the background checks and the mental health of the individual at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-01-2018 at 05:24 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    3 months is crazy long, you could have called them on the 28th day and they would have shipped it out - thats what lots of guys on CGN did (lots of long threads on there regarding this if you're interested) and they are very accommodating. They did call my references though. I called them on day 28 to try speed it up but it had already been sent out.

But yeah I completely agree - there is VERY little standing in your way in Canada if you want to do something terrible like in Florida. The only difference is a short waiting period which is totally useless if it's a planned event as that one was, for over a year. It boils down to the quality of the background checks and the mental health of the individual at the end of the day.
    Ya i followed the thread on CGN irt the process. https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...Approval-Times First line in that post says 4-5months wait is not unusual. I was in no rush to get my PAL i just got concerned when 90 days rolled around and none of my references where contacted so I phoned the number listed in the thread to see what was up and they said it was just being processed atm. Then it showed up the week after. Have heard time differs alot with the time of the year. I sent mine away end of september via registered mail like suggested.

At the end of the day they need to clean up the laws and actually enforce them, not just keep knee-jerk reaction into new laws that they hardly enforce...(eg 10/22 mags)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If gun laws in Canada are more lax and the training/education is also "a joke", what is the cause of difference in gun violence between the US and Canada?

Fruit for thought from a gun owner and their disapproval for the NRA:

https://www.outsideonline.com/228447...n=facebookpost
    Ultracrepidarian

Ya i followed the thread on CGN irt the process. https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...Approval-Times First line in that post says 4-5months wait is not unusual. I was in no rush to get my PAL i just got concerned when 90 days rolled around and none of my references where contacted so I phoned the number listed in the thread to see what was up and they said it was just being processed atm. Then it showed up the week after. Have heard time differs alot with the time of the year. I sent mine away end of september via registered mail like suggested.

At the end of the day they need to clean up the laws and actually enforce them, not just keep knee-jerk reaction into new laws that they hardly enforce...(eg 10/22 mags)
    When I did all my research and went through the process it was about 5 years ago, so maybe they are slower now - mine was extremely fast, and there were numerous accounts of people getting them a couple days after the 28 day period. Maybe I got lucky with time of year? I did it in the summer though when I imagine they would be busiest. If you're not in a hurry though then yeah it doesn't really make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    If gun laws in Canada are more lax and the training/education is also "a joke", what is the cause of difference in gun violence between the US and Canada?

Fruit for thought from a gun owner and their disapproval for the NRA:

https://www.outsideonline.com/228447...n=facebookpost
    Have you taken the course? I don't think there are many people that don't get 100%, it's multiple choice with super obvious wrong answers and 80 or 90% extremely basic common sense (like don't point a gun at a another person, don't put your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to fire, etc.), and about 10% of it is a couple cherry picked questions where you need to have a number memorized or something. I think just about anyone could pass the test without even attending the class. The practical portion, again, if you know how a gun works and don't point it at the instructor, you will get 100%. I did mine at the shooting edge, I think it was two 3hr classes because I did one for PAL and one for RPAL. The classes were also completely unnecessary if you just read the handbook, but I don't remember if you had a choice there or not.

Personally I think it's the higher number of mentally ill people in the USA (with limited resources for help), combined with other socioeconomic factors and useless background checks. I think everyone agrees the Florida shooter should never have been allowed to buy the gun he had. Regarding gun deaths in general, I think prevalence of gangs also has a lot to do with it. I think it's a number of factors that when combined make for a higher average rate in the USA than anywhere else - I don't think there is one thing we can change and fix it. 2/3 of the gun deaths are suicides, and of the remaining 1/3 most are gang violence (I think 80% was the figure I read).

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...from-misfiring

N.R.A. Proposes Having Second Armed Teacher in Every Classroom to Stop First Armed Teacher from Misfiring

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Hours after an armed teacher in a Northern California classroom fired a gun and injured a student, the head of the National Rifle Association proposed placing a second armed teacher in every classroom, to shoot the first armed teacher before he or she can do harm.

“Had there been a second armed teacher in the classroom to shoot the first armed teacher, this regrettable incident would never have occurred,” Wayne LaPierre said. “The only thing that stops a bad teacher with a gun is a good teacher with a gun.”

The N.R.A. executive vice-president said, “In a perfect world, you would have a third armed teacher, in case the second one messes up, but right now I’d settle for two.”

He blamed anti-gun activists for blocking measures that would allow multiple teachers with guns to shoot at one another and thus keep the nation’s classrooms safe. “It’s time to stop the madness,” he said.
    (Before anyone gets all uppity cause nobody fact checks anymore, this is a satire article.)

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast