Quantcast
Star Trek Discovery - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

I watched 3 episodes of Orville, and was incredibly surprised. I was expecting some sort of slap stick Trek mockery, but for the most part, this show is Trek.

The pilot had a couple of low brow jokes, but the 2nd and 3rd episode got into serious issues with some decent humour. I'm really looking forward to watching the rest, and ya, Orville is far closer to Trek than Discovery.

The casting in this series is terrible. I lost my dinner in the sex scene with Admiral Cornwell... the captain was literally sleeping with someone's grandmother. She's approaching 60, couldn't they have cast someone younger if the role was meant to play the captain's love interest?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

They're only 3 years apart

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The casting in this series is terrible. I lost my dinner in the sex scene with Admiral Cornwell... the captain was literally sleeping with someone's grandmother. She's approaching 60, couldn't they have cast someone younger if the role was meant to play the captain's love interest?
    How old are you? 12?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

They are the same age, roughly because they knew each other when they were young, many decades ago. Would have made zero sense to cast someone younger.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post
    Totally man, I mean how the hell did they even have sex when everybody knows women's vaginas seal up after they turn 45.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post

We’ll see how it goes, it’s way to left for me though.
    The whole Trek universe (the Federation more specifically) is super-left to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    I'm feeling the same way. I'll watch Discovery all the way through, but there are some big problems with it. The whole mushroom drive thing needs to go away. This has never been mentioned in any other part of the canon that I'm aware of and seems like a massive continuity problem. I don't mind the acting; the directing seems ok, but the plot is not gripping. The characters are reasonably interesting, but they're working with some pretty bad story material. In this serialized style of TV shows now, they're stuck with this plot for the rest of the season instead of having a reset every episode. I wish the writers had had the courage to not make it a wartime series and stick to what Trek is supposed to be about.
    I think wartime is a more interesting era. Early Federation has already been covered by Enterprise, space exploration has already been covered by TOS and TNG and diplomacy has been covered by DS9. Quite frankly, if you've ever tried to binge watch any of those series, one thing becomes apparent: There is an incredible amount of storyline recycling that happens every year. By my count when I tried to binge DS9 awhile ago, every 26-episode season consisted of 3 time travel episodes and 3-4 alternate universe episodes.

I'm not a big Star Trek person, but what has always fascinated me about ST has been the expanded universe that surrounds the series/show. I think Discovery does a pretty good job of showing other parts of the Trek timeline beyond what has already been showed by the other shows.

I also like the idea of the spore drive. But I like it because we know that there's been no mention of the spore drive in the other shows which occur later than Discovery. So we know the technology is going to be deemed untenable for whatever reason. Maybe they can't find enough targrades to equip new ships? Maybe it ends up being too volatile and the Discovery is doomed to explode in a season or two? To me, it's like watching a movie about the Titanic or biographies about dead people: you know it's going to end badly, but it'll be interesting to see how it gets there.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

I didn’t mind that episode.

Too bad Admiral Hornwell died, or did she?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Audi

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post

I also like the idea of the spore drive. But I like it because we know that there's been no mention of the spore drive in the other shows which occur later than Discovery. So we know the technology is going to be deemed untenable for whatever reason. Maybe they can't find enough targrades to equip new ships? Maybe it ends up being too volatile and the Discovery is doomed to explode in a season or two? To me, it's like watching a movie about the Titanic or biographies about dead people: you know it's going to end badly, but it'll be interesting to see how it gets there.
    It's SciFi - so they could always just introduce more time travel and rewriting the past to make the spore drive never exist!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    It's SciFi - so they could always just introduce more time travel and rewriting the past to make the spore drive never exist!
    I don't think it's even necessary. How many times in history do we discuss failed inventions? If it weren't for Mazda and their weird obsession, you'd likely never hear of a rotary engine.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    You guys are fucked.

I've seen every episode of every Trek. Discovery departs a bit but is totally on point with what Trek would be in 2017. Lots of fun and is enjoyable to watch. WTF time travel ALREADY though. Goddammit.
    Agreed. I don't like it as much as I liked TNG when it first aired, but I'm enjoying it.

I gave up when a time traveling bad ass Harry Mudd showed up. This sort of crap usually only raises its ugly head near the end of a series that's run out of new ideas.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by HHURICANE1 View Post
    I gave up when a time traveling bad ass Harry Mudd showed up. This sort of crap usually only raises its ugly head near the end of a series that's run out of new ideas.
    I liked his intro in the Klingon ship, but yeah I thought he was brought back WAY too soon. Mudd is a once a season (or every other season) kind of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I liked his intro in the Klingon ship, but yeah I thought he was brought back WAY too soon. Mudd is a once a season (or every other season) kind of character.
    That "character" should've had a different name from the start. What we got bore no resemblance at all to the Harry Mudd of original series fame. He was not particularly intelligent and definitely not a murderous thug.

My main complaints with STD:
    - Klingons are different in every respect. Why not have just made them a different race completely?
    - Sarek raising a human. Why not have Michael's parents be a different high ranking Vulcan couple rather than Sarek and Amanda
    - rather than Mudd, could've been a new/different privateer/pirate

With those three subtle changes they could've still told the stories they want to tell while avoiding the inconsistencies and conflicts. To enjoy STD to its fullest you almost have to pretend all prior Star Trek never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    - Klingons are different in every respect.
    They're now lizard people that talk very slowly and only in consonants.

My Ride
    ute

I started watching Orville, too. Holy shit, great show.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    That "character" should've had a different name from the start. What we got bore no resemblance at all to the Harry Mudd of original series fame. He was not particularly intelligent and definitely not a murderous thug.

My main complaints with STD:
    - Klingons are different in every respect. Why not have just made them a different race completely?
    - Sarek raising a human. Why not have Michael's parents be a different high ranking Vulcan couple rather than Sarek and Amanda
    - rather than Mudd, could've been a new/different privateer/pirate

With those three subtle changes they could've still told the stories they want to tell while avoiding the inconsistencies and conflicts. To enjoy STD to its fullest you almost have to pretend all prior Star Trek never existed.
    I started googling stuff to see what the explanation was. The jist of it seems to be that there was an outbreak of a Klingon-made virus during the Enterprise days that took away a lot of the physical characteristics of Klingons and gave them human ones. So the rationale is that during this era there are two types of Klingons: the uneffected ones and the effected ones. The effected ones are apparently the only Klingons that ever appeared on the Original Series and look nothing like the Klingons in the later shows - basically looking like humans with bushy eyebrows. Over time, the effects of the virus wore down through the generations, which then gave the universe a more even mix of Klingon and human traits.

In the real world, they also explain that the look of Klingons has been different through all the shows, and thus there has never been a consistent depiction of Klingons to begin with.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

So is suspension of disbelief not a trait for people watching sci-fi anymore?

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I started watching Orville, too. Holy shit, great show.
    Ok fine, I'll try it. Adding it to Sonarr.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    i started googling stuff to see what the explanation was. The jist of it seems to be that there was an outbreak of a klingon-made virus during the enterprise days that took away a lot of the physical characteristics of klingons and gave them human ones. So the rationale is that during this era there are two types of klingons: The uneffected ones and the effected ones. The effected ones are apparently the only klingons that ever appeared on the original series and look nothing like the klingons in the later shows - basically looking like humans with bushy eyebrows. Over time, the effects of the virus wore down through the generations, which then gave the universe a more even mix of klingon and human traits.

In the real world, they also explain that the look of klingons has been different through all the shows, and thus there has never been a consistent depiction of klingons to begin with.
    ‘a’

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast